British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
John Leslie

Should Greg Hancock Ride For Usa?

Well done to Philip Rising for his article in today's Star about Hancock's no show at Belle Vue. Very eloquently writing about how the vast majority of fans felt about his no show and the questionable reasons given to explain his no show.

• Like 4

Well done to Philip Rising for his article in today's Star about Hancock's no show at Belle Vue. Very eloquently writing about how the vast majority of fans felt about his no show and the questionable reasons given to explain his no show.

THANK you

Hancock's always had a very strong following over here so naturally people were looking forward to two official appearances from him here this year, at Cardiff and Belle Vue.

His contempt for those people by pulling-out was made even worse by the flimsy excuse. He's not the first American to totally misjudge his British following and the last one didn't hang around the sport to find out.

Having had a fair number of dealings with Team USA in the eighties while I welcomed their talent and flair I could see how shallow the smiles were. Greg isn't the first to finally show his true colours. I'd like to remind Greg that it was the opportunity to race in Britain that elevated him from being another big fish in a very small Californian pool into a world figure in the sport. How quickly they forget.

Whatever long-term grudge Greg may have with the BSPA for losing out on a team place here due to the points limit in the early 2000s he should not take it out on his fans here.

I doubt whether any future appearances in the UK will be so anticipated.

It does leave one final thought. Just how much more do British Speedway supporters have to take? We've seen the degeneration of the Elite League and the world's best riders turn their backs on it. We have to tolerate desperate decision-making resulting in farcical rules, poor tracks and far too many heat 10 dashes. It's always the fan here that loses.

It's not that we have so few that's remarkable - It's a wonder we still have so many. We don't need the likes of Hancock also putting the boot in.

The grin's looking rather plastic now.

Edited by rmc
  • Like 4

You know Rob, thats a real tough statement you put out there....... but it sounds about right to me.

You know Rob, thats a real tough statement you put out there....... but it sounds about right to me.

Thanks, it's tough because I care deeply for British Speedway and am incensed by the way it's been walked over and the fans short-changed for far too many years now. The Hancock case is just the latest.

Our goodwill has been abused by all and sundry for far too long and nobody seems to give a damn - too busy arguing over trivialities and whether their team's bigger than the next guy's.

Someone has got to start thinking about those who are left and haven't walked away - before they do.

Someone posted on another thread that we must not pander to those wanting 20 heats for a tenner. Well someone had better start some pandering to those who are left rather than simply complain when they disappear!

If we'd 'pandered' to the customers we once had then perhaps they might still be customers.

The question asked was "Should Greg Hancock ride for the USA?" Since the only real reason for watching the decayed Team USA is to watch him ride the answer is simple Yes. To do otherwise is showing contempt for those buying tickets.

Edited by rmc
  • Like 3

I do think this situation has been handled badly by Greg.

Over the years though, I think it's fair to say he has invariably given a lot to US Speedway. It must be tough to motivate yourself when no matter how many points you score, the team is unlikely to have any success.

He has stuck with it though for the best part of 27 years. That's some service.