British Speedway Forum
Sidney the robin

What Changes Have To Be Made In 2017?

I don’t know how many GP riders there will be next season, it isn’t next season yet…. so to bring that up is futile and adds no weight in favour or against the point you are making despite a seeming notion that it would.

The GP riders who are racing here have committed and generally don't miss.… Jonssson, Zagar, Harris, Doyle, Holder and Lindgren have an attendance record that is comparable to any of their team mates. It is straw man creation on your part to say those riders are the guilty party here, just as it is to lay the blame at their door for the sport “dying”.

It is also well and good to position it that things would be better if GP riders weren’t here yes, it could just as easily be worse/could have been a lot worse – and their removal could bludgeon it “for the masses” even further, but there isn't the tangible evidence to prove/disprove that idea, yet despite that it still is placed that GP riders = bad, bad for the sport in this country.

If anything though, there probably isn’t the evidence to suggest they (GP riders) are the cost drain/main issue here - they could just as easily pay for themselves due to the attendees they convince to stick with a club, sponsors they attract and the higher profile they raise. The number of years they have all returned/been asked back to race in GB suggests the majority of promotions don’t think they are the issue – the only people who position the likes of Lindgren, Zagar and Holder etc as issues are fans on a forum..

Of all the issues currently in this country, and there are many - I would hazard a guess that GP riders being here is lower down the list than is oft positioned, the above mentioned riders have brought a lot to British Speedway over the years. I find the genuine eagerness to turn backs on them quite bizarre, they have done little to actually merit that decision, they have been loyal servants who have genuinely only ever shown the sport in a good light – the main driver for their omission seems to be the costs involved in having them here, costs which most know little about in terms of what they actually cost, and what they actually bring in, and thus there really isn't any reason for them not to be here if clubs feel they can afford and accommodate them.

Edited by The Mockingjay

Quite high given clubs generally attract both each season?

I ment new sponsors & NEW supporters, what is the average age of current speedway supporters? I would guess it's about 50, speedway needs more NEW younger supporters, but we will not get them (or keep them) unless we have a sport with CREDIBILITY & that's not whats on offer in 2016.

• Like 1

This thread is about 2017 so my ideas are based on next year, not sure if you have seen my ideas for next year but I'd suggest if you were a gp rider you may rule yourself out.

If riders can't double up as its a north/south split they will need lots of meetings to earn

We'll be here this time next year, those whose hearts are still beating that is, still discussing what speedway needs to draw crowds like years ago. And, 12 months on... we'll still be attacking fellow speedway folk who, afterall, are on a forum because of their collective fondness of the sport but rip holes out of each other because it is not an idea another poster wants.

And you really wonder why promoters never listen to us, instead having the barefaced cheek to protect all that money they've invested.

It is like having that ideal woman but wanting to change at least 20 things you don't like about her, so that others who don't know her, haven't seen her or know she even exists, will be attracted to her. Then your mate - get this - has the cheek to add a 21st thing to your list of dislikes.... and you end by defending her... and, also, by arguing and throwing insults at each other.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 1

This thread is about 2017 so my ideas are based on next year, not sure if you have seen my ideas for next year but I'd suggest if you were a gp rider you may rule yourself out.

If riders can't double up as its a north/south split they will need lots of meetings to earn

I don't think your ideas that good, nor do I get why it's positioned like a actual thing people have to decide on or not.... Edited by The Mockingjay

We shall be here next year for sure lol but there are people who have been involved in sport who have good ideas but its human nature to object to change which you don't have to agree with but ultimately you have to respect