British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mdmc82

Nordic Gorzow Grand Prix 27th August

What a fantastic GP meeting that was, glad I attended fabulous weekend with the Sunday meeting at Bydgoszcz. Only had chance to watch the Zmarzlick exclusion, the Semi's & Final on the TV sine return. Thought exclusion at the time was wrong, cconvincedof it now, if anything Iversen (who has been my favourite GP rider for the last few years) actually kicked Zmarzlicks dirt deflector once Zmarzlick had passed him and if the deflector hit Iversens front wheel it was minimal and there was more than enough room for Iversen to go wide.

Fantastic final heat, still surprised Doyle won. Woffinden blew him away in the semi riding the inside and Zmarzlick had looked nigh untouchable all night.

I'll watch it all again, sometime this week :)

If he won it he would be the worst rider to win the WC for years in probably the most average GP line up ever.

That was Loram

And really excited when they don't, I can't listen to him, does my head in. Sometimes less is more.

Pearson is past his sell by date, got fallen rider mixed up, Tatum had to correct him on green light starters orders, it's ok to get excited but screaming a load of rubbish statements in not, very irritating.

Pearson is past his sell by date, got fallen rider mixed up, Tatum had to correct him on green light starters orders, it's ok to get excited but screaming a load of rubbish statements in not, very irritating.

one mistake means past sell by date. very harsh, ridiculous statement

Edited by marky

Mark loram the worst rider to ever win the world championship!!!!!!!!!! Sorry I don't agree with that. Maybe the worst gater but the year he won he was fantastic & just look at the riders he beat that year. Had a chat with Jason crump in Prague a few years back & he felt Mark was the most talented rider he ever rode against

• Like 2

Mark loram the worst rider to ever win the world championship!!!!!!!!!! Sorry I don't agree with that. Maybe the worst gater but the year he won he was fantastic & just look at the riders he beat that year. Had a chat with Jason crump in Prague a few years back & he felt Mark was the most talented rider he ever rode against

IMO yes he was the weakest world champion didnt win a round the year he won and never really challenged other than that year

Tbf Loram and holder stand out as maybe the weakest world champs under the GP format, given neither have made the top 3 in any other year.

It's not an insult, someone has to be the worst world champion and it's arguably better than being the best to never win it.

Would note I would rank both the above well ahead of some one time world champs in the previous gp era.

• Like 1

So fantastic that he didn't win a single round that year?

I find it strange that anybody can be a weak World Champ over a GP season,is that not what the system was introduced for to find the most consistent rider over the season,unlike The Pole who beat Ivan Mauger to win the Champoinship probably the only big meeting he ever won and Ivan had to fall to give him that win.

• Like 1

Loram was one of the very best riders I saw and one of the most exciting too. He beat all the others under the rules of that season. Less GP's in them days so less chance to win a GP. Even now we hear Tai and Hancock saying "get to the semi then think of the final" to accumulate points. It doesn't matter if they win a GP as its the final points total that counts.

I find it strange that anybody can be a weak World Champ over a GP season,is that not what the system was introduced for to find the most consistent rider over the season,unlike The Pole who beat Ivan Mauger to win the Champoinship probably the only big meeting he ever won and Ivan had to fall to give him that win.

Tbh I don't think you can be a weak world champion per second under the gp system. But I guess you can be weak compared to other gp winners.

Tbh I don't think you can be a weak world champion per second under the gp system. But I guess you can be weak compared to other gp winners.[/quoteI would call him a smart World Champ by riding sensibly to get points just like someone else says that's what Woffy and Greg are always on about when interviewed they are not to bothered if they don't win on the night as long as they are scoring good points.To me Mark Loram and Peter Collins were 2 of the most talented riders in their day but only won 1 World Champ each.They were pure entertainment though.

Pc some way ahead of Loram though, when you look at their achievements there is no comparison. In the 70s PC would rate only behind olden and Mauger, Loram not close to being in the top 3 riders in any decade.

Both hugely talented and entertaining for sure.

TBF Loram was a top 3 rider the year before but because the year before that he'd be ill and had a bad year he missed out on the GPs. Take his average points per GP in '99 and he'd have easily been 3rd. And don't forget that ever GP he had to start from the qualifier heats where as the other top guys started later in the meeting based on their result in the previous GP. So while he may not have medals to say he was ever top 3 at any other time, he was in reality in '99 and he surely went into 2000 as one of the favourites for the title.

2nd, 2nd, 5th, 3rd, 5th and 6th is a seasons record most riders would kill for! In 2013 Woffy had twice any many GPs to compete in but only won a single GP, same with Ha0ncock in '14 and Nicki in '08

SZCZAKIEL scored 15 points and won the World Pairs in 1971 with Andrzej Wyglenda against opposition that included Barry Briggs, Ivan Mauger and Anders Michanek