British Speedway Forum
Dandelion

Newcastle 2017

Connor Coles... 3 in the National League tonight, was he ok? Or did he simply just not score the points? The SpeedwayGB website just shows the numbers, not the situation and the Speedway Updates website didn't cover the meeting he was in...

On another note, I see Steve is out new number 1, no surprise there...

Yep. Effective from 8th June (away at Sheffield). Stevie 9.09, Robert 8.95.

• Like 1

I'm completely lost now, sorry.

Here's a thought. We have a long and proud tradition of non-scoring reserves who get a decent run - Mark Blackwell and Sam Dore spring to mind. Would Connor or Ben have beaten them?

Answers on a postcard please to Powerful Reserve Compo, Newcastle Stadium, Byker

I'm completely lost now, sorry.

Here's a thought. We have a long and proud tradition of non-scoring reserves who get a decent run - Mark Blackwell and Sam Dore spring to mind. Would Connor or Ben have beaten them?

Answers on a postcard please to Powerful Reserve Compo, Newcastle Stadium, Byker

I thought Ben did OK last week at home to Scunthorpe.

Sam Dore scored 12 + 4 from 48 rides in 12 matches for us. Mark Blackwell scored 18+4 from 51 rides in 13 matches.

I think Ben will at least equal those tally's. Connor? Not sure.

Now that Connor has been axed by Eastbourne, he won't get the extra rides I think he needs to help him in the SGB Championship. But, as far as I can see, there aren't many options out there to replace him with. Jake Knight and David Wallinger have both been mentioned. Jake Knight tried what was the PL and didn't last too long. David Wallinger seems to have improved in the NL this season, but is he ready for the SGBC? Would either be willing to join us in the second-tier? It's just a shame that James Shanes' schedule on the Grasstrack and Longtrack circuit can't fit around speedway. Even if it could, we wouldn't be the only ones after his services, as has already been seen by Ipswich trying to sign him.

I thought Ben did OK last week at home to Scunthorpe.

Sam Dore scored 12 + 4 from 48 rides in 12 matches for us. Mark Blackwell scored 18+4 from 51 rides in 13 matches.

I think Ben will at least equal those tally's. Connor? Not sure.

Now that Connor has been axed by Eastbourne, he won't get the extra rides I think he needs to help him in the SGB Championship. But, as far as I can see, there aren't many options out there to replace him with. Jake Knight and David Wallinger have both been mentioned. Jake Knight tried what was the PL and didn't last too long. David Wallinger seems to have improved in the NL this season, but is he ready for the SGBC? Would either be willing to join us in the second-tier? It's just a shame that James Shanes' schedule on the Grasstrack and Longtrack circuit can't fit around speedway. Even if it could, we wouldn't be the only ones after his services, as has already been seen by Ipswich trying to sign him.

Ben Hopwood is a decent reserve, he is scoring pretty well (for him), home and away and I think he's averaging more than 1/1.5 point a meeting... So he'd outscore both Sam and Mark's scores easily I would have thought, not that I've heard of either of them :P

Connor, probably won't equal them, he's not even scoring a single point in most meetings, no offence to him, but he needs to find an NL team and just stick with them for now... I feel it'll just get worse now Eastbourne have dropped him too... Maybe Mildenhall can fit him back in somehow?

Connor has 6 points from 10 meetings... 1 second place and 4 3rd places (averaging 0.6 points a meeting)

Ben has 15 points from 5 meetings... 3 second places and 9 3rd places (averaging 3 points a meeting)

Obviously if Connor sticks at speedway, he will get better than Ben, he has more potential, but for now, I'd rather Ben over Connor... And maybe get another reserve in, even if it means sacrifices to the top 5, a reserve who can actually win a race... And have Ben at 7 (Where he'll score even more points than he already does at 6, a much harder position)

I think that Jake Knight would be a good option, obviously, he'll want to ride for us first... But he is a much better rider than Connor is in the NL for starters, he's much more experienced, and all the Eastbourne fans I've spoken to seem to think Jake and Connor are in different leagues... Yeah, Jake tried the PL in the past, years ago, when he was relatively new to the sport and when the league was so much better than it is now... But I think now that he is older, better and has more experiences, he'd be a much better rider in a weaker league... I'd like to see him in Newcastle colours...

As for Connor, I hope he gets an NL team place, but if Newcastle want to do anything this year... We need another rider in for him, sorry, it's harsh, but it's reality... I know this is controversial, but would Steve Boxall come in on his old average of 5ish whatever it is, or will he come in on a new assessed average? Also, I know he's got a 3.85 average, but Ben Morley would be nice to squeeze in somehow... Dan Halsey, Nathan Stoneman, Dan Greenwood and Liam Carr are all names I'd like to see in Diamonds kevlars and riders who I think could score a few more than what Connor is...

Ben Hopwood is a decent reserve, he is scoring pretty well (for him), home and away and I think he's averaging more than 1/1.5 point a meeting... So he'd outscore both Sam and Mark's scores easily I would have thought, not that I've heard of either of them :P

Connor, probably won't equal them, he's not even scoring a single point in most meetings, no offence to him, but he needs to find an NL team and just stick with them for now... I feel it'll just get worse now Eastbourne have dropped him too... Maybe Mildenhall can fit him back in somehow?

Connor has 6 points from 10 meetings... 1 second place and 4 3rd places (averaging 0.6 points a meeting)

Ben has 15 points from 5 meetings... 3 second places and 9 3rd places (averaging 3 points a meeting)

Obviously if Connor sticks at speedway, he will get better than Ben, he has more potential, but for now, I'd rather Ben over Connor... And maybe get another reserve in, even if it means sacrifices to the top 5, a reserve who can actually win a race... And have Ben at 7 (Where he'll score even more points than he already does at 6, a much harder position)

I think that Jake Knight would be a good option, obviously, he'll want to ride for us first... But he is a much better rider than Connor is in the NL for starters, he's much more experienced, and all the Eastbourne fans I've spoken to seem to think Jake and Connor are in different leagues... Yeah, Jake tried the PL in the past, years ago, when he was relatively new to the sport and when the league was so much better than it is now... But I think now that he is older, better and has more experiences, he'd be a much better rider in a weaker league... I'd like to see him in Newcastle colours...

As for Connor, I hope he gets an NL team place, but if Newcastle want to do anything this year... We need another rider in for him, sorry, it's harsh, but it's reality... I know this is controversial, but would Steve Boxall come in on his old average of 5ish whatever it is, or will he come in on a new assessed average? Also, I know he's got a 3.85 average, but Ben Morley would be nice to squeeze in somehow... Dan Halsey, Nathan Stoneman, Dan Greenwood and Liam Carr are all names I'd like to see in Diamonds kevlars and riders who I think could score a few more than what Connor is...

I wouldn't touch Boxall with a barge pole and, anyway, he'd only injure is hand somehow.... ;)

I can see Ben adding point to his average based on his home performances,but its hard for a rider nobody wanted start of the season on a 2 average to become sole source of points for a team riding against better riders especially away. Tomorrow massive meeting for Conner without Ludvig, and possibly Rose don't know if he fit we need reserve points its a must. Also well done Josh Embleton on getting guest booking for Stoke hope he does well.

Edited by Big Diamond
  • Like 1

I wouldn't touch Boxall with a barge pole and, anyway, he'd only injure is hand somehow.... ;)

Maybe I'm bias because I used to live in Plymouth, and they're my second team, but I quite like Boxall :P Plus, he's only got to be an improvement on Connor, although as I said, I bet he'd come in on his 5 something average...

I can see Ben adding point to his average based on his home performances,but its hard for a rider nobody wanted start of the season on a 2 average to become sole source of points for a team riding against better riders especially away. Tomorrow massive meeting for Conner without Ludvig, and possibly Rose don't know if he fit we need reserve points its a must. Also well done Josh Embleton on getting guest booking for Stoke hope he does well.

I don't think Ben will become our source of points from reserve, that's why I'm saying he should be out 'junior' reserve, at 7... And find someone else to be out 'senior' reserve... Where is Ludvig for tomorrow? And I do hope Lewis is fit enough to take his place... Well done Josh, that's what you need, NL time

He's put on Facebook (when somebody asked him) that is OK for tomorrow

Maybe I'm bias because I used to live in Plymouth, and they're my second team, but I quite like Boxall :P Plus, he's only got to be an improvement on Connor, although as I said, I bet he'd come in on his 5 something average...

I don't think Ben will become our source of points from reserve, that's why I'm saying he should be out 'junior' reserve, at 7... And find someone else to be out 'senior' reserve... Where is Ludvig for tomorrow? And I do hope Lewis is fit enough to take his place... Well done Josh, that's what you need, NL time

Germany in a GP Qualifier

He's put on Facebook (when somebody asked him) that is OK for tomorrow

Germany in a GP Qualifier

That's good

And I didn't realize that was tomorrow, thanks, do we get a guest because it's another event or does it have to be R/R? I was going to say if we have to use an NL rider, if that rule still exists, just throw Josh Embleton in there, but I'd rather he got the ride at Stoke instead

That's good

And I didn't realize that was tomorrow, thanks, do we get a guest because it's another event or does it have to be R/R? I was going to say if we have to use an NL rider, if that rule still exists, just throw Josh Embleton in there, but I'd rather he got the ride at Stoke instead

R/R, with Josh Embleton the named number 8.

R/R, with Josh Embleton the named number 8.

Literally just was reading that on the website, thanks :P

Hope Josh gets a ride, maybe for Connor... Josh could have 2, one of R/R and one of Connors 4 rides, so he gets 3, share them out :P

I agree which is why Ben has to much pressure he going be inconsistent at least he needs somebody who can at least average 3 and rotate the role at the minute if Ben struggles we struggle. Good news about rose but wonder how r/r work with both him and Ludvig on the same average hopefully Steve can have a ride could make the difference.

Edited by Big Diamond

Literally just was reading that on the website, thanks :P

Hope Josh gets a ride, maybe for Connor... Josh could have 2, one of R/R and one of Connors 4 rides, so he gets 3, share them out :P

He can only take an R/R ride.