British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
daveallan81

1970 Kenex 4tt

I am working from the 1970 season file on Speedway Researcher. This 4 team tournament was between Eastbourne, Canterbury, Romford and Rayleigh and the results are shown in this order.

Leg 1: 31/08 at Rayleigh: 20 v 22 v 19 v 35

Leg 2: 13/09 at Eastbourne: 12 v 09 v 14 v 07 Aband Heat 7 - rain - result stands

Leg 3: 03/10 at Canterbury: 19 v 42 v 21 v 14

Leg 4: 11/10 at Eastbourne: 33 v 29 v 11 v 23

The aggregate scores are given as East 84 Can 104 Rom 65 Ray 79. The above figures indicate Canterbury scored 102. The matches all show the requisite number of total points (3 x 96 and 1 x 42) so I believe the 104 to be wrong.

Into the mix comes a rained off fixture on 13/09 at Rye House, an un-titled 4TT with Eastbourne, Canterbury & Romford. Would two meetings in one day have been scheduled? Were they 'B' teams? Was it actually a Rayleigh fixture? Was it perhaps at Rye as a replacement for the missing Romford leg? Or was it simply as shown, a 4TT ran before or after the abandoned match at Eastbourne?

I must add I find it strange that the abandoned match at Eastbourne was declared as a result. It's early enough in the season for a re-staging, and the teams do reconvene on 11/10 so date availability doesn't seem to be an issue. Romford don't seem short of home dates, they stage 5 challenge matches from 17/09 till 22/10, so what happened to their leg?

If any track experts can nail this one down I'd appreciate it.

OK - I have some info - I have programmes for Eastbourne and Rayleigh.

Eastbourne cancelled at heat 7 - scores East 11, Rom 14, Ray 7, Cant 10 - slightly different to you

Eastbourne - RE RUN 11th October - scores East 33, Rom 11, Cant 29, Ray 23. -

(Crazy scores from Romford who scored less in 16 heats in the second match than in 7 heats in the previous match - Kevin Holden - 7 points first match, 0 points second match)

ALSO - this was the match when a few riders had a go on a penny-farthing - and I think someone broke a collar bone.

Rayleigh 31st August - East 20, Rom 19, Cant 22, Ray 35.

The match at Rye House would have had nothing to do with this tournament - it would have been a friendly. - Oh and Ive just checked the back of the Eastbourne programme - and it says it was rained off.

If you want a copy of the programmes - let me know.

Steve

Thanks for your reply Steve.

Regarding the different result, the only heat where an Eagle and a Crusader finished together was heat two, can you confirm which order the Kennett's finished in? I have Gordon 3rd, Dave 4th. Also note there were no heat times published for the meeting, was anything recorded in the programme?

So it appears that this was over 3 legs only with the 13/09 result not standing and no leg at Romford.

Heat 2 of the rained off meeting - finishing order - Des Lukehurst Romford, Hugh Saunders Rayleigh, David Kennett Canterbury, Gordon Kennett Eastbourne.

I think Canterbury 'borrowed' David Kennett from Eastbourne - as I dont recall him contracted to them (unlike Barney). He replaced Jake Rennison.

In the rerun meeting he was lent to Romford!

I have only 2 times for the rained off meeting - heat one - 72.0, heat two - 69.0. I would normally record them - so maybe the rest werent issued...

The Eastbourne programme specifies an away meeting for this tournament on 11th October - but doesnt say which track. (not Rayleigh) - either Canterbury or Romford.

Steve

The Researcher file shows Dave Kennett as a guest. Perhaps Romford were going to stage the 11/10 meeting but for some reason couldn't do so.

With regards to the result of heat 2 it's entirely possible Speedway Star or whoever got the Kennetts the wrong way round.

Thanks again.