British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Shale Searcher

Which Teams Will Line Up To Contest The 2017 Elite League?

Sheffield don't seem keen to move up at the moment,this what Damien Bates said in the Star a few weeks back...

"There would have to be a lot of money on the table and I can't see that happening"

"There isn't really anything that tempts us the way things are at the moment and we are happy with the way we are right now"

In terms of teams?

Belle Vue

Coventry

Ipswich

Kings Lynn

Lakeside

Poole

Rye House

Swindon

Wolves

Hard to make predictions until squads are sorted but I would expect the usual suspects of BV and Poole to be up there.

We need more teams and therefore, more meetings. Not less.

It wouldnt mean fewer meetings. A top tier club would have its 10 or 12 top league fixtures, plus the fixtures from its participation in one of the regional leagues.

The regional league clubs (not including those also in the top tier) would be able to run cup competitions.

I use to love Telford with riders backing it in or messing up on bends 2 or 4. Since its demise Wolves fits the bill perfectly so for that reason I hope they stay.

Wolves won't be going anywhere :)

well if no team comes up and leicester do drop out isn't that the end of the EL sky contract?could be interesting....

What would Nige and Kel do on Monday nights?

Will there be enough riders to form an Elite league.

If the Poles have their way and limit riders to two clubs, then clubs will struggle as Leicester have to build sides.

Monday as one of the fixed nights won't work if we hope to attract the top riders. Both Wolves and Belle Vue, when they raced on a Monday, have said how difficult it is to attract those riders because most don't want to do Poland Sunday, UK Monday and Sweden Tuesday. In any event, to save on travelling and the costs any fixed nights need to be consecutive days, not Monday and Wednesday. Monday is also a bad day for attracting crowds.

Edited by Aces51

There are very few teams that can attract the really big crowds and we atm aren't one of them although we do very well for the premier. There would have to be big (100K) money on the table imo and no chance of that

well if no team comes up and leicester do drop out isn't that the end of the EL sky contract?

could be interesting....

Somebody will be offered three years indemnity against losses and free choice of a pool of riders to come up.

Changed minds last time.

Edited by Vincent Blackshadow

After what happened to Birmingham , I doubt any PL club would be tempted to move up a division . Trouble is , the crowds don't increase by enough to make it affordable

• Like 1

Monday or Wednesday designated race night, more teams and more meetings.

That will help bring more riders back and address fans concerns that the fixture list seems to be forever shrinking. Bring back one of the cups as well.

Well, BV certainly looked like learners on Monday night then, judging by that logic. Isn't some variety a good thing? Or do you want all tracks to be big, fast and continental?

Preferably yes.

It needs to be something different, 8 teams ain't enough, I don't know how we sort this mess out but the way it's going the top 3/4 clubs won't have anybody to race soon, people are not watching our sport on a weekly basis, the play offs prove there are still fans out there, but not going every week, a ten team EL would be ideal but where are the riders going to come from?

Is it squads that are needed or does the points limit have to come down, that won't please the biggies but it might give all teams a chance, don't think it can be solved at one agm so a longer plan needs to be the way to go, self interest plays such a part nowadays which I can understand but is it really helping the sport as a whole or is it killing it off very slowly, take a hit for 4/5 years with a weaker product and bring the youngsters through at PL level and hope they develop which will make our nation stronger, but with that will we lose the existing supporters ?

I don't think any of us know the way forward, someone must!