British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Shale Searcher

Which Teams Will Line Up To Contest The 2017 Elite League?

Wolverhampton provides good racing, different to the big tracks and has a significant home advantage but still good to watch. The old Belle Vue was similar and could be good but never provided the quality of racing consistently provided at Wolverhampton. However, neither can compete with the racing at the NSS. It's like being back at Hyde Road, I can't wait for the next meeting and I've not felt like that for many years.

• Like 3

I wonder if Peterborough will move up to make it 9.

Seem happy enough throwing money around with a higher turnover of staff than Asda.

Cook being E.L and Bjerre who is probably now GP aren't the cheapest riders to sign and would grace any Elite League side.

I would also like to see a big area such as Newcastle or Glasgow give it a go as there is no reason why they shouldn't have big enough fan bases with populations that make Poole look very tiny. Perhaps more advertising if they were joining the top league?

Not a lot to go on though after watching Leicester's swift but sad fall from grace.

• Like 1

I would love to see.

EL North

Belle Vue

Sheffield

Wolverhampton

Coventry

Leicester

Birmingham

EL South

Poole

Kings Lynn

Swindon

Lakesdie

Ipswich

Somerset

• Like 1

Wanna have 18 clubs in the league, KOC, Premiership Trophy, Spring Gold Cup, 4 Team Tournament, Best Pairs, ELRC at Belle Vue again, just like it all was in the 70s and 80s. Let the GP riders do what they want and we'll carry on with what's left.

They'll be back when the greedy Polish clubs go bankrupt.

Edited by Sniffy
  • Like 7

Wolverhampton provides good racing, different to the big tracks and has a significant home advantage but still good to watch. The old Belle Vue was similar and could be good but never provided the quality of racing consistently provided at Wolverhampton. However, neither can compete with the racing at the NSS. It's like being back at Hyde Road, I can't wait for the next meeting and I've not felt like that for many years.

It isn't like being back at Hyde Road, it's a lot better.

I wonder if Peterborough will move up to make it 9.

Seem happy enough throwing money around with a higher turnover of staff than Asda.

Cook being E.L and Bjerre who is probably now GP aren't the cheapest riders to sign and would grace any Elite League side.

I would also like to see a big area such as Newcastle or Glasgow give it a go as there is no reason why they shouldn't have big enough fan bases with populations that make Poole look very tiny. Perhaps more advertising if they were joining the top league?

Not a lot to go on though after watching Leicester's swift but sad fall from grace.

I would like to see someone step in at Leicester, do a deal with DH re renting the stadium and apply a professional job at promoting the sport on a mid week race night in the EL. The City and county has a large enough population to support an EL team as proven in the past - just needs promoting well to make it a success.

Edited by 1 valve
  • Like 1

Wanna have 18 clubs in the league, KOC, Premiership Trophy, Spring Gold Cup, 4 Team Tournament, Best Pairs, ELRC at Belle Vue again, just like it all was in the 70s and 80s. Let the GP riders do what they want and we'll carry on with what's left.

They'll be back when the greedy Polish clubs go bankrupt.

Good point - Poland is one big bubble which will eventually burst. They definitely need to bring back a cup competition. Edited by Perton Wolf

Good point - Poland is one big bubble which will eventually burst. They definitely need to bring back a cup competition.

Not sure the Polish bubble is ready to burst any time soon and most probably not a good idea to hang around waiting for it to happen. The efforts they are putting in to limit their contracted riders to only one other club is a signal of their current strength & intent to protect what they have which will increase should they get wide acceptance from the riders concerned.

British speedway needs to start thinking ahead on how the sport will first survive, then improve and finally profit from good sound long term planning. It is no weakness to admit who is stronger but not doing something about it is. Only a lunatic would think things will change by doing the same thing time and time again and I cant help but think that is where we are it with UK speedway bar a bit of tinkering around the edges. Planning an evolutionary journey of UK speedway would be better and more sustainable than a revolution which frankly the sport does not have the finances to enact and could deliver a rejuvenated sport capable of attracting the best talent and providing value for money entertainment.

Edited by 1 valve
  • Like 3

Sorry Steve but you're living in the past. Would agree with you wholeheartedly pre 2011 but not now.

Monmore is a shadow of what it was. Not the fault of the promotion or the track curator I may add

Sad reflection on the sport I'm afraid. Its the main reason why the sport is struggling in Britain.

What intrigues me, is where does all this money swilling around in Poland actually come from!! Each year we keep thinking when is it going to end, but its still pumped into Polish speedway at an alarming rate. When the balloon eventually bursts, the bang will be heard over here.

At that point, do we welcome the riders who turned their backs on the UK back with open arms, or tell them to sling their hook; no thank you!!

• Like 1

What intrigues me, is where does all this money swilling around in Poland actually come from!! Each year we keep thinking when is it going to end, but its still pumped into Polish speedway at an alarming rate. When the balloon eventually bursts, the bang will be heard over here.

At that point, do we welcome the riders who turned their backs on the UK back with open arms, or tell them to sling their hook; no thank you!!

Well they'll hardly be in a position to demand huge wages, it'll be 'take this' or join the dole queue.

• Like 1

Tracks need more regular fixtures but that's not the case with the Eoite League.

The Elite League needs to be much stronger but to do that you need the big names to return and the only way that will happen is if it's less fixtures and one race night.

This could still happen for any track that wishes to compete but they need more fixtures at the track and one big league would give those tracks that also want to run an Elite League enough fixtures to keep the terraces entertained with 19 lower level meetings and seven top level meetings. This offers a variety of visitors and the difference between the teams in the two leagues are just two riders from the lower level replaced by two top riders for the Eoite League.

More fixtures yes but more Elite fixtures running with doubling up riders would be suicidal and push the few tracks that are managing start to count their pennies

Well they'll hardly be in a position to demand huge wages, it'll be 'take this' or join the dole queue.

Totally agree with your comment Foamfence.

Simple economics have to be taken seriously in UK speedway. For too long, we have been paying far too much to some riders. I'm not saying they don't deserve good money, they most certainly do, for the risks they take to entertain us. However, the size of crowds around the country cannot sustain silly money. Too often we here about Swedish and Polish tracks running up big debts.

I've seen this year that some crowd levels in Poland aren't what we all think they are. The local derbys are stadium fillers but not all else. And as for the crowd levels in the Swedish First Division, not the Elite Series, have attendance's of 30 to 100 at most meetings! Thirty odd!? That is utterley unbelievable and these clubs are still running. And if now the Polish clubs restrict riders they will likely have to pay more to keep them, which inevitably will burst their system. It cannot be sustained.

I do believe the sport in Poland is as Britain was in the 80s. British speedway has been decimated by many things within our system. We are not a motorcycle loving nation any longer. We are a technology mad generation, and speedway does not fit within this bracket.

Nevertheless, I think now all our promoters can do is keep slapping a new coat of paint on the sport here as it were each season and keep patching the holes for it to continue, and it does. Next season could see a 2 day a week only meeting schedule. I believe this will decimate speedway even more. As one weather presenter once said, "Don't worry, there isn't a hurricane coming.....".....the speedway hurricane is here. What will be left of it is anybody's guess.

Phew...need a cup of tea now.