British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Workington Concerns For Future

Statement from WorkingtonSpeedway:

Workington Comets owner Laura Morgan has made a heartfelt plea to supporters to attend what she fears could be the club’s last ever meeting tomorrow night.

Very sad news as just a few years ago this was a well supported club :o(

Bit late in the day now to make a heartfelt plea.

Take a gamble, £10 entry for Adults, kids free, that's what type of Sport it is, give it a go, it will work, trouble is, it should have been tried when they knew they were up the creak without a paddle, bit late to try and promote it, the day before the Meeting

• Like 2

Best Wishes Workington speedway fans.

• Like 1

The writing has been on the wall for a few years now, the BSPA really need to wake up, and smell the Coffee its almost to late..

• Like 3

Fingers crossed something can be worked out to enable you to carry on.

Bit late in the day now to make a heartfelt plea.

Take a gamble, £10 entry for Adults, kids free, that's what type of Sport it is, give it a go, it will work, trouble is, it should have been tried when they knew they were up the creak without a paddle, bit late to try and promote it, the day before the Meeting

We did £10 entry for our home fixture against Newcastle a few weeks ago. It was well publicised and promoted both in social media and printed media. Although more fans did attend the revenue received was less than an average meeting. We have also given away hundreds of tickets to families at events through the year, doesn't seem to make a great deal of difference.

at the end of the day , speedway is only a ten pound sport and kids free . if riders still want to earn big money from the sport, then they MUST go into the elite league .

far too many riders are getting away with doing both leagues and holding promoters to ransom over pay/wage structures .

it will take something very special to keep speedway @ workington in 2017. my hopes and dreams hinge on 2/3 small letters .

if it closes will i travel to away meetings , no i dont think so. it has priced itself out of entertainment package for normal families to attend .

there will be a good crowd @ dp on saturday , but that will be swelled by Glasgow fans .

i feel for laura,jacko and all the rest of the management team . a bunch of true fans to the sport who could be lost forever .

lower income teams may benefit from the team building average coming down , but i fear its too late for speedway in general .

there are a good few teams struggling at the moment and some big names in there too . not just pl.

whatever the outcome , we all must respect the final decision from the management.

one final shot at the bspa. .. riders must not be allowed to do both leagues ever . enjoyed the P.L. play off,s on sky .. sorry , elite league .

and for those who would not pay 15 quid to see a slightly lower end product , what you gonna do now with you Saturday nights ?

• Like 2

Every year promoters pick from an ever decreasing pool of riders of an ability to compete at PL level.

If clubs had put more into junior development in the last 10 years instead of paying for foreign inports of dubious

quality then we might have had a sport paying within its means.

• Like 6

Foreign Riders should be limited to 2 per PL team in 2017 to help nurture NL upgraders...! :t:

looking to ban all Foreign Riders by 2019...

• Like 1

Interesting in Speedway Star to read Brian Havelock's comments, people slag him off (many Redcar fans) but he is openly admitting that his club, bottom of the league, are solvent AND made a profit this year. I applaud him for having a commonsense business like approach which has protected the future of Redcar. No doubt many of the moaning section of Redcar fans will still say that it isn't good enough, but would Plymouth and Workington fans exchange their position in league for redcar's and have a pleasant winter awaiting 2017 season??

I'm not suggesting all promoters use Havelock as a total role model for promoting speedway, but maybe his financial model should be considered!!

• Like 4

Foreign Riders should be limited to 2 per PL team in 2017 to help nurture NL upgraders...! :t:

looking to ban all Foreign Riders by 2019...

You can't keep weakening the product

• Like 2