British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Aroundtheboards

Somerset V Glasgow Cup Final 2nd Leg Friday 14th October

As it stands Somerset look to be shoe ins for the title, which is no disgrace to anyone else tbh. They are a hell of a side with strength in depth AND oustanding HL's.

Fair enough if you are throwing matches you should win, but this Somerset have looked head and shoulders to me any time I've seen them this season. Although I still think Newcastle look great on paper.......

• Like 3

The Rebels side this season have a steely look in their eyes. They are very determined to complete an amazing year by winning the play offs. Wins with their backs against the wall at Glasgow, Sheffield and Ipswich confirm what a ballsy and mentally strong outfit they are.

A delighted Somerset crowd watched last night as the Rebels quickly got the upper hand over their season long rivals. Worrall looked poor and even disinterested on occasions. Summers took a couple of rides to fire, but by then the cup was lost. Bach scored a couple of classy wins but struggled when he missed the starts.

The Rebels were simply on fire. Tungate and Allen continued their fine partnership, Gracjzonek looked as fast as he normally does and the engine room of Starke and Wright provided formidable support. Bates, riding in Tom Perry's Kevlars having apparently left his entire kit bag in Sheffield, once again was an excellent guest. How he managed to stay on his machine after a alarmingly picking up speed and thumping the back straight fence, similar to the Tungate incident last week, I will never know. Perry's Kevlars were certainly tested in that hair raising moment!

Shanes too looked useful. His exclusion in heat 8 was the right call as he reared spectacularly entering the first bend, wiping out the remaining riders and could never be considered as first bend bunching. Lunna in particular took a nasty high sider and was fortunate to walk away with his collar bone intact.

Debbie Hancock announced another season of sponsorship from the main team sponsor, Cases, for 2017, and Garry May contributed to the steely eyed, when he announced his determination to field another competitive outfit for next season, whatever the points limit.

Good to see both BWD and Zach in attendance and joining in the celebrations last night.

Had to smile at Jake Allen, who downed pretty much a bottle of champagne, and when asked how it tasted, he replied 'rubbishe'.

Great post as usual ER.

Well done Somerset , let's stop this nastiness between us on here , there's no history of this kind of thing between us .

Let's hope we can get our chance of revenge in the play off final and there's no talk of doctored tracks , riders putting other riders off , pit crews fighting etc , etc .

We have been the best two teams in the division all season , with Somerset a bit better than us most of the time . If we can get past Sheffield , which wont be easy , lets hope we can produce a final worthy of the prize .

Well said Paulco. I have come back on to comment purely in connection with your post. I was at the meeting last night and I had nothing but admiration for the travelling Glasgow "support team". They were well mannered, amiable, resolute and gracious in defeat and complimentary to the victors "support team", alas not like some of the keyboard warriors on here. I am a Speedway fanatic and I will endeavour to watch the sport wherever and whenever it is possible and have been since 1965. You are bound to have partisan fans and people that don't suffer opposition gladly, to them I say we are all of the same mind, we all support and enjoy the same sport have friendly banter and respect each others views and opinions, even if you don't agree. In the meantime enjoy what is left of the 2016 season and whatever it may bring - hopefully a Play Off Final win for Somerset Rebels, if not good luck to the victors be it Glasgow or Sheffield. Ride safe everybody, that includes the "support teams" and see you all somewhere next season. Remember ! Every Dog Has His Day !!! This is my last post on what was my thread anyway !!!

• Like 5

Well said Paulco. I have come back on to comment purely in connection with your post. I was at the meeting last night and I had nothing but admiration for the travelling Glasgow "support team". They were well mannered, amiable, resolute and gracious in defeat and complimentary to the victors "support team", alas not like some of the keyboard warriors on here. I am a Speedway fanatic and I will endeavour to watch the sport wherever and whenever it is possible and have been since 1965. You are bound to have partisan fans and people that don't suffer opposition gladly, to them I say we are all of the same mind, we all support and enjoy the same sport have friendly banter and respect each others views and opinions, even if you don't agree. In the meantime enjoy what is left of the 2016 season and whatever it may bring - hopefully a Play Off Final win for Somerset Rebels, if not good luck to the victors be it Glasgow or Sheffield. Ride safe everybody, that includes the "support teams" and see you all somewhere next season. Remember ! Every Dog Has His Day !!! This is my last post on what was my thread anyway !!!

Well said. Total agreement

Well done Somerset , let's stop this nastiness between us on here , there's no history of this kind of thing between us .

Let's hope we can get our chance of revenge in the play off final and there's no talk of doctored tracks , riders putting other riders off , pit crews fighting etc , etc .

We have been the best two teams in the division all season , with Somerset a bit better than us most of the time . If we can get past Sheffield , which wont be easy , lets hope we can produce a final worthy of the prize .

Brilliant post Paulco

Well done to the Rebels, hopefully followed by the league title :t:

Looking ahead to that, interesting to see the home leg (guessing this will be the 2nd) is scheduled for Thursday the 27th. Suppose this is in case it's rained off they then have Friday available. Makes it a bit awkward if Sheffield win the other semi-final, although I see they have their 2nd leg on Wednesday so assume that would be the case for the final also!