British Speedway Forum
1 valve

Leicester Lions 2017

Beaumont sports own the lease and the fixtures/fittings of the stadium. This company is financially solvent and up to date with payments for the stadium operations,

Leicester city council have no reason or purpose to revoke the lease as there is very little they can do with the land as it cannot be used for housing or industrial units so have no use for it so may as well leave as it is currently with Beaumont sports.

They would also not want the expense of a legal case and which of course could uncover other things on initial planning on the stadium without any guarantees other than the Speedway highlighting possible failure of council officials.

Mr Hemsley knows all of this and that in the small print of the agreement there is nothing to say that he would build the sports village just that he would assist the development which he has done by inviting companies to tender to build alternative sport attractions.

Well Flagrag that may indeed be correct and the council are taking a pragmatic approach as long as they are receiving their annual rent and business rates payments.

But it seems that for those payments to continue beyond this year, the small matter of a new speedway promotion is required in order for Mr Hemsley's company to continue making those payments, and not default and risk having the lease revoked. It's not as though the land or the stadium is currently able to generate the required income by any other means than speedway.

Of course I hope that a new, professional promotion will come in and take over, and make a success of it. And if that were to be announced tomorrow, even better.

But over the past 5 years I've heard and read a lot about how volatile and difficult a person Mr Hemsley is to deal with, and you cant help thinking that it's all true. You can't help thinking that as a landlord, he would be difficult to deal with, and so you can easily imagine that any negotiations such as any currently happening, are proving to be difficult - unless he's taking a pragmatic, flexible and realistic approach. It's easy to imagine potential new promoters ending up by telling him to stuff it and walk away.

If that happens, will DH be bothered about Beaumont Park any longer? The BSPA would prioritise keeping Belle Vue going and would let Leicester go hang.

Kye 1- Leicester city council know very well that they have made an error in not putting the stipulation and conditions that Beaumont sports were responsible to build all of the sports complex.

All that Beaumont sports are legally responsible for is the stadium and the even the council have not kept their part of the pavilion development. On the original plans the council were going to have lease on a room in the pavilion to use for the local community events like parent and toddler sessions and residents meetings yet now they will not commit to this.

I am sure that Mr Hemsley will see common sense and offer favourable conditions to new Speedway tenants as if it's empty he is not making any money and has invested a lot of his own money into the stadium and paying off the loans that he took out.

I am sure that Mr Hemsley will see common sense and offer favourable conditions to new Speedway tenants as if it's empty he is not making any money and has invested a lot of his own money into the stadium and paying off the loans that he took out.

It will all be down to negotiation and who holds the position of strength (perceived or otherwise) On the one hand it could be said DH without a speedway promoter will have a white elephant on his hands (the stadium) which will be costing him money to own so he needs to be able to rent it out.

However, a potential promoter needs a stadium, without it there is no promotion and as the promoter sees Leicester as a business opportunity then he needs a place to make the money from.

So the crux of the matter is both parties need each other...but who needs each other the most?

Good look with the negotiations chaps - us fans need you to sort it out so we can watch some speedway in Leicester during 2017 and beyond

• Like 1

Just imagine a worst case senario. The council doe's not want DH to carry on as the tennant of the land.

The council lawyers send the company a leeter marked urgent for you attention.

We have asked you on several occasions to remove the rubble and rubbish that you had unofficially placed on and around the land ajacent to the stadium, so far nothing has been done to remove any of the said waste. We prsume you recieved payment from whoever deposited the waste on our land, without consent from yourself.

We have now started having worries that this waste could actually contain toxic or hazordous wate amounst it, if it was any ordinarry type of waste, then why was it not sent to a site where they could have legally deposted it, so we ourselves have arranged for a team of experts to come up to the site to check oyt the waste in question, it will then be removed from the site by us and charged to you along with the costs of the survey, plus we also need to get a team of landscapping contractors to put the site to right again, as this is now a public park not a waste site, as it used to be. Our team have been getting quotes in for this work and it now looks like it will be ceryclose to the £1million mark to carry out all the work in hand, we will let you know shortly and also when this work will start.

Also as the land has been used for other purposes than those in the tender, we will be making a marked increase in the rent paid by your company for the use of our land.

It has also been noted that thier is a danger to the public on the footpath from cars and vans driving over a public footpath I would imagine that niether ours or your insurannce would cover for any accident on said footpath, so we are sending in a team of engineers to constuct a footbrige over the road for the public to use, this will be charge to you the lease holder as it will prove to be a very good means of making sure the publc are kept safe.

We are also planning to hold brass band concert next summer in the park and the lanscaping will help to make the area look more appealing, we will therefore be tarmacing the area behind, what is now the area you use for disabled parking, this can be used by the speedway fans that come on a race night, the cost of some of the work will be placed in the rent of the land, but we stipulate that the carpark is used free of charge. Whilst all this work is being carried out, no one will be allowed to enter the site, it will be fenced off and will have a 24 hour security in force.

Just shows what can be done if some people take a very strong dislike to someone, They can make your life shear hell. Any quesses how he would get out of this little story.

That is all it is but belive me it could happen to the best of us.

Thier is no thruth or even a rumour that anything like this has happened or is even going to happen.

As I said this is a total piece of fiction, just a little bit of silly nonsense, but just something that could just happen in our stupid society today.

Edited by weatherwatcher

Just imagine a worst case senario. The council doe's not want DH to carry on as the tennant of the land.

We have asked you on several occasions to remove the rubble and rubbish that you had unofficially placed on and around the land ajacent to the stadium, so far nothing has been done to remove any of the said waste. We prsume you recieved payment from whoever deposited the waste on our land, without consent from yourself.

We have now started having worries that this waste could actually contain toxic or hazordous wate amounst it, if it was any ordinarry type of waste, then why was it not sent to a site where they could have legally deposted it, so we ourselves have arranged for a team of experts to come up to the site to check oyt the waste in question, it will then be removed from the site by us and charged to you along with the costs of the survey, plus we also need to get a team of landscapping contractors to put the site to right again, as this is now a public park not a waste site, as it used to be. Our team have been getting quotes in for this work and it now looks like it will be ceryclose to the £1million mark to carry out all the work in hand, we will let you know shortly and also when this work will start.

Also as the land has been used for other purposes than those in the tender, we will be making a marked increase in the rent paid by your company for the use of our land.

Just shows what can be done if some people take a very strong dislike to someone, They can make your life shear hell. Any quesses how he would get out of this little story.

That is all it is but belive me it could happen to the best of us.

Thier is no thruth or even a rumour that anything like this has happened or is even going to happen.

Well they would get out of the majority of the the fiction you just posted by supplying the records of what was tipped there. Each lorry was logged in at the gatehouse with a record of what it was delivering.

This is or was not a gate house to check, what was being offloaded.

It wasn't a case of fly tipping but the tipping of acceptable rubble etc from excavation work approved by LCC.

• Like 1

This is or was not a gate house to check, what was being offloaded.

Different grades of soil waste from other building sites was being offloaded. Each load was logged at the gatehouse as different grades of soil waste were priced differently.

• Like 1

So reading the star today it comments that fans need to be patient as ongoing meetings taking place. Announcements will only be made once a deal is fully completed. Being positive and we indeed get a new promotor what would be your preferred team selections for the lions 2017 season......

I know it would never happen but I would love to see one of the Laguta brothers as our NO1 preferably Artur, or better still to have Emil as No1 plus one of the Lagutas. Trouble is how much would you have to pay to get them to ride for you, far to much for most British Teams. I do hope that they manage to keep the services of the young Pole he has come on really well, since he came to ride for the Lions. Not knowing who has already made plans for other clubs, it is really a matter of who is left to take the pick of.

From what I can see with the other teams, some are going for quite a few big names from Nritish speedway, while others are nothing more than a team of riders from the PL. All in all I think this is going to be one very strange year, hope it gives some good meetings, but from what I can see so far there will be 2 or 3 clubs that will dominate the league.

Just hope that they have got the money coming in to pay all the riders wages, this is a big factor and one that needs addressing, this year has seen quite a few clubs having difficult times, but to not pay riders for weeks on end is not something that should be taken lightly.

It will soon get to a time where riders will say enough is enough and they will call it a day riding here, then all that will be left is the amatuers, the ride for the love of the sport, the only problem with this is how many fans would turn up to watch them.

As for chosing a team until a list of riders that are free agents and are looking for a pplace to ride than it is a hard call. Just hope the Lions don't end up with a team of dross, it is time for things to change and bring some winning ways.

Just a point of ote, if DH is still the owner of the stadium next year, he could virtually stop any new romoter from doing any track alterations, or do any work at the stadium, I for one would love to see those terrible containers by the pit area replaced by a proper building, it does tend to spoil the look of things. I would make a nice viwing area and changing rooms and showers for the riders, but I think things will have to waita ns dee what pans out over the next few months. Any choices for a new promoter, I really think we could do no worse with someone like Sam Emerlenko at the riiegns.

I hope Ermolenko does take over the reigns at Leicester, it may keep him from commentating :)

It is difficult to build a team with no asset base & on the lower end of the pay scale. I hope Leicester can out a competitive team together.

• Like 1

Kye 1- Leicester city council know very well that they have made an error in not putting the stipulation and conditions that Beaumont sports were responsible to build all of the sports complex.

All that Beaumont sports are legally responsible for is the stadium and the even the council have not kept their part of the pavilion development. On the original plans the council were going to have lease on a room in the pavilion to use for the local community events like parent and toddler sessions and residents meetings yet now they will not commit to this.

If one of Lenny Lion's recent posts is anything to go by (long list of conditions, top league only, weekend racing only) your confidence in DH seems questionable. As for putting in his own money, theres no doubt that he's put in a lot of his time, but other information suggests that he's raised money in various ways rather than from his own pocket.

• Like 1

Flagrag. Your faith in DH displaying some common sense is laudable but goes against a vast amount of decisions or actions he has made from the very start if the project.

From the marking out of the track to the disciplinary and subsequent "toys out of the pram" i would suggest he has shown very little common sense or business sense. I therefore do not share your confidence.

• Like 4

I was of the understanding that Beaumont Sports Complex lease the land & own the stadium which DH is the sole director of & that this company was of a sound financial state & that it is Leicester Speedway who are mere tennants of the stadium are the company with difficulty's .

if this is the case then how can the council re-take control of the land if they have no defaulted on payments.

Beaumont sports own the lease and the fixtures/fittings of the stadium. This company is financially solvent and up to date with payments for the stadium operations,

The accounts for Beaumont Sports Complex Ltd for the period ending March 2015 do not show any Fixed Assets (which is where the stadium, track, fixtures and fittings would appear). In fact these accounts show it to be, on the face of it, not very active, and with a net worth of minus £500. Mr Hemsley is the sole director and shareholder and has contributed £3 of share capital ( 3 shares of £1 each).

The accounts of Leicester Speedway Ltd however show a different picture with regard to assets. The last set of accounts are for the year ended 31st October 2014 (the 2015 accounts are overdue, they should have been filed by 31st July 2016). The accounts show Fixed Assets of £858,050 which comprises the stadium, track, fixtures and fittings.

The 2011 accounts show that the initial cost of these facilities was £785,113, although receipts totalling £418,346 were received towards ground preparation work, leaving a net balance of £366,767. The director(s) then revalued the assets at £750,000 by creating a Revaluation Reserve of £383,233.

So, in the last 3 years another £108,050 of assets have been added to the complex.

The company has 2 types of shares, Ordinary and B.

Mr Hemsley is the holder of the 1 Ordinary Share (and has control over the company).

There are 6,300 B Shares held by a dozen shareholders, of various denominations

The company has one director, Y Hemsley, appointed on 29th April 2016.

Mr Hemsley (ex director) and Mr Hurst (ex Co secretary), both resigned on 13th September 2016.

HSBC Bank have a legal charge over the undertaking, including all property and assets (a debenture created in 2012) over any monies owed to them.

Edited by woofers

Flagrag. Your faith in DH displaying some common sense is laudable but goes against a vast amount of decisions or actions he has made from the very start if the project.

From the marking out of the track to the disciplinary and subsequent "toys out of the pram" i would suggest he has shown very little common sense or business sense. I therefore do not share your confidence.

And of course his reputation for pi**ing off people who have helped him and whose goodwill he needs.Even if someone agrees to his terms (or if he manages to compromise) you can see it being only a matter of time until a big falling out occurs. In the long term it may be better for the Council to go through the trouble of getting shot.