British Speedway Forum

There was a 'magical time' when there was plenty of riders for teams, plus others just trying to get second-half rides.

Where did it all start to go wrong? :sad:

. Here

There was a 'magical time' when there was plenty of riders for teams, plus others just trying to get second-half rides. Where did it all start to go wrong?

It's not an easy one to answer.

I believe social change has led to kids doing less and less outside. Plus the expense of it all.

Lack of exposure on main stream TV means that fewer people know about speedway and go to watch it, let alone want to take it up.

Interesting that the demise of West Indies cricket had much to do with Caribbean lads taking up basketball instead of wanting to be fast bowlers due to TV exposure and the dream of earning mega bucks in the NBA.

Similar with the rise of footballers salaries over here, with kids dreaming of being millionaires taking them towards football and away from motor sports. All you need is a pair of boots. I recently heard of a rider selling a second hand engine for £2,500. Not many can afford that kind of expenditure.

Edited by Shads
  • Like 1

Jeez nearly 3 weeks between home meetings.

Really??!!!

I was looking forward to the Coventry meeting, never mind at least its not cancelled just re-scheduled. I shall be supporting Rye at Poole on the 12th though so just hope the weather is good and the meeting doesn't get cancelled (can't wait to see Rye win :party:)

I shall be supporting Rye at Poole on the 12th though so just hope the weather is good and the meeting doesn't get cancelled (can't wait to see Rye win :party:)

You won't see Rye win at Poole if you turn up next Friday

You won't see Rye win at Poole if you turn up next Friday

Oops meant to say 10th - still hope to see them win though

It's not an easy one to answer.

I believe social change has led to kids doing less and less outside. Plus the expense of it all.

Lack of exposure on main stream TV means that fewer people know about speedway and go to watch it, let alone want to take it up.

Interesting that the demise of West Indies cricket had much to do with Caribbean lads taking up basketball instead of wanting to be fast bowlers due to TV exposure and the dream of earning mega bucks in the NBA.

Similar with the rise of footballers salaries over here, with kids dreaming of being millionaires taking them towards football and away from motor sports. All you need is a pair of boots. I recently heard of a rider selling a second hand engine for £2,500. Not many can afford that kind of expenditure.

You see very few kids playing cricket or even football in the street now. Used to watch test cricket on the Beeb then you wanted to go out and play the game. Sky and computer games probably changed that. Dont see kids doing cycle speedway now either.

• Like 1

You see very few kids playing cricket or even football in the street now. Used to watch test cricket on the Beeb then you wanted to go out and play the game. Sky and computer games probably changed that. Dont see kids doing cycle speedway now either.

Kids these days have short attention spans. They ain't gonna sit there 6 hours a day for 5 days. That's why 20/20 cricket was dreamed up. Perfect for TV, non stop action and over in 3 hours.

When I was a kid you couldn't get a public tennis court during Wimbledon and for a week after. Nowadays you don't have that problem, if you can find any.

• Like 1