British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
alfiemorris

Plymouth 2017 N/l?

No worse than Coventry Storm ripping off a schools logo :)IMG_20161219_114146.jpgimage upload no limit

Wasn't exactly the point I was getting at, but at least with the storm logo it looks visually appealing, and there's not gonna be many who would make the correlation between the two unless you go snooping. Sheffield did the same taking 'inspiration' from the West Tigers in the Australian rugby league for their logo redesign.

i kind of like it... it brings a new era and a new face to the team...

the older generation will still want the original logo from back in the day i guess as its what they see as the standard logo.. it needed bringing into the 21st century i reckon..

This isn't just a question of liking it, though. Its a question as to whether it can be used as a major marketing tool.

All of your merchandise will have it on, all your posters will have it on, the lot.

My wife liked it. When I suggested that I buy a couple of T shirts for our nephews aged 7 & 9, her view was very different.

I don't know how you can call this a 21st century logo? It's literally a stock photo https://www.dreamstime.com/stock-images-devil-head-image6438094 bunged on a race jacket. Nothing about this is good, it's not eye pleasing, it gives no hint to what it's actually about. Simply put, it's lazy, it's more than likely cheap and gives off a bad impression to Plymouth and speedway itself. The sad thing is you can look at the majority of mdl logo and they're absolutely miles ahead of that of Plymouth and you can add to that the Isle Of Wight!
Its rubbish like this that's put out that only makes the sport looks amateurish. It's something a whole lot of clubs need to stop skimping on and actually spend on their marketing and branding to make it a success. Again, just look at both the clubs websites, they're a mess! How can you seriously expect to attract any new fans or even sponsors when you're regularly greeted to poorly designed site that probably took an hour to throw together.

The thing is Isle of Wight's is tame (I am lot more sold on it than I once was). I don't like Eastbourne's or Mildenhall's much but they are also pretty tame.

You couldn't, for example, suggest that they came from an X certificate horror film.

Its not easy when the team are the Devils but the old logo was pretty inoffensive.

My issue here is that that - plastered all over Plymouth- might attract some seriously adverse publicity.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

its a picture of a devils face which by the time it hits any promo will have sponsors names on it as well..

its not like its a picture dipicting the holocaust is it.. what else would you want a picture of the Plymouth Devils to contain. the old logo wasnt any good either and i didnt see any of this while that one was in use..

this one is a bit clearer its a devils face which as said once it has a sponsor name added will calm it down i guess if you are that way inclined.

i really do not see the point in all this moaning about what is just a picture.

• Like 1

My god I find my self agreeing with no name it must be Christmas lol,like it or don't like it,the promotion have got everyone talking about it so it's having a desired effect,personally I really like it I showed my eleven year old as well he thought it was cool,I showed my seven year old also he said it's alright he certainly was not scared we are the Devils what did you all want the old design went with the old promotion surely there is a lot more problems in speedway to talk about than weather our logo offends people or not.

What adverse publicity would it have I don't get that either,I have never heard of us having a devil worshipping problem in Plymouth.

• Like 2

This isn't just a question of liking it, though. Its a question as to whether it can be used as a major marketing tool.

All of your merchandise will have it on, all your posters will have it on, the lot.

My wife liked it. When I suggested that I buy a couple of T shirts for our nephews aged 7 & 9, her view was very different.

The thing is Isle of Wight's is tame (I am lot more sold on it than I once was). I don't like Eastbourne's or Mildenhall's much but they are also pretty tame.

You couldn't, for example, suggest that they came from an X certificate horror film.

Its not easy when the team are the Devils but the old logo was pretty inoffensive.

My issue here is that that - plastered all over Plymouth- might attract some seriously adverse publicity.

Well I agree with you- merchandising wise I don't think they'll be selling much with that devil on it! But they're both bad in their own ways for me. The Plymouth logo is poor quality whereas the iow one is just confusing. Show that to anyone outside of speedway and they'd never guess they were the Warrior.

My god I find my self agreeing with no name it must be Christmas lol,like it or don't like it,the promotion have got everyone talking about it so it's having a desired effect,personally I really like it I showed my eleven year old as well he thought it was cool,I showed my seven year old also he said it's alright he certainly was not scared we are the Devils what did you all want the old design went with the old promotion surely there is a lot more problems in speedway to talk about than weather our logo offends people or not.What adverse publicity would it have I don't get that either,I have never heard of us having a devil worshipping problem in Plymouth.

But the point is it's supposed to be a sports logo for a professional speedway team. could you actually imagine a serious sporting team like Manchester United using some crap 3d rendered photo as their actual logo? They'd get laughed out of the league. It's stuff like this that really drags the sport down, it's alright to us that know and love the product, but your logo can be the first impression, and for the majority I don't think it's going to leaves good one.

The biggest sports club in the world has a logo with a devil on it. Can't see them selling as much merchandise if they changed it to a photo of a blood-pressured Graham Drury dressed as a sheep's head.

Devil Logo

• Like 1

The biggest sports club in the world has a logo with a devil on it. Can't see them selling as much merchandise if they changed it to a photo of a blood-pressured Graham Drury dressed as a sheep's head.

Devil Logo

Probably right.

IMG_20161219_172911.jpg

Edited by martin_t
  • Like 4

Graham Hambly, announcer at Plymouth, Exeter, Trelawny, Bristol, Newport (Somerton Park) and Swindon over the years is being released from his stay in the hospital system today

Good luck to him as his recovery continues.

Edited by barncooseboy
  • Like 4

Wow. I think that might scare the children!

plymouth_2017.jpg

If you get fed up with the bloke with his sex face on then this would be good:-

13683869691820558534emoticon-devil-256-h

A bit like a before and after scenario. . .i like it !! Lol

Come on then Mark & Laurence if your fans dislike the proposed Devil so much, run a competition for a new Devil/ Devils logo run it in conjunction with the local paper the Herald & present the winners with a signed race jacket on opening night!

• Like 1

Come on then Mark & Laurence if your fans dislike the proposed Devil so much, run a competition for a new Devil/ Devils logo run it in conjunction with the local paper the Herald & present the winners with a signed race jacket on opening night!

There is already plans in place to get the local schools and colleges and newspapers involved in design for the 2018 season, however the time allocation for this season was very short as I am sure you will appreciate and although some like it, some hate it , everyone is talking about it ...........please realise that it is not all about pleasing our current fanbase, it is also about bringing new spectators in, love it or hate it, people are talking about it ! We possibly have 5 % of this forum thinking about the race bib, If I can get 5% of Plymouth and the surrounding area it would have made its purpose and I would be a very happy person. There is 260,000 people in Plymouth alone, 5% = 13000, if 5% of those decide to have a look , that equates to an extra 650 people through the turnstiles. I hope the 2018 design will have the same effect as this one.

They don't. I am very much in the minority, and I am not a Plymouth supporter.