British Speedway Forum
Pieman72

Does British Speedway Have Future?

That's the problem. The 5yo pays no admission and the 95yo gets in on a concession. The promoters aren't getting the income that they need to take things further. I'm told that at some venues over 70% of the revenue is "concessionary". People talk about speedway being only worth £10 in admission value, well at some places thats more than the average take per head.

We need to move away from being family friendly and move to an audience that you can concentrate your efforts on. Focus on "Club 18-35" if you like. At least they will be full fare payers, with disposable income to spend on other things. Make the whole experience youth-friendly and you may succeed in getting a new audience. If that sounds harsh on the oldies, well I'm sorry, but sometimes you have to crack some eggs to make an omlette. Right now the sport has as much life left in it as have the pensioners watching it. For there to be a long term future, the youth of today need to be attracted in.

You are totally missing my point, while the 5 yr and 95 yr old may be a slightly stretching it, my point is there is something for everyone. I should have added male and female alike. The original example (5 and 95) is not so wrong because who is going to take them and usually be paying full price.

Speedway cant afford to ignore any age group or gender, focus on Club 18-35 if you will but that will not stop other age groups getting something out of the sport.

• Like 1

Unfortunately Coventry Speedway is no more fixtures, fittings and shale have all been removed. housing will be built on the site and speedway will be no more.

Fundamentally profitability entertainment and survival is the crucial situation. To fight off housing propectors, the sites must turn in a profit. I'd rather have a full stadium with £10 per head than £18 and an empty one. It would be more profitable, draw an analogy between the discount supermarkets and the big four it can't be clearer. Same products but without the frills.

Unfortunately Coventry Speedway is no more fixtures, fittings and shale have all been removed. housing will be built on the site and speedway will be no more.

Fundamentally profitability entertainment and survival is the crucial situation. To fight off housing propectors, the sites must turn in a profit. I'd rather have a full stadium with £10 per head than £18 and an empty one. It would be more profitable, draw an analogy between the discount supermarkets and the big four it can't be clearer. Same products but without the frills.

Could you guarantee a full one though?

Unfortunatly I/we can't guarantee anything. Many thanks for all the contributions we are all passionate about this sport. Has anyone any idea's about engines. bikes, formats and racing schedules? I would like to float the idea of shale racing using a different format with different engines and capacities giving the percentage of profit (if any) to the riders. Any idea's? Do we have to use 1920's style engines with methanol and odd lubrication systems that require a high level of maintenance particularly running high compression?

Unfortunatly I/we can't guarantee anything. Many thanks for all the contributions we are all passionate about this sport. Has anyone any idea's about engines. bikes, formats and racing schedules? I would like to float the idea of shale racing using a different format with different engines and capacities giving the percentage of profit (if any) to the riders. Any idea's? Do we have to use 1920's style engines with methanol and odd lubrication systems that require a high level of maintenance particularly running high compression?

No, but then you'd be doing Flattrack or F2. If everyone used grass bikes we could even hold some meetings in fields or on beaches. People may scoff but it could come to that.

Do like your realism I think there is a half way point between Grasstrack and Speedway and most Grassboys do like the opportunity to race on shale but the costs are inhibitive. It certainly would be taking Speedway back to it's roots. Flat Track has never found a market in this country and fans are more used to the thrills and spills of Speedway.

You've got to love Darcy Wards views on the future of Speedway in this country.

I get the impression some riders think it's a bottomless pit of money.

It's not about having squads of riders and fitting riders in.

It's about making the sport sustainable for the future.

Plus what supporter wants to see a top GP rider represent them a few times a year, knowing they are being paid a fortune for doing so?

Some of these riders are living in a world of make believe.

The illusion of grandeur of the GP's, and SKY Tv... makes some riders think speedway is being run like F1...when it's more like Fred's Garden shed.

All this money going into Engines, Vans that wouldn't look out of place in Star wars, Tuners...all the flashy mod cons etc,etc...yet you have the likes of Somerset's manager working for free, as they can't afford to pay him a wage. It just doesn't add up.

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/14950679.Speedway__Fans__39__favourite_Ward_fears_for_future_of_British_speedway/

• Like 7

It's not about having squads of riders and fitting riders in.

It's about making the sport sustainable for the future.

Plus what supporter wants to see a top GP rider represent them a few times a year, knowing they are being paid a fortune for doing so?

Some of these riders are living in a world of make believe.

The illusion of grandeur of the GP's, and SKY Tv... makes some riders think speedway is being run like F1...when it's more like Fred's Garden shed.

All this money going into Engines, Vans that wouldn't look out of place in Star wars, Tuners...all the flashy mod cons etc,etc...yet you have the likes of Somerset's manager working for free, as they can't afford to pay him a wage. It just doesn't add up.

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/14950679.Speedway__Fans__39__favourite_Ward_fears_for_future_of_British_speedway/

Yes and he doesn't like anyone questioning or disagreeing (I have found).

• Like 1

Yes and he doesn't like anyone questioning or disagreeing (I have found).

I wouldn't know about that...but DW's comments are pretty much a feeling given out by many of the top riders, with others trying to emulate them.

It really doesn't add up.

You have GP riders moving to the likes of Monaco and living next door to F1 drivers...yet clubs are on the brink of existence. The money some GP riders earn, would keep a Club of the likes of Plymouth running for a season.

How can a few riders earning these vast amounts of money, out way Clubs and all those supporters.

So many stories of riders not being paid, not just here, but in Poland as well. It gets worse every season.

I'm glad the Promotors have gone down this route...hopefully they will see the light, and do something about the costs of running a speedway bike.

• Like 1

The riders can see that the terraces and stands are nowhere near full but still want top dollar!

The promoters have finally woken up and will only pay what they can afford to pay riders even though the two leagues are now weaker

If and it's a big if that they can slowly increase the points limit for the next few years clubs might be of a better financial standing.

The power is finally back with the promoters, rather than the riders knowing that they have a choice of clubs and play one against the other, times are a changing!

• Like 1

You should never allow competitors to run their sports - most haven't got a clue about the financial and administrative side.

However, paying riders more than the sport can afford is the fault of promoters. Professional riders have little or no guarantees and could be injured or dropped tomorrow without sentiment, so of course they're going to take whatever they can get. Most people who work for money would too.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 2

Last season the team manager of a Premier League club confided that he is paid nothing to do his job - only travel expenses to away meetings. Even then he often had to share his vehicle.

I'm sure this is the case at numerous other tracks.

Track staff also work for nothing.

And yet riders are still paid way beyond the revenue taken at the turnstiles.

No wonder the sport is heading for oblivion.

For now, and in terms of pure short-term survival, promoters should largely forget about trying to entice a new, younger audience and focus all their efforts on trying to win back those who have deserted speedway (for whatever reasons), because they know and understand the sport, and keeping the customers they are still clinging on to.

Youngsters will NEVER be interested in speedway in any significant numbers, so efforts to lure them in are futile.They simply don't have the attention span or interest to suffer the interminably long delays between races, the many boring 'races' where there is no overtaking, and the hours it sometimes takes to run a complete 15-heat meeting.

And that's without even considering poor stadium facilities at many venues.

Edited by tmc
  • Like 3

Youngsters will NEVER be interested in speedway in any significant numbers, so efforts to lure them in are futile.They simply don't have the attention span or interest to suffer the interminably long delays between races, the many boring 'races' where there is no overtaking, and the hours it sometimes takes to run a complete 15-heat meeting.

And that's without even considering poor stadium facilities at many venues.

What an incredibly sweeping verging on offensive statement to make. :lol:

You do realise “youngsters” differ in mind set, mentality, outlook and attention span yes, there isn’t just a temple cookie cutter template for “young” people

I would suggest speedway shouldn’t handcuff its self to a certain age demographic and for the most part seems to understand that it doesn’t rely on attendances that are significant, albeit it being able to attract significant attendances would be preferable.

I would also hazard a guess that a decent % of young people might not crap on the product and refer to in the way fans do. On top of that I feel the idea young people wouldn’t attend stadia due to the state of them a slight fallacy given the utter dumps presented in other sports, although other sports position them as retro, which actually appeals to certain % young folks now a days who think of themselves as hipsters etc for showing in an interest in such things.

The days of the stereotype of stroppy, uninterested gothic teenager died out about 15 years ago which shows why folks should attempt to asses, judge and speak on behalf of young people, given most who attempt to do so, and in particular on here, are not that young. :lol:

Edited by Minor Interest
  • Like 3

What an excellent post. This shouldn't be the case in a professional sport. Who pays your mortgage/rent, food, car....wife etc. Get rid of the prima donna's and bring on local talent intermingled with the odd foreign rider. A certain Danish gentleman started this and it was continued by his protege and as a result we have the Scandinavian World Championship and British Speedway in a very sorry state.

Who's got new idea's on how to make the meetings more interesting. Unfortunately if we don't attract a younger audience the sport will decline further.

• Like 2

What an incredibly sweeping verging on offensive statement to make. :lol:

You do realise “youngsters” differ in mind set, mentality, outlook and attention span yes, there isn’t just a temple cookie cutter template for “young” people

Perhaps they can take there laptops or i pads with them..