British Speedway Forum
Nobblytriers

Uncertainty Over Teams And Sky Tv

Rather ironic considering it was the then Promotion at Coventry that caused the closure of Blackbird Road back in 1983!

Interesting article in the latest 'Backtrack' magazine in which Martin Rogers gives an insight regarding Coventry and Leicester back then and now.

Any little snippets please as I don't have this magazine? I must admit I was always sceptical about Martin not knowing anything because the last meeting was quite weird as it just fizzled out without any of the usual 'Goodbye's ~ see you next season' or fun and games that used to go on back then. However, he insists that he didn't know and the decision came out of the blue so I have to believe him.

Any little snippets please as I don't have this magazine? I must admit I was always sceptical about Martin not knowing anything because the last meeting was quite weird as it just fizzled out without any of the usual 'Goodbye's ~ see you next season' or fun and games that used to go on back then. However, he insists that he didn't know and the decision came out of the blue so I have to believe him.

Basically it was in the form of a question and answer forum...very interesting.

In a nut shell Martin comments that he and Charles Ochiltree weren't really on speaking terms after November 1983 when the plug was pulled on Blackbird Road when in the article the question was put whether a track share may have been an option back then with Leicester operating at Brandon. It was never discussed as Martin was investigating other options at the time.

I was never a great fan of Martin as I was at the meeting at King's Lynn (when he took over) when he refused 'The Cheetahs' a victory parade after they had pulled off a momentous win...something he comments upon in another feature in the magazine!

Edited by steve roberts