British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Pat Biddle Usa 1930s

Does any member have knowledge of an American rider Pat Biddle who pre-WW2 is said to have rode on tracks in the Midlands including the events that took place at Tamworth? I can find no record of this rider.

Edited by Guest

Does any member have knowledge of an American rider Pat Biddle who pre-WW2 is said to have rode on tracks in the Midlands including the events that took place at Tamworth? I can find no record of this rider.

There is mention of Pat Biddle testing at the BSA track.

http://www.national-speedway-museum.co.uk/birmingham-short-term-tracks.html

Further reference is made on the Birmingham History Forum, where he is described as having been a fitter and tester at BSA.

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/speedway.14296/

There is mention of Pat Biddle testing at the BSA track.

http://www.national-speedway-museum.co.uk/birmingham-short-term-tracks.html

Further reference is made on the Birmingham History Forum, where he is described as having been a fitter and tester at BSA.

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/speedway.14296/

That's a most interesting response re Pat Biddle. Your research into the rider is much appreciated. I enjoyed very much reading both the Links you forwarded. Excellent! :approve:

Edited by Guest

That's almost interesting response re Pat Biddle. Your research into the rider is much appreciated. I enjoyed very much reading both the Links you forwarded. Excellent! :approve:

In my topic about pre-war racing at Tamworth, Pat Biddle is mentioned in newspapers as being a regular rider at the track in 1932/3. Formerly with Halls Green and Birmingham he was born in Alabama, USA in 1910. In one article it mentions him "putting on a wonderful show when riding with Jack Parker in 1928 & 1929".

In my topic about pre-war racing at Tamworth, Pat Biddle is mentioned in newspapers as being a regular rider at the track in 1932/3. Formerly with Halls Green and Birmingham he was born in Alabama, USA in 1910. In one article it mentions him "putting on a wonderful show when riding with Jack Parker in 1928 & 1929".

I have visited the Speedway Researcher and so far as is possible have studied results for Birmingham tracks in 1928 and 1929 but can find no mention there of Pat Biddle, nor riding in Birmingham teams in the old immediate pre-WW2 National League Division Two.

It would appear that his speedway activity was probably confined to the early 1930s meetings at Tamworth? This is a really intriguing topic.

Edited by Guest

I have visited the Speedway Researcher and so far as is possible have studied results for Birmingham tracks in 1928 and 1929 but can find no mention there of pat Biddle, nor riding in Birmingham teams in the old immediate pre-WW2 National League Division Two.

It would appear that his speedway activity was probably confined to the early 1930s meetings at Tamworth? This is a really intriguing topic.

Here is a newspaper extract in which he is mentioned.

TAMWORTH HERALD – Meeting 7th August 1932

“Broadside Bow’s team included Pat Biddle, Bob Harvey, and other well known Nottingham boys. Pat is very popular with the late Halls Green and Perry Bar supporters. Now he is at Tamworth Speedway and hopes to be in good form to ride for the Tamworth team on 14th August against Nottingham”.

The phrasing of the article suggests that he may possibly have had some connection with Nottingham.

Have seen in the 1958 American Motorcycle mag that there is a listing in Hancocks Bridge,New Jersey for a Biddle's BSA and Ariel sales and services.Could this be the same guy who went back and set up a shop?Not unlike former riders of the time

Here is a newspaper extract in which he is mentioned.

TAMWORTH HERALD – Meeting 7th August 1932

“Broadside Bow’s team included Pat Biddle, Bob Harvey, and other well known Nottingham boys. Pat is very popular with the late Halls Green and Perry Bar supporters. Now he is at Tamworth Speedway and hopes to be in good form to ride for the Tamworth team on 14th August against Nottingham”.

The phrasing of the article suggests that he may possibly have had some connection with Nottingham.

I have checked Nottingham on the Speedway Researcher but they only carry details of the 1928 season, although there are other seasons in which the track operated. No mention in the 1928 results for Pat Biddle there. Of course, he may have appeared at the track in the 'missing' seasons.

I have just visited the authortive 'A-Z Speedway' which carries biographical details of many riders. To my surprise I found Pat Biddle is listed there - unfortunately no biographical details are available at the present time. So - the mystery deepens.

http://www.speedwayatoz.co.uk/page4.html

Edited by Guest

It would make sense if he was a BSA employee to be riding at the track by the factory..Possibly where he started out.But what is the connection with Jack Parker?Wasn't he at Coventry at this time(1929)?

Again having checked the Researcher it seems some data isn't available,so he could have ridden.Maybe it is though just false info

Edited by iris123

It would make sense if he was a BSA employee to be riding at the track by the factory..Possibly where he started out.But what is the connection with Jack Parker?Wasn't he at Coventry at this time(1929)?

Again having checked the Researcher it seems some data isn't available,so he could have ridden.Maybe it is though just false info

In BL65's link to Pat Biddle testing at the BSA track it says that Jack Parker also tested there. I think this may well be what the paper is referring to, nothing to do with racing on a proper speedway track. A bit of journalistic licence to promote Tamworth I think.

• Like 1

In BL65's link to Pat Biddle testing at the BSA track it says that Jack Parker also tested there. I think this may well be what the paper is referring to, nothing to do with racing on a proper speedway track. A bit of journalistic licence to promote Tamworth I think.

There is a strong possibility of a Jack Parker-Pat Biddle-BSA link at this time circa 1928-29. The understanding from previous Posts is that both Parker and Biddle had links with BSA. The understanding must also be that Parker was a works contract rider for BSA which would have ensured his contact with Biddle who was also associated with BSA.

​Here's 'more fuel' to help keep alive this intriguing thread.

http://www.national-speedway-museum.co.uk/bsa-dt-artical.html

Edited by Guest

A bit of journalistic licence to promote Tamworth I think.

I guess so.Doesn't seem that Biddle was in the class of Jack Parker.Unless the "show" was Biddle was a great starter and Jack toyed with him before making a pass :P

Have seen in the 1958 American Motorcycle mag that there is a listing in Hancocks Bridge,New Jersey for a Biddle's BSA and Ariel sales and services.Could this be the same guy who went back and set up a shop?Not unlike former riders of the time

Could very well be. It seems he stopped racing here in 1932, and I would be surprised if he didn't return to the US when the threat of war in Europe became apparent.

• Like 1

There is a strong possibility of a Jack Parker-Pat Biddle-BSA link at this time circa 1928-29. The understanding from previous Posts is that both Parker and Biddle had links with BSA. The understanding must also be that Parker was a works contract rider for BSA which would have ensured his contact with Biddle who was also associated with BSA.

​Here's 'more fuel' to help keep alive this intriguing thread.

http://www.national-speedway-museum.co.uk/bsa-dt-artical.html

I've found Pat Biddle appearing regularly at Coventry Lythalls Lane track in 1930. He is listed as a Perry Barr rider, and he appears to have had a fair bit of success result wise. Full details on Speedway Researcher.