British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Robbie B

1936 Swc Teams (fun Topic)

This is just for fun and please do list other years if you want to,

Image that there was a speedway world cup in 1936 what teams do you think would be in the final. Personally I have a quick check on the riders available and managed only four really competitive teams and they're listed below.

I haven't included Wilbur Lamoreaux in the USA team even though if I was their manager I would flown him into the country for the final at Wembley. Australian Ron Johnson was added the challengers team to help strengthen them.

Who would you pick for 1936 and others years?

1936 World Cup Final

England

1 Eric Langton

2 Frank Charles

3 Jack Parker

4 Bill Kitchen

5 George Newton

Australia

1 Lionel Van Praag

2 Bluey Wilkinson

3 Vic Huxley

4 Max Grosskreutz

5 Dick Case

USA

1 Jack Milne

2 Cordy Milne

3 Benny Kaufman

4 Pete Coleman

5 Sam Arena

Challengers

1 Morian Hansen

2 Wally Kilmister

3 Eric Chitty

4 Jimmy Gibb

5 Ron Johnson

Guest compost

Based on averages from official competitions England's line up would be

Jack Parker

Frank Charles

Joe Abbott

Eric Langton

Bill Kitchen

Actually Dusty Haigh should be 2nd but as he only rode 7 matches (compared to at least 26 for the others) I think it's right to exclude him.

Can't find that Gibb rode in Britain in '36 and as Johnson would be Australia's number 5 (Huxley was 6th on averages) you could add Baitzer Hansen (Hackney Wolves and ?) and Keith Harvey (Nottingham/Cardiff and South Africa ?) to the 'Others'.

Question : What was Wally Kilmister's nationality ?

For the USA you could put Manuel Trujillo at 5 and Putt Mossman at 4 (though I think Trujillo was Mexican so could have ridden for the 'Others').

Based on averages from official competitions England's line up would be

Jack Parker

Frank Charles

Joe Abbott

Eric Langton

Bill Kitchen

Actually Dusty Haigh should be 2nd but as he only rode 7 matches (compared to at least 26 for the others) I think it's right to exclude him.

Can't find that Gibb rode in Britain in '36 and as Johnson would be Australia's number 5 (Huxley was 6th on averages) you could add Baitzer Hansen (Hackney Wolves and ?) and Keith Harvey (Nottingham/Cardiff and South Africa ?) to the 'Others'.

Question : What was Wally Kilmister's nationality ?

For the USA you could put Manuel Trujillo at 5 and Putt Mossman at 4 (though I think Trujillo was Mexican so could have ridden for the 'Others').

(1) Jimmy Gibb first arrived in the UK in 1938 and rode for West Ham.

(2) Wally Kilmister was a New Zealander.

(3) Manuel Trujillo always claimed he was from Texas, USA. He rode for the USA in pre-WW2 test matches in Australia and New Zealand. At one time, along with Jack and Cordy Milne and Wilbur Lamoreaux, he worked with them as a motorcycle messenger for a telegram company...then all four became speedway riders on tracks in California.

Edited by Guest

Guest compost

Thanks for the info, I stand corrected (again).

Best wishes

compost

This is just for fun and please do list other years if you want to,

Image that there was a speedway world cup in 1936 what teams do you think would be in the final. Personally I have a quick check on the riders available and managed only four really competitive teams and they're listed below.

I haven't included Wilbur Lamoreaux in the USA team even though if I was their manager I would flown him into the country for the final at Wembley. Australian Ron Johnson was added the challengers team to help strengthen them.

Who would you pick for 1936 and others years?

1936 World Cup Final

England

1 Eric Langton

2 Frank Charles

3 Jack Parker

4 Bill Kitchen

5 George Newton

Australia

1 Lionel Van Praag

2 Bluey Wilkinson

3 Vic Huxley

4 Max Grosskreutz

5 Dick Case

USA

1 Jack Milne

2 Cordy Milne

3 Benny Kaufman

4 Pete Coleman

5 Sam Arena

Challengers

1 Morian Hansen

2 Wally Kilmister

3 Eric Chitty

4 Jimmy Gibb

5 Ron Johnson

Another candidate for the Challengers could be Cecil de la Porte. Despite his French-sounding name he was a South African who between 1935 nd 1937 had spells with Wembley and Birmingham.

Cecil de la Porte, 1936

Cecil%20de%20la%20Porte.jpg?timestamp=14

Edited by Guest