British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
pete cc

Stoke V Belle View Apr 22nd

My first trip tonight to Stoke since the Cradley season there 20ish years ago,was just as I remembered it. Facilities are a bit rustic, all part of its charm. Track was really difficult for most of the lads early doors, even Smith & Payne struggled early on.

Dan Bewley just took the rough conditions in his stride, a bit like he did in tricky conditions at Buxton last year, as others struggled to slide the bike. The kid clearly has tremendous technique & throttle control, so exciting watching him develop.

Was impressed by Wallinger for the Potters, got stuck in & should do well for them this season.

Great start for the Colts, looking forward to watching Armstrong & young Jenkins at the NSS on Friday night,should be a cracking night of speedway

I don't see that as charm unfortunately. I see it as everything that is wrong with speedway. It's amateur. The racing was awful. I wouldn't go back there if I lived across the street and it was free

• Like 2

My comment about "charm" was somewhat tongue in cheek Acef. The place has clearly seen better days, the track was really difficult too, particularly early on. Would I be dashing back there? Who knows.

I've read the considered thoughts of the likes of HalifaxTiger & others about Loomer Road in recent times. Had a good idea what to expect.

Absolutely horrific track. Too soft. Too grippy. BV lads scrambling all night trying to find set ups. Follow the leader racing.

Outside of the speedway it's just as bad. Run down heap of a stadium. I've seen better facilities in non league football.

I gave up going to Stoke a few years ago. Track dreadful with poor promoters.

When the Tatums leave, I will go back

I used to go regularly when John Dews did the track and enjoyed the racing as he was a great track curator

You can't please everyone. Last meeting the problem was dust. This week they put a lot of water down & it's greasey!

I used to go to Stoke a lot until a few years ago when the track went dog rough. I love the old school charm of the place. The leaning lamp post of Loomer in the pits, the flashing floodlights, the air fence going down during 15 heats of speedway over 3 hours. Cars parked on the grass who then drove off during heat 15 so the riders could see the red tail lights & then slow down. What isn't there to love about the place. I always find it strange that the place gets broken into & things stolen. Someone once said that vandals broke in & caused £250 of improvements.

It's easy to criticise when you have a brand spanking new stadium built for you. I enjoyed my visits to Kirku Lane as I very much enjoy my trips to Loomer Rd. I don't need sparkling facilities to enjoy myself. I was at the NSS on Friday following Leicester and I found it quite impersonal but difference of opinion. Is what makes the world go round. As far as I can see you have to be quite a technical rider to ride stoke and the NSS is just a flat out track. Again it makes Speedway what it is. Horses for courses. I enjoyed last night

After the difficult start to the match with the various delays for fallers, exclusions & the setting sun over the 1st bend, credit to the Stoke promotion for making every effort to rattle through the rest of the match. They had the 2 minutes on pretty quick after each race, which doesn't always happen at other tracks, so fair play to them for that.

I used to go to Stoke a lot until a few years ago when the track went dog rough. I love the old school charm of the place. The leaning lamp post of Loomer in the pits, the flashing floodlights, the air fence going down during 15 heats of speedway over 3 hours. Cars parked on the grass who then drove off during heat 15 so the riders could see the red tail lights & then slow down. What isn't there to love about the place. I always find it strange that the place gets broken into & things stolen. Someone once said that vandals broke in & caused £250 of improvements.

If they were PL, or even higher, I would be pursuing every avenue to either seek investment to overhaul the place, or shut it down.

That is not the example speedway should be setting.

Racing was very strung out though, not a patch on what it used to be, with stocks taking priority thats only to be expected.

Sounds like Stoke hasn't improved from my visit for the "Pride" of the Potteries.

Another awful track where it was near impossible to negotiate the 3rd bend.

Another power outage and another air-fence deflation

A lengthy sun break (but you can't blame Stoke for that).

All seems a shame because it sounds like they had a crowd as they ran out of programmes 30 mins before the start.

What's the story I heard on the Stoke manager running onto the track and grabbing a Belle Vue rider at the start line on his R/R race? (Malcolm, you don't get to choose the order the opposition use their R/R riders in - They can use the one average above first if they want to ) .

Also heard Stoke had a new pick up truck for the parade, but then refused Belle Vue a victory parade when the result went the wrong way. I always think it's bad sportsmanship when a home team spit the dummy and refuse the winning team a victory parade on the truck - especially when the away team have brought most of the crowd as seemed the case last night.

The Colts did their own impromptu victory parade by walking into the crowd to chat with fans, have photos and sign autographs. Well received by all.

Malcolm didn't grab anyone, he just gestured to Lee and the referee.

My opinion of Stoke as a venue is that as a sport beggars can't be chooses and I'd rather have them stage speedway than not. Having said that I think the track should be right whatever the surroundings.

Malcolm didn't grab anyone, he just gestured to Lee and the referee..

Perhaps not as bad as Kevin Jolly punching an opposing rider, but isn't interfering with the opposition riders from the centre green against the rules? What was he playing at?

I'd say he didn't realise that Lee was eligible for R/R. He must have though Jack was third in our averages and not Rob.

I would have checked before looking a chum in front of everyone.

I can't think of anything else.

No matter what anyone thinks, a track is for both teams & one of the youngest riders didn't seem to have any problems with it.Dan Bewley attacked it from the gate & for 4 laps. Others didn't & had their problems.

• Like 1

No matter what anyone thinks, a track is for both teams & one of the youngest riders didn't seem to have any problems with it.Dan Bewley attacked it from the gate & for 4 laps. Othe

rs didn't & had their problems.

And Lee is always excellent out front but struggles when he gets into traffic so that makes up for his issues but he probably blamed the track