British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
crazysue

Buxton V Stoke 30th April

I thought it sounded a lot sceptical :D

I wonder if he will still have it tomorrow :unsure:

just what I was told when I asked

No guest until he rides one meeting and was told tonight he won't ride for 4 days dew to illness

We were advised by Ellis this morning that he was ill and couldn't ride. We couldn't have a facility as he hasn't ridden for Buxton yet this year. Our only option was to put a 3pt unattached rider in as we will have to do tomorrow regardless of whether he rides for Rye House or not.

• Like 1

We were advised by Ellis this morning that he was ill and couldn't ride. We couldn't have a facility as he hasn't ridden for Buxton yet this year. Our only option was to put a 3pt unattached rider in as we will have to do tomorrow regardless of whether he rides for Rye House or not.

I thought that rule was being ignored now. The Isle of Wight used a guest for Greaves in their first official fixture.

I thought that rule was being ignored now. The Isle of Wight used a guest for Greaves in their first official fixture.

No it isn't - it was 'overlooked'.

No it isn't - it was 'overlooked'.

You mean it was a mistake? Surely Greaves' guest (Shuttleworth) should have his points removed then.

Just wanted to say that despite the scoreline your lads rode their hearts out on Monday against the Kings, Tom Woolley a credit to your team.

• Like 1

For the first time in some years I have been encouraged by the Buxton team average, it looked a competitive side on paper. However, the home meeting against Stoke was a disaster due to Perks not appearing and this has now set the scene for the immediate future.

The Kent away meeting was a horrible humiliation for all.

Ellis Perks would and should have been well aware of the importance of appearing at Buxton's first meeting and had, as far as I am aware, ridden the night before.

It is a great shame and disappointment that Ellis was too ill, or chose not to appear and spend four minutes in the saddle in an effort to give Buxton a fighting chance using guests to cover for him in future.

Personally I am sick to death of paying full admission to watch six man Buxton teams riding their guts out to cover for non-existent, non-appearing or simply absent riders.

It is not fair to the riders, nor to the paying public.

The Hopwood shenanigans, the Ollie Greenwood disaster, David Wallinger showing how good he can be for Stoke but not for Buxton, Tony Atkin clearing off halfway through a season have all left me with a bad taste in my mouth in previous years.

At least when Charles Wright was riding, we had something to cheer about even if he couldn't hold the whole team up from the number one spot.

And what the hell was going on with two five lap races last Sunday never mind attempting to run a race meeting without sufficient flag marshalls?

• Like 1

For the first time in some years I have been encouraged by the Buxton team average, it looked a competitive side on paper. However, the home meeting against Stoke was a disaster due to Perks not appearing and this has now set the scene for the immediate future.

The Kent away meeting was a horrible humiliation for all.

Ellis Perks would and should have been well aware of the importance of appearing at Buxton's first meeting and had, as far as I am aware, ridden the night before.

It is a great shame and disappointment that Ellis was too ill, or chose not to appear and spend four minutes in the saddle in an effort to give Buxton a fighting chance using guests to cover for him in future.

Personally I am sick to death of paying full admission to watch six man Buxton teams riding their guts out to cover for non-existent, non-appearing or simply absent riders.

It is not fair to the riders, nor to the paying public.

The Hopwood shenanigans, the Ollie Greenwood disaster, David Wallinger showing how good he can be for Stoke but not for Buxton, Tony Atkin clearing off halfway through a season have all left me with a bad taste in my mouth in previous years.

At least when Charles Wright was riding, we had something to cheer about even if he couldn't hold the whole team up from the number one spot.

And what the hell was going on with two five lap races last Sunday never mind attempting to run a race meeting without sufficient flag marshalls?

I to am fed up with riders making promises they don't keep and letting us and the team down. Perhaps the time has come for the club to call it a day. A lot of time, effort and money goes into keeping the club going and you have to wonder if it is worthwhile. Not sure where you get the idea that Tony Atkin left halfway through a season as that is not true and he has never left us or Stoke down. Unfortunately though, Tony is a Stoke asset and as such they have first call on his services. Regarding flag marshals there was one person on each bend which is what the regulations state. The fourth bend marshal was also helping out on the start line. As for the five lap races, yes the start marshal made a mistake and he is new to the job. It is not as easy as it looks and even experience start marshals have been know to make a mistake.

I to am fed up with riders making promises they don't keep and letting us and the team down. Perhaps the time has come for the club to call it a day. A lot of time, effort and money goes into keeping the club going and you have to wonder if it is worthwhile. Not sure where you get the idea that Tony Atkin left halfway through a season as that is not true and he has never left us or Stoke down. Unfortunately though, Tony is a Stoke asset and as such they have first call on his services. Regarding flag marshals there was one person on each bend which is what the regulations state. The fourth bend marshal was also helping out on the start line. As for the five lap races, yes the start marshal made a mistake and he is new to the job. It is not as easy as it looks and even experience start marshals have been know to make a mistake.

What?

Not easy to count to FOUR!

We also had a five lap race at Kent recently.

What?

Not easy to count to FOUR!

We also had a five lap race at Kent recently.

I was trying to make the point that everyone makes mistakes and its not just about counting to four. After all you have said that your own start marshal did the same thing. We have to remember that without the volunteers that do these jobs at most tracks the meetings wouldn't run.

• Like 6

Thank you for replying Jayne, however I seem to remember Tony having a rough time in early 2013 which culminating in him being absent for the rest of the season after the Kings Lynn away meeting and Buxton riding r/r for part of the season and using Lee Smart later on. I thought I remembered hearing at that time that Tony had withdrawn his services, but satisfyingly the results without Tony included a 60-31 absolute rout of Kent, so perhaps Kent fans might like to bear that in mind following last Mondays match?

There was certainly not a flag marshall on turn four in heat one at the first attempt because the ref. called for one to be present. I am not even sure said marshall was there for the re-run of heat one either, but he was later on.

Thank you for replying Jayne, however I seem to remember Tony having a rough time in early 2013 which culminating in him being absent for the rest of the season after the Kings Lynn away meeting and Buxton riding r/r for part of the season and using Lee Smart later on. I thought I remembered hearing at that time that Tony had withdrawn his services, but satisfyingly the results without Tony included a 60-31 absolute rout of Kent, so perhaps Kent fans might like to bear that in mind following last Mondays match?

There was certainly not a flag marshall on turn four in heat one at the first attempt because the ref. called for one to be present. I am not even sure said marshall was there for the re-run of heat one either, but he was later on.

The flag marshal was on track and at the start line assisting a new start marshal. Once the tapes went up he went to the fourth bend and was there in plenty of time to put out the red flag if necessary. The referee might have called for one to be present but that was only down to lack of communication between the COC and the referee's box. The marshal you are referring to as being there 'later on' was a different person.

With regards to Tony he has never let Buxton down. I remember the situation you are referring to now and there was a good reason for Tony not riding in those matches (I'm not going into it though as it is not my place to do so). It was certainly not that he just couldn't be bothered.

• Like 1

Thanks Jayne for open and clear comments. It really is refreshing to see engaging and listening promoters. I'm sure the situation will get better shortly.