British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
britmet

Top Five South African Riders

Keith Harvey, teams 1929-1947. Teams included High Beech, Stamford Bridge, West Ham, Wimbledon, Nottingham, Birmingham, Crystal Palace, New Cross.

Keith Harvey

Edited by Guest

Keith Harvey, teams 1929-1947. Teams included High Beech, Stamford Bridge, West Ham, Wimbledon, Nottingham, Birmingham, Crystal Palace, New Cross.

Keith Harvey

I recall reading in an edition of Len Steed's excellent 'Speedway Reporter' that after his departure from New Cross that Keith Harvey had a trial at Exeter where he unofficially broke the track record. But subsequently Exeter's effort to sign him fell through when he was unable to get a renewal on his racing licence because of his age - Harvey was then five months short of his 51st birthday. I do not recall reading this story in any of the other - I think it was four - speedway magazines.

Looking back at my Liverpool scrapbook from 1949 I am reminded of some of the escapades of the Chads' South Africans, Fred Wills and Doug Serrurier, who along with Harry Welch became tagged as the Three Musketeers, noted for their escapades in their 'off-white' van. On one occasion it was used as emergency sleeping accommodation on the East Lancs Road, another time it broke down and caused chaos on Tamworth Road, with the worst event being an overturned trailer en-route to Exeter, which resulted in three wrecked bikes. Wills and Serrurier had a great following at Stanley Stadium.

Sometimes easy to forget nowadays with super roads,motorways and modern vans,just what an adventure it must have been in the 1920-1950s to drive from Exeter to Liverpool or London to Glasgow etc...

Doug Serrurier was one of five brothers - all of whom at one time were speedway riders. I think the brothers first names were Harry, Jack, Bob and Allen.

Henry Long, Doug Davies, Warren Maier, Denzil Kent, Byron Bekker