British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
thebaron

Transfer Windows & One League

Okay sure, so there are enough riders to go around. The transfer window seems like a big step forward, and would really shake up the new league. But then you have to consider that if it's now one big league, when does each season start and end, providing each team faces another team home and away? That'll take a longer period of time than April to October, meaning it will have to stretch into winter. I imagine riding in thick snow probably isn't too good. Added onto this is the fact that if a lot of meetings get postponed, they'll end up running into the NEXT season so they'd end up not happening.

Transfer Window = Yes

One League = No

Always said and mentioned it to Rob Godfrey that doubling up is killing the sport, it was never needed before it was introduced and it isn't needed now.

When you have riders like Joe Jacobs having to wait a long time to get a spot because of riders doubling up/down is ridiculous.

I want to be proud of Sheffield team but you cant when close to entire team is doubling up for others.

Okay sure, so there are enough riders to go around. The transfer window seems like a big step forward, and would really shake up the new league. But then you have to consider that if it's now one big league, when does each season start and end, providing each team faces another team home and away? That'll take a longer period of time than April to October, meaning it will have to stretch into winter. I imagine riding in thick snow probably isn't too good. Added onto this is the fact that if a lot of meetings get postponed, they'll end up running into the NEXT season so they'd end up not happening.

Transfer Window = Yes

One League = No

given that there'd be around 18 teams you can fit home fixtures in less than 5 months leaving enough time for cup matches, a pre season warm up. Not all Championship clubs would want to get involved IMO - the NL would then be around 12 or so clubs. We may also lose Lakeside and Swindon altogether

I’m not sure a transfer window would achieve anything, other than teams being forced to stick with underperforming riders. In my opinion, the reason teams change their line-ups more today than in the past it due to the play-offs.

If you look at the current Premiership table, Swindon in 6th still have an outside chance of making the play-offs, being six points behind fourth place King’s Lynn. However, take the play-offs out of the equation and Swindon’s season is effectively over, being 18 points behind first place Belle Vue.

Therefore, without the play-offs Swindon would simply be seeing out the rest of the season, whereas the play-offs give them something to race for and therefore an incentive to try and improve their team.

• Like 1

The example showing that there are enough riders to fill 22 teams in a single league without anyone doubling up is very interesting. Not that many years

ago the Second Division had about 20 clubs as I recall and good crowds everywhere. Riders did not shift from one team to another every other day as they

do today and, although well in the past, no one would argue that today's system is better. When the British League was formed in 65 there was one league

and it was a huge success. So maybe that is the way to go again and let history repeat itself.

It is interesting comparing the two SWC meetings this week. One which had a clear disparity in the quality of riders and produced dreadful racing, while the other had very evenly matched riders and produced exceptional racing.

Anyone who thinks amalgamating the leagues and putting international standard Premiership regulars up against riders who are currently averaging 6s and 7s in the National League would produce anything other than the most processional borefest, is bonkers.

I don't think it is about Doyle, Holder or any other top tier rider and whether they would or would not ride in the U.K.. It is about preserving the sport on a competitive basis here and building for the future rather than tinkering around the edges and pandering to those who do not want to commit to BL racing except on their personal terms.

I still believe that True speedway fans want competitive teams and racing, to see team riding, identifying with your team hero, watching your No.8 break into the team, seeing the 6 and 7 challenge the heat leaders and even bringing back the golden helmet match race and silver helmet match race.

Frankly the top tier riders can make a living out of riding elsewhere and compete at GP level. Those who want that upper echelon fix can get that from the GP'S and swell the coffers of those who run those meetings. On that basis Cardiff might exceed a crowd of 50k.

Have an International meeting or two (Poland have done so recently so it cannot be all bad) but it is time to stop thinking that Tai or any of the others will want to ride regular UK league meetings, it's not going to happen without a cost to the sport as a whole be it financial or regular racing. German crowds are healthy and they don't seem to crave a Nicki P or similar. The UK are no longer a dominant force and the money is not here to command the top tier of the sport, except on the odd occasion (GP).

Roll on some reality, but I won't hold my breathe

yes i could see many of those riders opting out - big deal - the sport is bigger than them. When there was a big 1st division there were plenty of blokes who were virtually unbeatable - Briggs, Mauger, etc and plenty of reserves and second strings without a hope of beating them - didn't make it a bad sport.

The top boys had 10 and 11 plus averages so that shows the disparity but it wasn't a problem - quite the reverse

I'd limit the amount of team changes to 2 per team but don't include changes thay are needed due to injuries. That should stop some of the knee jerk changes, they actually have to think about it and not change for changes sake.