British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

Melbourne Gp Saturday 28th October 2017

Looking more like an Australia v Rest Of The World match than a GP now.

World Title not decided yet, Doyle looking nervy, Dudek on fire. 3 riders going for the Bronze. 8th spot still up for grabs. For the locals it'll be great to have that many Countrymen in the GP. Little bit too much doom and gloom here surely?

THE danger of holding a SGP in the Southern Hemisphere at the end of the season, rather than the beginning, has manifested itself in Melbourne. Four of the 2017 starters missing through injury and two of their replacements (Fricke and Millik) unavailable as well That scenario would be most unlikely at the start of the campaign.

Why is Millik unavailable

Probably had something to do with having to sort out everything in less than a day and have everything ready to be shipped/flown from Amsterdam...

Wont help his Wild Card chances....

Wont help his Wild Card chances....

DON'T think anyone will blame him. The bikes were shipped out two days after Torun. Although they go air-freight, customs clearance in Oz can take an eternity.

Ah right Fair enough.

The climax of the season used to be World Final night, with, theoretically, any one of 16 riders able to take the crown

Now, for 2017 it's any one of two, and long odds against one of them - and the rest of the excitement is about qualifying for next season

Oh for the good old days!

• Like 4

The climax of the season used to be World Final night, with, theoretically, any one of 16 riders able to take the crown

Now, for 2017 it's any one of two, and long odds against one of them - and the rest of the excitement is about qualifying for next season

Oh for the good old days!

Wembley World Final or Cardiff GP?...No contest.

I saw Fundin and Penhall among others crowned champion at Wembley. I did not see Hancock crowned champion in Cardiff when I was there in 2014. I always left Wembley excited, I left Cardiff underwhelmed. This may be largely due to the GP format as I much prefer 20 heats, top scorer wins, although I did feel Cardiff was lacking in atmosphere compared to Wembley on World Final night.

• Like 1

Wembley World Final or Cardiff GP?...No contest.

I saw Fundin and Penhall among others crowned champion at Wembley. I did not see Hancock crowned champion in Cardiff when I was there in 2014. I always left Wembley excited, I left Cardiff underwhelmed. This may be largely due to the GP format as I much prefer 20 heats, top scorer wins, although I did feel Cardiff was lacking in atmosphere compared to Wembley on World Final night.

each to there own but with a one off final you get weird results. Pawlicki has been awful this season but had the Final been on the one day he performed, you know the rest.

Davy Watt might win the Aussie GP. :lol:

World Final, a contender could have a fall, EF and be done. after 2 rounds of heats were generally only a few riders in with a chance of winning anyway.

94 final was ok

93 ok

92 boring (but great result!)

91 Boring

90 brilliant

89 dreadful

88 ditto

87 ditto

86 ok

85 brilliant

84 boring

83 boring

82 mostly boring with one major incident

81 obviously brilliant

wont go any further back but point being we can all have rose tinted memories....

Edited by RPNYC
  • Like 1

each to there own but with a one off final you get weird results. Pawlicki has been awful this season but had the Final been on the one day he performed, you know the rest.

Davy Watt might win the Aussie GP. :lol:

The unpredictability of a World Final!

Exactly!

There's unlikely to be much at Melbourne

That's rather my point!