British Speedway Forum
mIcK50

Johnny Chamberlain

Does anyone have any info on a rider by the name of Johnny Chamberlain? I think he was an Aussie from Perth and he rode for Norwich during the early 60's. I have heard a lot of stories about him from old timers here in Perth, Western Australia, and while I love to listen to a bit of bull, I'm very curious about this bloke. He seems to be a bit of a mystery man here locally.

That name rings a distant bell from way back. :?

Would it be the same Johnny Chamberlain who rode for Leicester Hunters in the early 1950's?

Our best bet for finding out is our friend Norbold so watch this space. :approve:

I'll see what I can do, Gem...

Johnnie Chamberlain joined Yarmouth in 1952, went to Ipswich in 1954 and in 1958 moved to Norwich. Following Aub Lawson's departure at the end of 1960, Chamberlain became the Stars' second rider behind Ove Fundin but his average was only 6.71 compared to the great man's 12.47! He left Norwich at the end of 1962.

He rode in several Test matches for Australia but his main claim to fame is that he is reputed to be the smallest rider ever to ride in speedway,

His other claim to fame is that he took part in the first match I ever saw, coming last twice!

CHAMBERLAIN, John

1952 43m 195pts 4.53ave Div 2, Yarmouth

1953 17m 147pts 8.64ave Div 2, Yarmouth

1954 15m 65pts 4.33ave Div 2, Ipswich

1958 8m 18pts 2.25ave Div 1, Norwich

1959 7m 29pts 4.14ave Norwich Reserves

1959 12m 46pts 3.83ave Div 1, Norwich

1960 12m 56.5p 4.70ave Div 1, Norwich

1961 17m 107.5p 6.32ave Div 1, Norwich

Began racing at Perth in his Australia homeland and was recommended to Yarmouth by Wally Higgs, an ex-rider with the team. Chamberlain was on the verge of big things prior to a broken leg at Poole in June of 1953. A failure to become a regular at Ipswich in '54 saw him retiring from English racing. Two poor seasons back home in Australia eventually ended in retirement. One of the smallest riders at 4ft, 9ins, he injured an arm in on his British return in 1958 which kept him on the sidelines for the early part of the season. A broken wrist in 1961 cut short his career.

He didn't ride for Leicester then? :-( Perhaps I was thinking of Johnnie Carpenter, but I do remember him and that he was the smallest rider around at the time (or perhaps ever.)

CARPENTER, Johnny

1949 - 40m, 192p, 4.80ave, Div 3- Leicester

1950 - 35m, 188p, 5.37ave, Div 3- Leicester

1951 - 11m, 30p, 2.72ave, Div 2- Leicester

1952 - 5m, 9p, 1.80ave, Div 2- Leicester

My dad rode against him. I'll send you his email address, he'll send you back a story or two.

CARPENTER, Johnny

1949 - 40m, 192p, 4.80ave, Div 3- Leicester

1950 - 35m, 188p, 5.37ave, Div 3- Leicester

1951 - 11m, 30p, 2.72ave, Div 2- Leicester

1952 - 5m, 9p, 1.80ave, Div 2- Leicester

Thanks moxey63. Obviously that's who I was thinking of who rode for Leicester. (Same initials anyway. ;-) ) I'm sure he was quite small as well, but not as short as Johnny Chamberlain.

I have got a programme somewhere with his picture on the front so I will have to try and find it.

Johnny 'Tom Thumb' Chamberlain is alive and well here in Western Australia.

Bumped into him the other day in a shopping centre in Mandurah - around 60km south of Perth.

He is a really nice guy.

I've just spent ten days in Mandurah...but I didn't see him! Is that where he lives?

He lives somewhere around there - Mandurah area - not sure exactly where.

Guest starfundin

I remember Johnnie from his Norwich days, when he was very unlucky with injuries. Because of his size he was always exciting to watch but featured in some very horrifying crashes and was probably among those unsong heros' who never really received the praise they deserved.

In the same side was Billy Bales, another mighty atom.

There is a picture of little Johnny on the Norwich page of www.defunctspeedway.co.uk

If Johnny was the littlest ever rider it would have been interesting to see him beside Newcastles 1929 rider Harry Huntly whom at 6ft 8ins was the tallest ever

Was Johnny Chamberlain smaller than Peter Craven - the original Wizard of Balance and arguably England's greatest double world champion?

Johnny was at 4 foot 9 inches "big" the smallest speedway rider known. As stated he suffered some hair-raising crashes including one where he took out 20 yards of fence at the Firs after clipping the back wheel of Roy Moreton of Swindon. Johnny also rode for Ipswich for a time.

Incidentally the photo of Johnny on John's Defunct Track site is on the Yarmouth Bloaters entry, not Norwich's section

Edited by star ghost