British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest compost

Help needed for April 1992 queries

Guest compost

Hi

Me again.  Below is, quite a long, list of queries I have for April 1992 whilst compiling a complete 1992 Season file for the Speedway Researcher.  Please check the list and if you can help that would be great.  Thanks

1st April

Poole vs Swindon Reserve match. Listed in Speedway Star as the Reserve Gold Cup match.  However there is also a Reserve Gold Cup match between the 2 teams on the 13th May (with a different score).  So which is the ‘real’ Reserve Gold Cup match ?  The Reserve League match was on the 30th September.

4th April.  Heat 1 of King’s Lynn vs Swindon.  Yearbook has Lofqvist 3rd and Brhel 4th whilst Speedway Star has Brhel then Lofqvist.  Which is the correct order ?

5th April. Heat 7 of Mildenhall vs Peterborough.  Yearbook has Whittaker 2nd, Colquhoun 3rd whilst Speedway Star has them the other way round.  Which is correct ?

Also, heat 6 of the Reserve League match between Mildenhall & Peterborough.  Yearbook has Clouting 2nd Wilson 3rd whilst Star has them the other way round. Which is correct ?

9th April. The pre-season fixture list in the Speedway Star has Sheffield vs Edinburgh in the Gold Cup on this date.  There is no mention of a postponement that I can find so did this meeting take place (if not, why not) ?

11th April. Due to a number of differences between the Yearbook and the Speedway Star can anyone supply, from a programme, heat details for the Reserve League match between Cradley and Eastbourne ?

11th April. Due to a number of differences between the Yearbook and the Speedway Star can anyone supply, from a programme, heat details for the Reserve North League match between Berwick and Sheffield ?

12th April. Reserve South League match between Mildenhall and Nottingham (Long Eaton).  Anyone know the heat times for this meeting (they are not given in the Star) ?

12th April. Heat 12 Rye House vs Peterborough Gold Cup. Conflict between the Yearbook and the Speedway Star as to who finished 1st & 2nd.  Yearbook has O’Brien then Goodwin whilst Star has them reversed.

15th April. The Yearbook has Long Eaton defeating Peterborough 51-39 on this day.  The Speedway Star has the meeting as Rained off. Which is correct ? If the Yearbook is correct then I need heat details for this match plus details of any Reserve fixture raced.

17th April. Heat 4 of the Reserve South Gold Cup match between Ipswich & King’s Lynn.  The Yearbook has Savalas 2nd & Tacey 3rd whilst the Star has them the other way round.  Which is correct ?

17th April. Oxford vs Swindon.  This morning meeting was abandoned after an attempt had been made to run heat 1.  Does anyone know the team line-ups  and who was in the aborted heat ?

17th April. Heat 9 of Poole vs Reading Gold Cup match. The Yearbook has Andy Phillips as F NS (so no ride) whilst the Star has him as F EXC (counts as a ride).  Which is correct ?

Also, in heat 13 Per Jonsson finished 3rd behind Armando Castagna & Tony Langdon – who tied for 1st place.  No bonus point is listed for Jonsson, is that the correct interpretation for awarding a bonus point (some years a bonus point would have been awarded in this situation) ?

17th April. Heat 3 of Peterborough vs Rye House Reserve League match. The Yearbook has Graham Barker as N (i.e. not riding in heat for some reason, so no ride) whilst the Star has him as F (which counts as a ride).  Which is correct (or was he F NS) ?

17th April. Heat 6 of the Reserve North League match between Sheffield & Middlesbrough.  The Yearbook has Jones 2nd & S Swales 3rd whilst the Star has them the other way round.  Which is correct ?

18th April. The Reserve match between Stoke & Mildenhall was abandoned after 2 heats. No heat details were published so does anyone have them ?

20th April. Heat 10 of the Challenge between Oxford & Reading.  The Yearbook has Doncaster 2nd & Morton 3rd whilst the Star has them the other way round.  Which is correct ? Was there a second half (if so details please) ?

20th April. Swindon vs Ipswich.  Who was Swindon’s number 7 ?  Yearbook says Boulton, Star says Elkins.

20th April. Exeter vs Milton Keynes. Yearbook has Exeter’s number 8, Richard Knight, as DNR whilst the Star lists him in heats 6 & 10 (the Star, for once, seems correct – as the scorecard from the Yearbook is missing 2 last places).

Confirmation, from a programme, needed on the  scores for Steen & Walker – the Star has Steen as 5-5-1 & Walker 4-4-1 whilst the Yearbook has them the other way round.

20th April. Newcastle vs Glasgow. Need programme confirmation of 1st & 2nd in Heat 6 ?  Yearbook has Mark Thorpe down as 2nd and scoring a paid maximum, however Star lists Neil Collins as winning the heat which means no paid maximum for Thorpe.

20th April. Rye House vs Mildenhall.  Did Jan Pedersen take a 5th ride (a 4th place) as per the Yearbook or not (as per the Star) ?  If he did take the 5th ride, which heat was it in (and did he replace someone) ?

24th April. Edinburgh vs Glasgow Reserve North League match. In heat 2 was McDonald excluded for tapes (as per the Star report) or otherwise not in the heat (the Yearbook just lists him as N – which could be for a 2 minute exclusion or just a simple replacement).  The tape exclusion would count as a ride, the 2 minute exclusion wouldn’t.

26th April. Mildenhall vs Exeter Reserve South League match. Need programme confirmation of heat 3.  Star has Clark 2nd whilst Year book has him as exc tapes.  Yearbook appears to have Nathan Wilson 2nd in this heat instead.

29th April

. Nottingham vs Rye House Reserve South League match.  Yearbook has Shaun Naylor riding for Nottingham whilst the Star has Mark Geary instead.  Which is correct ? 

30th April. Ipswich vs Arena Essex Gold Cup.  Did this match take place on this date or was it postponed ?

30th April. Sheffield vs Glasgow Gold Cup.  This match was abandoned following a failed attempt to run heat 10.  Simon Green is mentioned as having ridden in the aborted 10th heat but who else was in it ?

Updated with bolding to show queries that still need to be resolved

Edited by compost
Highlighted queries still needing answers to

17/4 Oxo v Swindon

Oxo: Nielsen, Carlson, Dugard R/R for Butler, Barker, Cunningham, Andersen no 8 Timmo

Swin: Shirra, Standing, Adams, Davis, Nilsen, Schroek, Elkins

Ht 1: Track very wet, four riders steamed into 1st bend, three came down, Shirra excluded, race never re-run

20 April Oxo v Reading

I have Donkey 2nd and Morton 3rd in ht 10

2nd Half - Reserve League Easter Challenge

OXFORD 18 READING 17

- I can send you a scan of the completed racecard

17/4 Poole v Reading

Ht 9 I have Phillips as FX

Ht 10 I do not believe it has ever been correct to award a bonus point in this situation, and none is shown in my programme

15/4 LE v Peterboro

From 22/4 prog: "The weather was of course quite dreadful...  an early match-off decision was made at 3.30pm"

29th April - Nottingham v Rye House (Reserve League)

From marked programme Mark Geary replaced Shaun Naylor in the Nottingham team.

2 hours ago, arnieg said:

Ht 10 I do not believe it has ever been correct to award a bonus point in this situation, and none is shown in my programme

That is correct.  A bonus point would be awarded for the rider finishing third if his partner was placed second.  A partner dead-heating for first place is not classified as finishing second.

result of heat 6

1  Neil Collins      2  Mark Thorpe    3  Tim Kornelliussen   4  Wayne Garratt     66.5

5 hours ago, compost said:

9th April. The pre-season fixture list in the Speedway Star has Sheffield vs Edinburgh in the Gold Cup on this date.  There is no mention of a postponement that I can find so did this meeting take place (if not, why not) ?

Sheffield started a little late that season due to work on the new fence taking longer than expected.The first two home meetings were called off.

6 hours ago, compost said:

30th April. Sheffield vs Glasgow Gold Cup.  This match was abandoned following a failed attempt to run heat 10.  Simon Green is mentioned as having ridden in the aborted 10th heat but who else was in it ?

Peter Carr,Mick Powell and Jason Straughan

Guest compost

Thanks for the help everybody.

I'll update the help needed list.

Re the bonus point query - I've seen pre-1965 results where a similar situation to the one I queried did result in a BP for the rider in 3rd. So, just wanted to check.  Logically, I can't see why a rider finishing 3rd with a team-mate finishing joint 1st shouldn't get a BP as they have finished directly (the important bit) behind their team-mate.  Having said that, I can also see the opposing view and in any case it's the official postion that's important and not my opinion.  Thanks again for the clarification.

Guest compost
21 hours ago, arnieg said:

2nd Half - Reserve League Easter Challenge

OXFORD 18 READING 17

- I can send you a scan of the completed racecard

That would be great if you would please.

Guest compost
18 hours ago, oggyNZ said:

result of heat 6

1  Neil Collins      2  Mark Thorpe    3  Tim Kornelliussen   4  Wayne Garratt     66.5

OggyNZ. I assume that your result above comes from a programme ?  I'm querying what the Speedway Star (and the Yearbook too) had published. Thanks

4 hours ago, compost said:

Thanks for the help everybody.

I'll update the help needed list.

Re the bonus point query - I've seen pre-1965 results where a similar situation to the one I queried did result in a BP for the rider in 3rd. So, just wanted to check.  Logically, I can't see why a rider finishing 3rd with a team-mate finishing joint 1st shouldn't get a BP as they have finished directly (the important bit) behind their team-mate.  Having said that, I can also see the opposing view and in any case it's the official postion that's important and not my opinion.  Thanks again for the clarification.

I have a programme where the two riders tieing for second both got 2 points.

Doesn't make it right.

EVEN THOUGH IT WAS THE REFEREE'S SIGNED COPY!!!!!!