British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Eagle69

Ivan Mauger Farewell tour

Hi, I wonder if anyone could help me with the order that Ivans Farewell tour followed, many thanks

22 hours ago, Eagle69 said:

Hi, I wonder if anyone could help me with the order that Ivans Farewell tour followed, many thanks

I've just skimmed thru' Ivan's autobiography and it appearsĀ  a Farewell to Australia tour kicked started Ivan's retirement from speedway taking in places like Mildura, Liverpool and Melbourne. He did two farewell meetings in Poland, three in Germany, one in Scotland, one in England before heading back for the 1985-86 New Zealand series. Apparently there were 16 meetings in total.

Just checked the 1985 Speedway Year Book and they are listed as follows:

Perth 26/12/84, Tom Price 30/12/84, Tom Price 1/1/85, Port Hedland 4/1/85, Mount Newman 5/1/85, Broken Hill 12/1/85, Newcastle 18/1/85, Brisbane 19/1/85, Mildura 27/1/85, Melbourne 2/2/85, Shepperton 9/2/85 (Australia), Neuenknick 7/4/85, Landshut 4/5/85 (West Germany), Gniezno 24/8/85, Leszno 25/8/85 (Poland), Edinburgh 20/9/85 (Scotland), Bremen 28/9/85 (West Germany), Belle Vue 3/11/85 (England)

No trace of the NZ rounds I'm afraid.

Edited by steve roberts