British Speedway Forum
TotallyHonestJohn

Newcastle v Glasgow (Champ) 15/08/21 1830 hours

3 hours ago, ruffdiamond said:

A thought Summers had been woeful as a guest, but his ht13 ride was a match winner for us. If he hadn't have passed Wells, it could've turned out so different. 

Does one heat win make a summer(s)? :D

• Haha 1

I must beg to differ with gmarsbar2. I was at the meeting, as I have been regularly for the last 45 years. Even if it is from the gate team riding comes into the excitement as would have been seen from heat 5. Clegg and Wright made the gate from Craig Cooks missed jump and blocked his every move for 4 laps. Connor Mountains heat 10 race. Ben Barkers outside moves in races.

Please don't blame Newcastle for the starts, it makes a change to have a neutral referee. Professional riders and team manager should be able to sort out starts. If all Glasgow meetings are better than this I am pleased for you as you getting the best entertainment going.

I and many others were expecting a good hiding from Glasgow especially as Craig Cook would get a 15 point max.On the day Newcastle wanted it and fought for it end of !

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, oggyNZ said:

I must beg to differ with gmarsbar2. I was at the meeting, as I have been regularly for the last 45 years. Even if it is from the gate team riding comes into the excitement as would have been seen from heat 5. Clegg and Wright made the gate from Craig Cooks missed jump and blocked his every move for 4 laps. Connor Mountains heat 10 race. Ben Barkers outside moves in races.

Please don't blame Newcastle for the starts, it makes a change to have a neutral referee. Professional riders and team manager should be able to sort out starts. If all Glasgow meetings are better than this I am pleased for you as you getting the best entertainment going.

I and many others were expecting a good hiding from Glasgow especially as Craig Cook would get a 15 point max. On the day Newcastle wanted it and fought for it end of !

Heat 3 was a cracking race when Steve Worrall went off 15 and for the following reason... not one pass in the whole race yet you could have thrown a blanket over the four of them going over the line... the two diamonds were knocking on the door pushing Jensen all the way from both inside and out but neither Clegg nor Wright could switch off either with Worrall keeping both of those two on their toes and honest... good to watch and not a pass made...

Plus that Ludvig outside line is coming back and a few of the guys are having the confidence to go out wide as they are now getting something out of the track and that also builds on the excitement and the quality of racing and I can remember numerous passes in that meeting... all of the Newcastle team came to the party even the guest eventually and it was a thoroughly enjoyable meeting... to which Glasgow and the referee played their parts in contributing to the entertainment...

Regards
THJ

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Heat 3 was a cracking race when Steve Worrall went off 15 and for the following reason... not one pass in the whole race yet you could have thrown a blanket over the four of them going over the line... the two diamonds were knocking on the door pushing Jensen all the way from both inside and out but neither Clegg nor Wright could switch off either with Worrall keeping both of those two on their toes and honest... good to watch and not a pass made...

Plus that Ludvig outside line is coming back and a few of the guys are having the confidence to go out wide as they are now getting something out of the track and that also builds on the excitement and the quality of racing and I can remember numerous passes in that meeting... all of the Newcastle team came to the party even the guest eventually and it was a thoroughly enjoyable meeting... to which Glasgow and the referee played their parts in contributing to the entertainment...

Regards
THJ

Just need a Ludvig back to come and show everyone how to perfect it :D Fingers crossed next year... Easily the most styling rider I've seen ride for the Diamonds (since 2008) I get that he was massively inconsistent, but I don't care... Them moes he did into bend 3 and 4 were just breath taking, and I've not seen anyone do it since he left :sad: Please come back Ludvig, PLLEEEASSEEE

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, gmarsbar2 said:

This was definitely not one of the best meetings ever at Newcastle,  I have seen Glasgow lose there many times but still seen some great racing round Brough Park but not on Sunday.

This was the worst meeting I have been to this season it was FTG in the most part then follow the leader round the curb because if you went out wide you went backwards. The referee didn't help matters by holding the tapes really long. Riders from both sides were moving, as starts were so important. 

The scores being close throughout does not make it a thriller when you do not see any overtaking, that would be tense . Prepare a race track and you might be entertained.

Credit to the Newcastle riders on their hard fought victory. Adam Roynon was outstanding hopefully he can continue in this vain and avoid injury.

Try telling that to Max Clegg who rode outside Wright in every ride and did it with speed and NOT going backwards. It was one of the best close meetings we have had, given the away side that was built to be strong, and we ride without a heat leader and have done all season. It was a classic case of David and Goliath, but Goliath got twitchy as the pressure was more on them,  given their expectations and expense. Oniy one rider, a guest, from the Diamonds was guilty of a tapes infringement, whilst just about every race a Tiger was guilty including other heats like Heat 1 when a Tiger jumped, but was not punished. Make meetings like that every week, and we could be packed every week and I readily acknowledge the tremendous effort Tigers put into their racing.

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Tsunami said:

Try telling that to Max Clegg who rode outside Wright in every ride and did it with speed and NOT going backwards. It was one of the best close meetings we have had, given the away side that was built to be strong, and we ride without a heat leader and have done all season. It was a classic case of David and Goliath, but Goliath got twitchy as the pressure was more on them,  given their expectations and expense. Oniy one rider, a guest, from the Diamonds was guilty of a tapes infringement, whilst just about every race a Tiger was guilty including other heats like Heat 1 when a Tiger jumped, but was not punished. Make meetings like that every week, and we could be packed every week and I readily acknowledge the tremendous effort Tigers put into their racing.

I know we are spoilt with the quality of racing at Glasgow but I have seen better racing at what I would call trick tracks Armadale, Berwick, Plymouth and Wolverhampton this season than I saw on Sunday. 

You will get close racing if there's a road block out in front stacking up the riders behind on the only racing line. Maybe that's good for the home fans when it's only the away riders that are making the mistake of drifting out wide.

Max Clegg was ahead of James Wright each time they rode together, maybe he was protecting the inside line. He rode well but was gifted points, unless he passed a rider down the back straight on the first lap all of his passes were up the inside. In heat 3 he was stuck behind Sam Jensen for 4 laps. Heat 5 Craig Cook moved first, Max reacted to this and ended up getting a flyer. Heat 9 he was on the wrong end of a 5-1 until Sedgmen drifted out wide after 3 laps to gift him second. Heat 14 Jensen lead for 3 laps until checking out the dog track and letting him through for the win. Heat 15 he was last until Cook went out wide trying to pass Ben Barker which let Clegg through for third.

I don't know where THJ saw this outside line. Ben Barker was busting a gut trying make the outside work, as was Steve Worrall  and Craig Cook. Unless you got a slingshot out of bend 2 down the back straight on the first lap it was very difficult to pass.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

13 hours ago, gmarsbar2 said:

I know we are spoilt with the quality of racing at Glasgow but I have seen better racing at what I would call trick tracks Armadale, Berwick, Plymouth and Wolverhampton this season than I saw on Sunday. 

You will get close racing if there's a road block out in front stacking up the riders behind on the only racing line. Maybe that's good for the home fans when it's only the away riders that are making the mistake of drifting out wide.

Max Clegg was ahead of James Wright each time they rode together, maybe he was protecting the inside line. He rode well but was gifted points, unless he passed a rider down the back straight on the first lap all of his passes were up the inside. In heat 3 he was stuck behind Sam Jensen for 4 laps. Heat 5 Craig Cook moved first, Max reacted to this and ended up getting a flyer. Heat 9 he was on the wrong end of a 5-1 until Sedgmen drifted out wide after 3 laps to gift him second. Heat 14 Jensen lead for 3 laps until checking out the dog track and letting him through for the win. Heat 15 he was last until Cook went out wide trying to pass Ben Barker which let Clegg through for third.

I don't know where THJ saw this outside line. Ben Barker was busting a gut trying make the outside work, as was Steve Worrall  and Craig Cook. Unless you got a slingshot out of bend 2 down the back straight on the first lap it was very difficult to pass.

Firstly I am surprised you think Berwick is a trick track but never mind I will leave others to argue that... and I fully agree with you when you say you get close racing from a road block however is it not then up to the chasing rider(s) to have the confidence; technical skill and the ability to chase and pass that road block no matter where it is on the track. Clegg was one of the riders having a go on the outside line; however that outside line I was referring to is only on bends 3 and 4 as there isn't really an outside line as such on 1 and 2 and to be fair there isn't really and inside line on 1 and 2 either as the sweet spot perfected by James Greives is about 2/3rds out off the inside edge coming out of bend 2 which either gives the momentum to pass inside or outside along the back straight or to get you into position for a big push around what is the Ludvig Lindgren outside line on 3 and 4 which as stated is the outside line I was referring to and has been sadly under used since Ludde left. Clegg; Mountain and Roynon all went out wide and made passes on this outside line on 3 and 4 in this meeting and it was good to see for a change!!! and again I somewhat agree with your analogy about the Wright/Clegg pairing as James tends to like to hug the kerb line and Max will go out wide and it could be a good pairing in the making for Newcastle; Connor and Adam tend to drift all over the track and go for it to a certain extent full on the throttle; Ben Barker tends to have a bit more control and thinks more as to what his passing options are and tries to choose the places where he will try and attack for a pass; Matty when fit is another who prefers to sit on the inside line and Archie as a young kid is still finding his preferred track racing preferences and his feet to a certain extent at this level; there was passing in this meeting and it was an entertaining event and everyone will have a different perspective and view on the racing and what did or did not happen and I fully accept you last statement that it is very difficult to pass at Brough not withstanding the long and thin straights however the home fans know what and where certain riders will try things and that's where I suppose the home track advantage starts to develop... it may be perceived from away fans and away riders that there is only one line around Brough however that could not be further from the truth and once the little nuances are learnt on how to tackle the technical nature of the track (trickiness) then the rest is as they say  "is mere bagatelle"

For me I thought it was a good meeting with close competitive racing and not every race had a classic passing move however there was some good racing to watch and I was very encouraged with the performance of the whole team although I would add that I thought the first meeting of the season against Edinburgh was also a very good meeting to watch however the result was the the wrong way around for a Diamonds fan... 

It is what it is and I accept what you are saying and agree to some of it... but this is what is good about the sport and the differing opinions on what has been witnessed on the track during the days racing...

Regards
THJ

• Like 3