British Speedway Forum
GiveusaB

Birmingham v Scunthorpe 4/5/22

On 5/5/2022 at 9:10 PM, szkocjasid said:

I think LR clearly made the wrong decision not giving Shanes an extra ride. If he really wanted to give Pearson 4 rides, he still could have put Shanes in heat 12 & said to Pearson "if we have win the match before heat 14, I'll give you your 4th ride". 

Unnecessary risk in my view leaving Pearson in heat 12 & none of the comments supporting it have changed my mind!

On 5/5/2022 at 10:53 PM, Wow68 said:

Proved not be a risk at all because we won.

The outcome doesn't change the risk. I could run across the motorway blindfolded, if I made it to the other side, would you say there was no risk, over the top example I know.

I agree it didn't cost Birmingham, but was a risk.

8 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

The outcome doesn't change the risk. I could run across the motorway blindfolded, if I made it to the other side, would you say there was no risk, over the top example I know.

I agree it didn't cost Birmingham, but was a risk.

We can agree to disagree.

I didn't think there was a serious risk of Birmingham letting this match slip away, the only risk probably being that Laurence would have been pilloried on this forum if things had gone awry, .and in my opinion, most Birmingham supporters were happy to see James given his fourth ride, given the level of entertainment he had provided in his previous rides.

Undoubtedly, James deserved more than a single point for his efforts but was unfortunate in having to meet Simon Lambert in all four of his races. I'm not suggesting that Lambert did anything wrong - he didn't - but he is a big, powerful bloke and a lightweight like James inevitably found himself shunted out of the way despite his sharp gating and his willingness to get in amongst the pack. Not that he was complaining for I noticed that he and Lambert shook hands with each other warmly in the pits at the end of the meeting.

As for the rather sneering comment that he "isn't a Birmingham asset" - well it is common knowledge that he is on loan from Belle Vue, but it is likely to be 3/4 years before he is ready to move up  to Premiership level and as he gets on well with the Birmingham consortium and is extremely popular with the supporters, I see no reason why he wouldn't want to remain with the Brummies until Belle Vue eventually recall him, and in any case, how many British clubs in all three divisions track a team of their own riders? Not one of them does or it seems, is ever likely to do given the way that speedway has gone over the last few years..

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, brianbuck said:

I didn't think there was a serious risk of Birmingham letting this match slip away, the only risk probably being that Laurence would have been pilloried on this forum if things had gone awry, .and in my opinion, most Birmingham supporters were happy to see James given his fourth ride, given the level of entertainment he had provided in his previous rides.

Undoubtedly, James deserved more than a single point for his efforts but was unfortunate in having to meet Simon Lambert in all four of his races. I'm not suggesting that Lambert did anything wrong - he didn't - but he is a big, powerful bloke and a lightweight like James inevitably found himself shunted out of the way despite his sharp gating and his willingness to get in amongst the pack. Not that he was complaining for I noticed that he and Lambert shook hands with each other warmly in the pits at the end of the meeting.

As for the rather sneering comment that he "isn't a Birmingham asset" - well it is common knowledge that he is on loan from Belle Vue, but it is likely to be 3/4 years before he is ready to move up  to Premiership level and as he gets on well with the Birmingham consortium and is extremely popular with the supporters, I see no reason why he wouldn't want to remain with the Brummies until Belle Vue eventually recall him, and in any case, how many British clubs in all three divisions track a team of their own riders? Not one of them does or it seems, is ever likely to do given the way that speedway has gone over the last few years..

There was absolutely nothing sneering about the comment just pointing out a fact in speedway as in life money talks. We brought in rusty Harrison on a 9.00 average, got his new average of about 4.5 and guess what? Off he went to Workington for more money. 

On 5/4/2022 at 1:39 PM, GiveusaB said:

It's hammering down here too....I'm in between Tamworth and PB atm...

It's difficult to 2nd guess wot the club will do, especially with Scunthorpe being a fair distance....

Almost a local derby with so few tracks now!

On 5/4/2022 at 9:09 PM, GiveusaB said:

Why oh why wasn't Shanes given an extra ride over Pearson?  Nearly threw all the points away.... poor management tactics.

On 5/4/2022 at 9:42 PM, Fozzie4388 said:

I've always thought Dave Peer was an awful team manager but he's got nothing on Laurence Rogers

On 5/4/2022 at 9:43 PM, GiveusaB said:

Absolutely! Shocking tonight!

On 5/4/2022 at 9:58 PM, GiveusaB said:

Mr or Mrs :rofl:

Seriously.... if we've got a committed consortium, then we need a professional Team Manager.... I can't fault LRs enthusiasm, but he's clueless .... 

On 5/4/2022 at 10:04 PM, *JJ said:

Nonsense. There was no need whatsoever to make changes; there was no chance at all that Scunthorpe would win. Douglas was brilliant - he scored half of Scunny's points single handed - but the rest were very ordinary.

As for James Pearson: he seemed to be using a Gerhardt engine, which was too slow, even though he was making the starts.

On 5/4/2022 at 10:09 PM, GiveusaB said:

Rubbish... we were 2 points away from Scunthorpe taking a point? Crap management tactics !

Shanes should've taken one of Pearsons rides! It's a no brainer! 

You avent got a clue!

On 5/4/2022 at 10:57 PM, the hobbit said:

Sorry JJ but I have to strongly disagree. You must have been the only Brummies fan not expecting to see Shanes replace Pearson in his last ride. Pearson had done nothing wrong but, lambert had already beaten him three times. Shane’s had easily won the reserves race against lambert snd was riding really well.
Rogers has to be the most inept team manager we have ever had. Not only did he nearly cost us the points.  ( not for the  first time either), but he almost handed Scunthorpe a league point. 
I travelled to Plymouth last season snd Rogers cost us the league win there. Another case of not making the right changes at the right times !!!  Yet again all the fans, including the Plymouth ones, were gobsmacked when  hd didn’t take Morris out  of heat 14, costing us a 5-1 and, the meeting He is totally inept as a team manager. 
Can’t  fault the work  Rogers does off the track but he has no idea about team tactics, pairings or rider changes during meetings . 

Watching the match in BSN now, I certainly would have used Shanes in heat 12, it looks obvious Pearson is gonna run a last against Palin & Lambert!