British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, proud panther said:

Even with 800 fans, you need to take the children & a lot of adults out of the equation when it comes to putting £1000 into the Newcastle fund.

'IF' there was a crowd of 800 fans regularly, (including children),,, things may have panned out differently?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gaz said:

I also think although allegedly there was only 350 for Leicester, even though we were getting hammered there was still 550-700 for other matches with Glasgow, Redcar and Berwick bringing quite a few down. 
The crowds this season didn’t seem any worse than previous seasons really.

If you had a view of the crowd from the back straight, you might've thought differently. Lots more grey on show and, am not talking about hair, just concrete. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ruffdiamond said:

'IF' there was a crowd of 800 fans regularly, (including children),,, things may have panned out differently?

Agree, I was making reference to trying to find enough people to fund Newcastle opening again. 

The main problem apart from getting enough people to fund the revival is getting an attractive

competitive team that will win matches at home, all this will cost more money to pay the better

riders.

This last year most people were not impressed with the overall strength of the team and when

you have your number one rider not being available after the first few matches, the weakness of the

team clearly showed up as time went on and the crowds slowly drifted away.until it was obvious

it couldn't continue.

Edited by scampispeedway
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, scampispeedway said:

The main problem apart from getting enough people to fund the revival is getting an attractive

competitive team that will win matches at home, all this will cost more money to pay the better

riders.

This last year most people were not impressed with the overall strength of the team and when

you have your number one rider not being available after the first few matches, the weakness of the

team clearly showed up as time went on and the crowds slowly drifted away.until it was obvious

it couldn't continue.

Do you think he would of ever made a number 1 as the twice I seen him  he looked more like a 3rd string and that is being nice.

I thought grant would of binned it after the Glasgow fiasco rather than sort the track out and that was to no one’s benefit either.

Edited by soupy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, soupy said:

Do you think he would of ever made a number 1 as the twice I seen him  he looked more like a 3rd string and that is being nice.

I thought grant would of binned it after the Glasgow fiasco rather than sort the track out and that was to no one’s benefit either.

Just another waste of time and resources? ;)

Edited by ruffdiamond

Soupy, I agree entirely with you, it was obvious to most people Newcastle needed a genuine number 1

rider rather than using guests using BWD high average, this situation was not sustainable and if a new rider

could not be obtained then that was the time to call it a day. 

55 minutes ago, scampispeedway said:

Soupy, I agree entirely with you, it was obvious to most people Newcastle needed a genuine number 1

rider rather than using guests using BWD high average, this situation was not sustainable and if a new rider

could not be obtained then that was the time to call it a day. 

Once upon a time, it would've been an honour to be a 'Diamonds' no.1,,, things change. For whatever reason?

RuffDiamond, unfortunately in the days when we strong i.e. Ian Thomas's era, we were lucky to get a loyal rider

like Tom Owen and we were proud to call ourselves Tom Owen's Black and White Army.

Today Teams have make changes every year due to averages and so how can they expect  fans to call it their

team as some Riders do not belong to you and may ride against you in the future

Sadly the days of watching a rider start out as a novice and then develop into a second string then heat leader

before he has to leave either because his home club cannot fit him in or his home club want him, have long since

gone..

On 11/11/2022 at 6:01 PM, scampispeedway said:

RuffDiamond, unfortunately in the days when we strong i.e. Ian Thomas's era, we were lucky to get a loyal rider

like Tom Owen and we were proud to call ourselves Tom Owen's Black and White Army.

Today Teams have make changes every year due to averages and so how can they expect  fans to call it their

team as some Riders do not belong to you and may ride against you in the future

Sadly the days of watching a rider start out as a novice and then develop into a second string then heat leader

before he has to leave either because his home club cannot fit him in or his home club want him, have long since

gone..

I think the averages are used as an excuse when a club wants to drop a rider. If Glasgow really wanted to they could have kept Connor Bailey.

On 11/10/2022 at 8:27 PM, ruffdiamond said:

Once upon a time, it would've been an honour to be a 'Diamonds' no.1,,, things change. For whatever reason?

Arguably only the real elite riders (GP level or thereabouts) care about the sport side and success now. For the rest it’s a job, hence all the doubling up. Good for riders and bad for fans. It just so happens that they do their job riding a motorbike in circles in front of ever decreasing fan numbers. 

szkocjasid, for information, a few years ago when Newcastle were strong, it was passed at the AGM

of the Promoters that the Overall Team Rider Average could not exceed 50 pts, Ian Thomas didn't like this

but it was passed by the majority.

Ian found a way round this limit by using Riders who either had not ridden in our league for many years and

were assessed at 7.5, or had been injured the previous season, after this the promoters lowered the limit to

45 and this has now been lowered many times as each year passes.

The main reason was they could not afford or get the better riders but were quite happy to have a bumper

crowd when Newcastle were the visitors and hoped that their team would win.

Edited by scampispeedway

2 hours ago, scampispeedway said:

szkocjasid, for information, a few years ago when Newcastle were strong, it was passed at the AGM

of the Promoters that the Overall Team Rider Average could not exceed 50 pts, Ian Thomas didn't like this

but it was passed by the majority.

Ian found a way round this limit by using Riders who either had not ridden in our league for many years and

were assessed at 7.5, or had been injured the previous season, after this the promoters lowered the limit to

45 and this has now been lowered many times as each year passes.

The main reason was they could not afford or get the better riders but were quite happy to have a bumper

crowd when Newcastle were the visitors and hoped that their team would win.

Sadly this year we won't be present at the AGM 

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, Justgotmecpc said:

Sadly this year we won't be present at the AGM 

That’s a disgrace, why not?

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Diamondboy said:

That’s a disgrace, why not?

Unless our former owner has managed to get an engine & gearbox for his food van he won't be able to go to the AGM & sell food & drink so we won't be represented 

Edited by Justgotmecpc
  • Haha 4