British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Splatty

Who's going to Prague?

Asked the gf months ago if she wanted to go for a weekend in Prague - it was only when I came up with some specific dates that she started getting suspicious but by that time it was too late - she'd already said yes! :D:D

So we've got all of the weekend sorted except for where we are ending up after the meeting - is there anywhere where everyone's going?

Anyone else in the first bend stand?

im in the b standbut not sure where ill end up after the meeting.u going to the (if theres one) practice.

Guest JY2003

Im going and to the practice....it starts at 3pm...what day are you all flying out??We are flying out next Thursday....do not know which hotel we are in...we are going with British Airways...we are getting the GP tickets when we arrive at the Stadium on Saturday...we will probably be based on the third bend overlooking the pits :):D ....Cant wait...Were staying at the Ibis Hotel.....where ever that is....i do not know :oops:

Edited by JY2003

Heading out to Prague first thing Saturday morning.

Only sure things so far is the hotel (Pyramida), seats on the straight toward the first bend and that we'll be drinking on the grass outside the bar just behind the main stand (still outside the stadium) for a while before the meeting. You get to soak up the atmosphere as all the crowds wander by as well as drinking lovely cheap Czech beer and (hopefully) catching some rays.

After the meeting 2 years ago we went back to the Pyramida for a short while before heading into town. I can see that happening again.

Rico :rolleyes:

Edited by Rico

We're at the Olympic but no idea what we're doing after the GP. See what mood we're in and what takes our fancy!

We head out next Thursday afternoon. Never been to Prague before so haven't got a clue where we will be or where we are going!

Hoping to get "adopted" by some Polish fans though, they seem to know how to enjoy themselves. :D

we re ng thursday afternoon as well,your right the polish fans do no how to celabrate,go to the practice the day before and see how many are camping next to the stadium.beer is cheeper that day as well.they dont serve any spirits on race day,only beers.

Guest JY2003

What time is everyones flight? What airline and what airport are you flying from? Ours is on Thursday, i think its 3pm with British Airways from Heathrow :D

hi jy,yep mine is the same flight,you ve got red amd white stripes in your hair correct ? ill be in the bar about 1 ish for a few halfs.( ill be the ugly one with the eastbourne t-shirt)

Guest JY2003
:o:shock: Stalker on the loose....haha! Only joking! How do you know that ive got red and blonde(White)streakes in my hair?? ;) We could be on the same flight then... :)

Hi, Next Saturday is going to be my first GP so looking forward to it a lot... can anyone help me with directions for getting to the marketa stadium from the city centre (wenceles square)? Would prefer to use trams rather than taxis... also I read somewhere that there's a good chance to bump into the riders in Prague, any idea where they stay / party after the meeting? ... wouldn't mind gatecrashing Loramski's victory celebrations !!! Thanks.

This was writtne by Peter Ballinger last year, very helpful :

Arrival in Prague Airport

Upon clearing passport control, you will pass through some automatic frosted glass doors, leading you into the Entrance to the Airport.

To your left will be an automatic money exchange machine, to your right some stairs leading upwards. Infront, and to the right are car rental desks, public information desks, etc. It is from the public information desks that you can purchase 3 day (or even 5 day) public transport passes.

These give you access to buses, trams, and underground, and in 2002 they cost about 200 Kc for 3 days.

Exit the building via the front exit, and go straight ahead over 2 or 3 zebra crossings, following the signs for the 119 Bus.

After 100 yards or so, the roads conclude with a standard road, from where you can pick up the 119 Bus.

The 119 Bus runs from the airport to the underground stop at “Dejvicka”, and only to “Dejvicka”, i.e. it is the Airport Shuttle.

Once aboard the bus, stamp your 3 day passes in the on board ticket machines. This validates your tickets, and the 3 day period starts from the moment you stamp your tickets.

Dejvicka is where you can pick up the Underground (Green Line – Line A), and is about 3-4 miles journey on the bus from the airport. It takes about 15-20 minutes.

Just get off when everyone gets off. The bus goes no further than Dejvicka, apart from back to the Airport.

Being foreign, the bus will be on the correct side of the road for the Underground station.

Go into Dejvicka Station, watch out for the fast escalators as they are easy to fall down after a tiring journey especially when you are loaded up with cases. (There speaks the voice of experience )

Once in Dejvicka station, continue down to the platforms, the train will only be going in one direction from Dejvicka, and indeed arriving from one direction, as Dejvicka is the first stop on the line.

You will not need to stamp your tickets again at any time whilst in Prague, just look after them, and if a ordinary looking bloke (ie. No uniform) approaches you and shows you a “Sherrifs” Badge, he will be a ticket inspector, just show him your ticket and you’ll be OK.

Travel on the Underground from Dejvicka all the way through to the most appropriate station to your hotel / accomodation.

NB : I’d suggest either Mustek or Muzuem as both are reasonably close to Wencelas Square.

Getting to Stadion Marketa

My suggestion is that you take the Underground to Malostranska station (Green line).

Exit Malostranska station to street level, where you can pick up the No.22 tram towards Bila Hora which will take you up to the area of Prague called “Brevnov”. This is where the Speedway is.

The tram lines run in the middle of the road, accordingly the tram stops are in the middle also

You will need the No.22 that is going uphill, rather than the one going downhill back into town.

Once on the No.22, watch for the stops on the onboard displays, and the maps that are in the carriages. There are around 20 stops beofre you'll need to get off, but its a nice route up past the Castle. You need to get off at the stop "Vypich", rather than "Brevnov". You will see the stadium up on the hill from Brevnov, but Vypich is closer to the Stadion Marketa.

superb Rob

thanks

well i'll be looking out for red and white streaked hair and an eastbourne t shirt then! I'll probably be wearing my Rye House Speedway jacket and a suitably stupid sport tourists Union Jack hat or something - with an inane drunken grin ;)