British Speedway Forum

2 minutes ago, Beowulf said:

To build a stadium from scratch I imagine would be beyond the resources of the current promotion, and there is absolutely no disrespect intended with that comment. They have kept 'my team'  going since 1984 so they have my utmost respect in that regard. Also out that way would the land actually, for planning purposes, be under the control of South Staffordshire rather than Wolverhampton council ? Having said that both Wolverhmapton and  Souh Staffs have colloborated over the i54 business park. Perhaps Wolverhampton Cuncil could give some 'assistance' a la the NSS in Manchester, which of course would be controversial with voters.

Didn’t Tai say he was willing to get involved, maybe financially, who knows.

30 minutes ago, Tommy Sweetman said:

Always thought some where near the JLR plant was a possibility, nearest houses are Pendeford, but probably far enough away for noise concerns.

Coven on the other side, that could be problematic.

27 minutes ago, Pauldoveyspeedway said:

Yeah .. may be to far out 4 sum....would they get the support????.

Would you go.that far out? Don’t think it really matters to those who travel by car. Could be a problem for those who don’t though.

2 minutes ago, Call me wolfie said:

Didn’t Tai say he was willing to get involved, maybe financially, who knows.

That would be nice, but I doubt if has enough funds to invest in something with very little chance of a reasonable return. Money down the drain, which I think can be verfied by most current promoters ! As a vanity project that would be great.

14 minutes ago, Beowulf said:

To build a stadium from scratch I imagine would be beyond the resources of the current promotion, and there is absolutely no disrespect intended with that comment. They have kept 'my team'  going since 1984 so they have my utmost respect in that regard. Also out that way would the land actually, for planning purposes, be under the control of South Staffordshire rather than Wolverhampton council ? Having said that both Wolverhmapton and  Souh Staffs have colloborated over the i54 business park. Perhaps Wolverhampton Cuncil could give some 'assistance' a la the NSS in Manchester, which of course would be controversial with voters.

What I was told last night, a site looked at was between Wolves and Cannock.   Wouldn't say i54 is between those two points tbh. ..Featherstone,Cheslyn Hay,Shareshill.???

Edited by Tommy Sweetman

1 minute ago, Tommy Sweetman said:

What I was told last night, a site looked at was between Wolves and Cannock.   Wouldn't say i54 is between those to points tbh. ..Featherstone,Cheslyn Hay,Shareshill.???

Depends how you look at it. When driving to Cannock, I always go up the A449 to Gailey then the A5 so you could argue it fits the description perfectly.

19 minutes ago, Beowulf said:

That would be nice, but I doubt if has enough funds to invest in something with very little chance of a reasonable return. Money down the drain, which I think can be verfied by most current promoters ! As a vanity project that would be great.

He has plans for a little more than just a Speedway track though. Did you see the aerial shots of the GP at Malilla? Right next door is the motocross track. I think that’s where he got the idea from. 

11 minutes ago, Call me wolfie said:
15 minutes ago, Tommy Sweetman said:

What I was told last night, a site looked at was between Wolves and Cannock.   Wouldn't say i54 is between those to points tbh. ..Featherstone,Cheslyn Hay,Shareshill.???

Depends how you look at it. When driving to Cannock, I always go up the A449 to Gailey then the A5 so you could argue it fits the description perfectly.

Which ever way you look at it,to make it anywhere near viable financially, it would need to be a multi-sports arena.      Speedway alone would take years to get back any kind of return on the outlay .

1 minute ago, Tommy Sweetman said:

Which ever way you look at it,to make it anywhere near viable financially, it would need to be a multi-sports arena.      Speedway alone would take years to get back any kind of return on the outlay .

Agreed, 1 day a week summer only revenue is never going to work.

2 hours ago, Beowulf said:

This is very difficult. Out that way the connection with Wolverhampton is diluted. On the other hand, better that than nothing ?  For me, personally, this would be a massive change,  I have only lived in 2 houses, both within walking distance of Monmore Green.

Yep big changes a foot but as long as they get a new track that secures the future that's all that matters.  Belle Vue have had 3 stadiums in my lifetime, and they have all been a stone's throw from each other. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SUPERACE said:

Yep big changes a foot but as long as they get a new track that secures the future that's all that matters.  Belle Vue have had 3 stadiums in my lifetime, and they have all been a stone's throw from each other. 

Then you have been very lucky indeed.:)

10 hours ago, Beowulf said:

Then you have been very lucky indeed.:)

They have - also its worth noting that the promotion that put the NSS in place ran out of money! There was a lengthly interview in the star a while back with Chris and was it Gordon Pairman?

All the newer tracks that have survived have done so by building a track first and then a stadium / Facilities has to follow after!

Edited by GeneralMelchett

1 hour ago, GeneralMelchett said:

They have - also its worth noting that the promotion that put the NSS in place ran out of money! There was a lengthly interview in the star a while back with Chris and was it Gordon Pairman?

All the newer tracks that have survived have done so by building a track first and then a stadium / Facilities has to follow after!

And I believe  Leicester had a lot of help from the council in getting theirs up and running. Unfortunately don't think Wolverhampton council has the same drive and determination in helping us out in the same way.

Edited by Tommy Sweetman

2 hours ago, Tommy Sweetman said:

And I believe  Leicester had a lot of help from the council in getting theirs up and running. Unfortunately don't think Wolverhampton council has the same drive and determination in helping us out in the same way.

Probably bettter than Dudley council though, who have let all professional sport in the borough die through inaction.

14 hours ago, Call me wolfie said:

Agreed, 1 day a week summer only revenue is never going to work.

Speedway isn't 1 day a week now either more like every other week unless a NL side is run as well