British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MattB

Wembley 100 years

That will be very good if speedway back to Wembley, and all fans will be so happy to see it again :).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ch958 said:

2 or even 3 meetings Fri-Sun would make more sense. GP, GP2 and summat else, maybe a golden greats

Even if you could get 30-40k spectators, 2 or 3 nights in a row, would it be financially viable? 

I seem to recall hearing that Wembley costs at least 250k per day to rent (and that was a few years ago), plus it takes 10% of ticket sales. It would probably needed to be rented for a week to install and remove the circuit, and whilst it might be cheaper for set-up days, I doubt there would be much change out of a million quid. Then there would be installation costs of the track and paying the event staff, before you even got to the staging costs of the GP itself. 

Then any rain, and you could be faced with all these costs with no revenue. Insurance coverage would likely be huge. 

Would be a brave undertaking in the hope of getting maybe 50k fans at best. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Even if you could get 30-40k spectators, 2 or 3 nights in a row, would it be financially viable? 

I seem to recall hearing that Wembley costs at least 250k per day to rent (and that was a few years ago), plus it takes 10% of ticket sales. It would probably needed to be rented for a week to install and remove the circuit, and whilst it might be cheaper for set-up days, I doubt there would be much change out of a million quid. Then there would be installation costs of the track and paying the event staff, before you even got to the staging costs of the GP itself. 

Then any rain, and you could be faced with all these costs with no revenue. Insurance coverage would likely be huge. 

Would be a brave undertaking in the hope of getting maybe 50k fans at best. 

well, to answer your question - no, it wouldn't. I think the announcement was column filler. I was just suggesting that more than one meeting would make more sense. Even at Cardiff I think it would.

• Like 3

you can never recreate the past. its impossible. even if you had a time machine you haven't created it you have just gone back in time.:rofl:. just having a laugh.

• Like 1

Wembley is big staduim in London, it's time see Speedway back in Wembley lot of fans want it see happen!!!. Speedway is getting more popular with the fans.

On 5/4/2023 at 10:00 AM, iainb said:

I did indeed... 1981 World Final, fantastic day, quite a warm one if I remember correctly also remember my dad paying 50p for a can of coke... 50p in 1981 was probably as much as it cost to get into a league meeting.

A few comments... Is Wembley still Wembley? I haven't been to the new Wembley so I'm not sure. If it had kept the Twin Towers maybe but to level the place and start again I don't know. Other stadiums have been re-developed and kept their iconic structures.

Cardiff couldn't attract 20,000 last year, 20,000 in a 74,000 stadium looked bad, 20,000 in a 90,000? Not a great look.

Peter Oakes was the person that got the "story" onto the Daily Star website a nice bit of publicity for the sport but nothing more than that.

If Speedway were to return to London and that's a big if personally I'd prefer to create a new history at the London Stadium which has a smaller capacity, better transport links and infrastructure set around it.

The new London Stadium is only a stones throw from the original London Stadium which Waterden Rd the home of Hackney was renamed/redeveloped. I think the original Waterden Rd site is where the BT studios etc were sited for the Olympics.

• Like 2

Good Old Days in Wembley, i hope they coming back like did with Oxford Cheetahs!!!!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Noodles said:

I see Hampden Park is getting a roof.  

Really?? what's to do with Wembley lol