British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Your Favourite Danes (Pre-1995)

The first Dane I saw was Ole Olsen starring for Wolves in the opening meeting of the 1971 season at Hackney.

Within days I saw Preben Rosenkilde, who had low-key spells for both Hackney and West Ham in '71.

Later, we had Finn Thomsen, Bo Petersen and Jens Rasmussen at The Wick. Finn  was a class act and a good team-man - an excellent skipper always helping his team-mates and shrewd mechanically.

But I always felt that he rode within himself in league and other domestic meetings, saving his best efforts for the World Championship. Maybe that is being a bit harsh on him, but that's how it appeared to me. Perhaps the broken thigh he suffered at Wolves in 1977, the year before he joined Hawks, was in the back of his mind?

He did, though, always get fired up when competing against Billy Sanders. There was history there.

Edited by TonyMac
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TonyMac said:

The first Dane I saw was Ole Olsen starring for Wolves in the opening meeting of the 1971 season at Hackney.

Within days I saw Preben Rosenkilde, who had low-key spells for both Hackney and West Ham in '71.

Later, we had Finn Thomsen, Bo Petersen and Jens Rasmussen at The Wick. Finn  was a class act and a good team-man - an excellent skipper always helping his team-mates and shrewd mechanically.

But I always felt that he rode within himself in league and other domestic meetings, saving his best efforts for the World Championship. Maybe that is being a bit harsh on him, but that's how it appeared to me. Perhaps the broken thigh he suffered at Wolves in 1977, the year before he joined Hawks, was in the back of his mind?

He did, though, always get fired up when competing against Billy Sanders. There was history there.

Preben Rosenkilde replaced the ill-fated Svein Kaasa at Cowley on the recommendation of Garry Middleton if I recall. He didn't last that long and re-appeared briefly for Newport in 1976 if I remember?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Preben Rosenkilde replaced the ill-fated Svein Kaasa at Cowley on the recommendation of Garry Middleton if I recall. He didn't last that long and re-appeared briefly for Newport in 1976 if I remember?

https://wwosbackup.proboards.com/thread/2451/preben-rosenkilde

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1