British Speedway Forum
Phil The Ace

Belle Vue -V- Wolves day/night

9 hours ago, chun said:

i don’t think anyone outside wolverhampton will be sad to see monmore go

Now you've got that off you're chest does it make you feel big and important. 

• Like 1

2 good meetings. A great day of speedway. 

wolves might have picked up the most points but overall I say speedway was the winner. 

hope to god wolves return next season as bank holiday double headers are a great day 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Both meetings produced good racing and were enjoyable, it will be a travesty if we lose Monmore Green, i always enjoy these double headers and my trips down there.

• Like 1

the super heat

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 5/29/2023 at 9:52 PM, Gavan said:

People who think speedway should just be about opening the throttle are clueless 

Monmore is different and requires a different skill set …. Bewley looks fast but is not riding the right lines but his natural ability gets him there

There has been lots of close racing and plenty of overtaking and not just from mistakes 

Those who constantly slate Wolves track are just clowns who would rather we had no speedway I guess

Ive seen dull meetings at all tracks it happens 

Then we have people slagging off the presentation…. It’s not the best but it’s better than no speedway and I think Scott is superb … Abbie is fine and I just think Kelvin is a bit lost on his own but that shows how good Pearson actually was

Call yourself speedway fans and all you do is moan 

Couldn't agree more with every word of this post. I spent a thoroughly enjoyable day, attending the BV Wolves match at midday and then pulling in Panthers v Lions later in the evening, 2 fantastic Speedway matches! I then sat down yesterday evening to watch the Wolves v BV match while dipping into this thread to see what people were saying and I must say it was a thoroughly depressing read, everything from people slagging the Tennis off to the usual slating of the Monmore track. If you didn't enjoy that Speedway match, you don't like Speedway and I question what the hell people like that are even doing on this forum.

In  other news... I wonder if Wolves find a new piece of land, and let's all hope they do, whether they'll try and replicate the Monmore track or go for a BV style shape, or maybe even a Leicester type hybrid. The "technical" track seems to be on the decline, especially in the top league and for me it's the technical track that makes British Speedway what it is, it's what's attracted riders to the UK in the past, those that have ambition to become better Speedway riders with ambition to become World Champion came to Britain to become better technical Speedway riders.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, iainb said:

Couldn't agree more with every word of this post. I spent a thoroughly enjoyable day, attending the BV Wolves match at midday and then pulling in Panthers v Lions later in the evening, 2 fantastic Speedway matches! I then sat down yesterday evening to watch the Wolves v BV match while dipping into this thread to see what people were saying and I must say it was a thoroughly depressing read, everything from people slagging the Tennis off to the usual slating of the Monmore track. If you didn't enjoy that Speedway match, you don't like Speedway and I question what the hell people like that are even doing on this forum.

In  other news... I wonder if Wolves find a new piece of land, and let's all hope they do, whether they'll try and replicate the Monmore track or go for a BV style shape, or maybe even a Leicester type hybrid. The "technical" track seems to be on the decline, especially in the top league and for me it's the technical track that makes British Speedway what it is, it's what's attracted riders to the UK in the past, those that have ambition to become better Speedway riders with ambition to become World Champion came to Britain to become better technical Speedway riders.

If they do have to start from scratch with a new piece of land(and I know I'm going to upset some fellow Wolves fans)I'd love it to be modeled on the old Dudley Wood circuit.Wasn't a great fan of the club,but their race track was perfect,and even Peter Adams agrees. It wouldn't be based on the Monmore track,it won't then give the moaners nothing to moan about. PS....Belated happy birthday to our speedway team,95 years old yesterday. 

Edited by Tommy Sweetman
  • Like 2

On 5/29/2023 at 9:11 PM, chun said:

i don’t think anyone outside wolverhampton will be sad to see monmore go

Hope you have fun in your 5 Team Premier League next year :D

2 hours ago, Tommy Sweetman said:

If they do have to start from scratch with a new piece of land(and I know I'm going to upset some fellow Wolves fans)I'd love it to be modeled on the old Dudley Wood circuit.Wasn't a great fan of the club,but their race track was perfect,and even Peter Adams agrees. It wouldn't be based on the Monmore track,it won't then give the moaners nothing to moan about. PS....Belated happy birthday to our speedway team,95 years old yesterday. 

The best 'new build' track I saw was Somerset.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beowulf said:

The best 'new build' track I saw was Somerset.

Yes that was great,think Nigel Pearson said that was his favourite since Cradley..as long as its not a moaners track(lol) or a big boring one like the old County ground at Exeter(went to see the Westernapolis once,never been so bored).  A mid size which is quite fast and also technical is absolutely perfect.

Edited by Tommy Sweetman

57 minutes ago, Tommy Sweetman said:

Yes that was great,think Nigel Pearson said that was his favourite since Cradley..as long as its not a moaners track(lol) or a big boring one like the old County ground at Exeter(went to see the Westernapolis once,never been so bored).  A mid size which is quite fast and also technical is absolutely perfect.

I would quite like some banking, although not as much as Halifax ! I believe there is/has been an adverse camber on bends 3 and 4, which proably has been unhelpful.

As for Exeter (and Newport) George Hunter never used to turn up ! You needed guts to ride Exeter with the steel fencing. If my memeory serves me right I think we had guests John Titman and Billy Sanders in the team on one of the very few times we won there. On the Exeter theme one of the most stupid guest decisions we made was there. We booked Steve Johnstone who was riding at Glasgow on Sunday evening (6:00 pm) and the Exeter match was 11:00 am on the Monday morning  !!!!!   

Any new track would be better than Monmore!! Awful to watch 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, phillipsr said:

Any new track would be better than Monmore!! Awful to watch 

Well dont bleeding watch then simples 

• Like 2

On 5/30/2023 at 6:40 AM, Tommy Sweetman said:

Now you've got that off you're chest does it make you feel big and important. 

it’s mickey mouse speedway racing.  whilst monmore is in existence it means having to put up with it every time it’s televised.  riders getting rewarded for poodling round on the inside.  hopefully wolves can move to a new track where proper racing is possible.

Edited by chun

24 minutes ago, Wolfie456 said:

Well dont bleeding watch then simples 

it’s a poor advert for the sport and means taking airtime away from other tracks where the away team is able to challenge.  it’s my nearest premier league track now but after a handful of less than entertaining visits down the years i’ve given up going

Edited by chun
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, chun said:

it’s mickey mouse speedway racing.  whilst monmore is in existence it means having to put up with it every time it’s televised.  riders getting rewarded for poodling round on the inside.  hopefully wolves can move to a new track where proper racing is possible.

Thats not how you put it.You wanted to see another club close down just like your beloved Swindon.The same goes for Phillipsr with Coventry ,you two are out of the same pod.

• Thanks 1