British Speedway Forum
Shaleshifter

Poole Pirates Vs Glasgow Tigers Bsn Final 1st Leg 5th July

I watched this meeting as a neutral observer whilst on holiday in the area. I have seen many meetings a Wimborne Road over the past 30 years and I have been a speedway fan for over 60 years. 

Firstly, in my opinion, there is nothing wrong with the shape of the track although the racing surface could be improved. Prior to the first heat I noticed that on the first bend there was virtually no shale on the inside section  with the dirt "heaped" along the perimeter. This was probably to accommodate the home riders who prefer the track prepared in this way. There is nothing wrong with this home advantage procedure - it is the same technique at most tracks.

Secondly, the track grading appears to be inadequate. The "tiny" blade used hardly touches the track surface - a proper revolving grader should be used to eliminate any ruts. Len Silver could advise on the use of this type of grader and track preparation in general!!

A few years ago I did see the famous "hole" on the entry to the first bend which seemed to appear after a few races. I thought that this had been resolved until I saw Tom Brennan hit the hole/ridge and take off into the fence. Proper track grading should have eliminated any such ruts or waves.

It was evident after the first four heats that the away team were not using correct gearing or "set-ups" and were consistently out-gated. Apart from the machinery the Poole riders were certainly up for this contest and had a winning mentality. Overall, the performance of the away riders was disappointing. I was impressed with the tenacious riding of Lee Complin last year at Poole when he was riding for Newcastle but he seemed to be a shadow of the rider I saw last year. It did occur to me that he had some machine problems which may have contributed to his poor performance but this is only conjecture on my part.

Edited by Vic Meldrew
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, Vic Meldrew said:

I watched this meeting as a neutral observer whilst on holiday in the area. I have seen many meetings a Wimborne Road over the past 30 years and I have been a speedway fan for over 60 years. 

Firstly, in my opinion, there is nothing wrong with the shape of the track although the racing surface could be improved. Prior to the first heat I noticed that on the first bend there was virtually no shale on the inside section  with the dirt "heaped" along the perimeter. This was probably to accommodate the home riders who prefer the track prepared in this way. There is nothing wrong with this home advantage procedure - it is the same technique at most tracks.

Secondly, the track grading appears to be inadequate. The "tiny" blade used hardly touches the track surface - a proper revolving grader should be used to eliminate any ruts. Len Silver could advise on the use of this type of grader and track preparation in general!!

A few years ago I did see the famous "hole" on the entry to the first bend which seemed to appear after a few races. I thought that this had been resolved until I saw Tom Brennan hit the hole/ridge and take off into the fence. Proper track grading should have eliminated any such ruts or waves.

It was evident after the first four heats that the away team were not using correct gearing or "set-ups" and were consistently out-gated. Apart from the machinery the Poole riders were certainly up for this contest and had a winning mentality. Overall, the performance of the away riders was disappointing. I was impressed with the tenacious riding of Lee Complin last year at Poole when he was riding for Newcastle but he seemed to be a shadow of the rider I saw last year. It did occur to me that he had some machine problems which may have contributed to his poor performance but this is only conjecture on my part.

A lot of riders that have been using NEB Brown clutch plates seem to be having  a problem at the moment as there is none left in the country  or Poland or Denmark dew to lack of manufacturing products to make them  

i know Lee did used them and is now struggling to get a decent set up with trying others plates only the riders that stocked up at the start of the season will have them, a few rider i know have changed to red ones and seem to struggle to get it pull the way they want too out the starts as the compound is totally different riders never really change there clutch set up as it’s hard to get it the same with different colour 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Vic Meldrew said:

It was evident after the first four heats that the away team were not using correct gearing or "set-ups" and were consistently out-gated. 

Based on page 22 of this week's star, the track had been modified from what had it had been during the start of this season which may have  caught the Glasgow riders out.

"We did some work on the track for our benefit and the starts were perfect for us."

"We hadn't been happy with the starts,we hadn't been making starts ourselves. We have been playing catch up early doors in the season."

"We had a good chat with Terry our track curator, and he listened to the boys. Now we have the starts how we want them."

So hopefully the next team wanting to try and keep it close at Wimborne road had better take a civil engineer or geologist with them, to see what traction is available off the starting line

21 hours ago, Vic Meldrew said:

I don’t believe it

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Had a chat with Chris Harris at marmande thursday and he said there was nothing wrong with the track,Poole we’re far better out the starts and wanted it more,he  also said that he wouldn’t expect Poole to prepare a track that he could blast round the outside!

• Like 3

On 7/14/2023 at 7:24 PM, Vic Meldrew said:

Firstly you cannot NEVER put shale on the {entrance} inside of any bend , for obvious reasons. Secondly a wonder wheel wouldn't work at Poole, although Terry thinks it would work , thirdly the blade on the back of the tractor has just been re cut and it was out at the  bolt end by a few inches which doesn't help when blading the track . Fourthly, when its bladed properly the levels are so much better and i would assume it would ride better. fithly  you didn't mention the difference our track has between Spring Summer and  Autumn . sixthly you do not need a massive amount of dirt on our track,  bikes cannot take it nowadays, {some might argue that}.  you may have been a  "fan" of some 60 years but i wouldn't want you as our track curator.
Terry and Garath do a good job with what they have at there disposal . This is British speedway, not Poland.
As for your bottom paragrapgh , we want to win everything.

Edited by Starman2006

4 hours ago, Starman2006 said:

but i wouldn't want you as our track curator.

I would not want the job either.

Thank you for your explanations - you obviously know the Poole track better than I do. I was only giving my opinion on the track conditions as I saw them on that night. The rotating grader may be worth a try sometime subject to financial constraints. 

• Like 1