British Speedway Forum
eide67

Edinburgh v Scunthorpe Champ Play-offs Saturday 23rd Sept 7pm

12 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Paco is your typical slick track rider,has too wait till dirt has moved out then he can toddle round the inside too some points.He is the same every meeting.

Appreciate that and know it’s generally true, but I’m sure he rode the outside in his last 2 rides and did he not take Kemp from the outside in 14? Can’t recall (someone watching back can maybe correct me). If so, just highlights the inconsistency!! 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

I can't understand why Wood has a Champ team spot, as there MUST be stronger British riders out there.

I often get told, they are not willing to travel up, but unless the club posts a list of riders, who were unwilling to sign for them, have to blame them for not signing someone stronger!

Here are some comments that might be relevant to this discussion.

1.       In considering a rider I believe the factors Edinburgh would take into account are: Quality, Cost, Availability. Nationality would not be considered.

2.       Danny Phillips and Greg Blair were mentioned as possible alternatives to Dayle Wood. Meaning no disrespect, I would back Dayle to beat either of them currently at Armadale.

3.       In my opinion we have not tried hard enough to replace Dayle and we have done him no favours by asking him to step into that role before he is ready. He is a good, entertaining NDL standard rider who has improved over the season.

4.       HOWEVER it is not easy to find a really good replacement. We tried right up to the signing cutoff to bring Luke Killeen into our 1-7 but he preferred to remain a guest only. I think he was mistaken and has therefore had fewer bookings than he might have had.

5.       Anyone else we might have asked, such as Sam Hagon, Max Perry or Max James, may or may not have wanted the job but possibly might have cost quite a bit, ridden better but not scored much more, and would be very unlikely to become an Edinburgh rider. Geography is always a problem for us.

• Like 3

One thought about riders not wanting to travel up to Edinburgh (for whatever reason) in theory every NL heat leader should want to step up to the Champ next year, but there won't be that many places available, if riders only want to race for local clubs, they may miss out on a Champ team spot.

• Like 1

Firstly, congratulations to Scunthorpe

As for us….. I don’t think I have ever endured such a frustrating season. Unlike some, I felt we had a good young team that were ripe to kick on this year but our wheels came off at Berwick when Josh crashed out. Without our leader and showman extraordinaire we were sunk that early.

They are a bunch of nice guys but personality doesn’t win meetings. I am a great believer that a winning team has to have great reserves.

Josh is the only one I would keep (supposing he wants to come back?) but as always happens, the others will probably come back to bite us.

Speedway eh?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, GM95 said:

Sounds like a great idea, let’s publicly out any rider that refuses to sign for us. I’m sure the rider we end up with will feel brilliant knowing he was 3rd/4th choice. Muppet

Dayle isn’t the issue… yes he’s not CL level but the way the team was built at the start of the season is the issue. We were loyal to riders that showed signs of improving but have let us down. We have had a horrific season with injuries and Cook’s has had his personal issues but it’s still no excuse for how poor we’ve been at home. Big changes needed for next season, possibly only Lasse / Paco back.

Edinburgh should not take Lasse and Paco back next season, Paco is too often away and will always be a 5-point rider who only turns up for heat 14 and Lasse's confidence looks shot to pieces since his injury. Josh, Kye and Bastian are the only riders that should be in the minds of the promotion going into next season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nickinho said:

Edinburgh should not take Lasse and Paco back next season, Paco is too often away and will always be a 5-point rider who only turns up for heat 14 and Lasse's confidence looks shot to pieces since his injury. Josh, Kye and Bastian are the only riders that should be in the minds of the promotion going into next season. 

Logically, you are spot on re Paco. A classic ‘heart says yes, head says no’ for many fans, I suspect. 

Out of interest, what would be your rationale for taking Kye and Bastian back? 

Edited by Macca

Don't think Borke has shown enough to warrant being brought back 

2 decent meetings away from home isn't it? 

• Like 3

Assuming the requirements don’t change for next year, Lasse has one of the best average discrepancies in the league. His 2023 average is about 0.7 above his rolling average, so if there’s any hope he can match his 2023 average next year, he’s good value. He does seem to always be injured though. I’m not actually 100% I’ve ever seen him race at Armadale come to think of it! Which is probably why I’ve only just noticed his home average is quite weak…

• Like 2