British Speedway Forum

On 11/30/2023 at 2:12 PM, Come on the Skipper said:

Will there be enough riders of sufficient quality to fill the 6 teams? An older more experienced pair of hands who has achieved an average of 4 or over in the championship would be beneficial to the less experienced riders, would they not? Sings has already identified 10 riders from this years teams who are no longer allowed to ride. 

I'm not sure if there will be enough quality, but I'm sure they'll find enough riders who want to race, just hope they can all turn the bikes safely etc. i.e the NDL shouldn't be the level where you learn to slide etc.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2023 at 11:17 AM, Sings4Speedway said:

Quick scan of this years riders who have achieved over 4 at some point in the CL in the past couple of seasons and therefore not eligible (in my interpretation of the ruling) ......

Clegg
Bowtell
Morley
D Thompson
J Thompson
Bailey
Atkins
Jenkins
Complin
Roynon

I always got the impression they are talking about season ending averages, so assuming Joe T has never finished above 4.00 he could still race NL.

One thing they have done is truly turn the NDL into a league for second teams of senior sides. Partly that's been happening anyway, as if you have 2 stand alone clubs wanting 12 home fixtures & 6 second teams wanting 6 home fixtures, what can you do? Have to go with the majority.

The downside of this is the third tier has been a way for clubs to start at a lower financial level before stepping up to the Champ, off the top of my head Berwick, Birmingham, Eastbourne, Kent, Lakeside, Plymouth, Rye House, Scunthorpe, Somerset & Workington have either started at National / Conference etc or dropped down before stepping back up, this option will be less likely in the future, as it would cost a lot to build a stadium for 5 home meetings a year.

Edited by szkocjasid

20 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

I always got the impression they are talking about season ending averages, so assuming Joe T has never finished above 4.00 he could still race NL.

That must be the case as J Thompson is quoted as being Leicester NDL captain. Easy money for a season i guess, also looks like riding in all 3 leagues is allowed (or is it 2 leagues as the NDL really doesn't count to those in charge)