British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Yearbyred

Redcar v Newcastle Select 29/03/24

First match of the season for Redcar. First and last match of the season for Newcastle.

Strong looking Newcastle line up, think it’s over the points limit but we will let them off (this time) which should be a tough test for the Bears.

Bears have as good a top 2 as any in the league but will need the other 5 to up their game this year to be one of the top teams. All of them are capable of winning races but whether they can do it consistently is the question. The Bailey/Knudsen partnership looks to be critical to me.

Hopefully see a decent crowd and a few Newcastle supporters making the trip. Forecast looks ok for tomorrow.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ch958 said:

I think Knudsen could make our season

More likely break it, if his spells at Berwick are any indicator.

However he is still young and always seems to perform handily on the continent so maybe this will be the season it clicks for him in Britain.

Edited by Hamster00

1 hour ago, ch958 said:

I think Knudsen could make our season

It'll take a lot of improvement from the bottom 5 to get Redcar into the play-offs imo. They certainly have potential, can they realise it?

Good fixture to start with before the serious stuff starts.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

It'll take a lot of improvement from the bottom 5 to get Redcar into the play-offs imo. They certainly have potential, can they realise it?

Think that’s fair. 

The bottom 5 all have plenty of potential and for the Bears to be near the top they all need to up their averages.

4 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

As far as some fans are concerned, this is the serious stuff!!!! :D !!

13 minutes ago, StevePark said:

As far as some fans are concerned, this is the serious stuff!!!! :D !!

As a fan I just wanna see good racing & if applicable my team win, never bothered me if it was a play-off final (don't agree with them) or a challenge match. But I realise based on crowd levels not many feel that way.

Well it’s a bright sunny day here on Teesside, the wind is starting to pick-up a little. There is the possibility of intermittent showers later today, could hit the arena, could miss the arena, who knows, (who’d be a track curator on a day like today) either way, I’m looking forward to seeing tonight’s match. Hope all rider have a safe, injury free night.

Tonight's teams:-

REDCAR: Danny King, Jason Edwards, Connor Bailey, Jonas Knudsen, Charles Wright, Jake Mulford, Ben Trigger.
NEWCASTLE SELECT: Steve Worrall, Alfie Bowtell, Ben Barker, Paul Starke, Lewis Kerr, Max Clegg, Danny Phillips.

Well that turned out to be an interesting night. 
I left home ( about 10 mins from the track) at about 6.30. It had been a glorious day, none of the predicted showers had appeared thus far. A minute or so into the journey, the rain started to spot on the windscreen. Looking at the sky, most of it was clear, but off to the south the sky looked black and was slowly approaching. Within seconds it was torrential, ever the optimist, I continued on, there was always the chance the rain could miss, and sure enough by the time I passed the Riverside stadium I was in clear skies and the road was bone dry, although off to the right there was a clear dividing line between clear sky and torrential rain.

As I got nearer to the Ecco arena, I started to see all the cars parked on the main road, and then I realised it was a Bank holiday weekend. Fridays on a bank holiday weekend. can be chaotic, especially if there are other events taking place at Moto X or Kart tracks as well. With yesterday also being a bank holiday as , it was even worse, most of the car park was taken up by large vans & motor homes etc. Being of limited mobility, parking on the main road is not an option, so I made my way to the car park entrance, and was informed that parking was limited, but there might be an odd space.

I made my way through the car park just as the rain was reaching the arena, by the time I found a parking spot the rain had got heavier. Not wishing to get wet I decided to wait in the car in the hope the rain would pass over quickly. It didn’t pass over quickly, it got worse. I could see that everyone in the stadium had made their way to any available cover. I sat in the car waiting more in hope than anything else. Eventually, it dawned on me, the chances of the meeting taking place was fast diminishing so I decided to cut my losses and go home. When I got home just after 7.30 I checked the updates site to see the meeting start had been put back to 8.00pm, followed by a further update a few minutes later to say the meeting was Off. Decision vindicated.

Normally, when I go to the Speedway, the wife and daughter settle down and watch a movie, so yesterday I had the double whammy of not getting to meet up with two friends who only get to Redcar a few times a year, and having to put up watching the last hour of a s*** movie called Black Adam, so not a “Good” Friday for me.

The trials and tribulations of being a speedway fan, eh. but I still love the sport.

• Like 4