British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Donsking

Hello, Good Evening And Has Anyone Got The Pip?

Guest Donsking

Hi everybody, I'm a brand new member looking to reignite the flame of Speedway fandom!

I started by being brought up by parents who were frequent visitors to New Cross who then, faced with a speed mad nipper, decided it might be a good idea to take me to Plough Lane one week in about 1970; bad move really, cos I made them take me every week for years after (hence my user name!).

Anyway, in my vague memory, in around 1973 Wimbledon had a rider (normally a reserve) who it seemed never failed to entertain, usually by being a bit poor!

Tape breaking, falling off in spectacular fashion, flipping at the start, all were within this man's repertoire of goofs.

I'm hoping that someone here will be able to tell me that he shook off his heavy mantle of tomfoolery and went on to be a legend in his own lunchtime, or, at the very least, he did actually make a career for himself in the sport.

Pip Austin he was called, and I'd love to know more about him!

So, thanks in advance to anyone who can tell me the story of Pip, the missing years!!!! :lol:

Pip Austen rode 23 matches for Long Eaton in Division 2 during 1974.

Averaged 3.63 with a top league score of 5.

No idea what happened to him after that, but he didn't ride any more league matches for anyone.

Guest Donsking
Pip Austen rode 23 matches for Long Eaton in Division 2 during 1974.

Averaged 3.63 with a top league score of 5.

No idea what happened to him after that, but he didn't ride any more league matches for anyone.

Blimey, that was quick!

Thanks Frigbo, watch out for more inane questions as I attempt to catch up with 25 years of missed stuff......

Believe Pip lives on the Isle of Sheppey and has been seen watching meetings / practice fairly freqently at Iwade - whoops, sorry Sittingbourne as it's now called.

Bryn

Guest Donsking
Believe Pip lives on the Isle of Sheppey and has been seen watching meetings / practice fairly freqently at Iwade - whoops, sorry Sittingbourne as it's now called.

Bryn

Do I dare seek him out after what I've said about him :oops: