-
Posts
24,276 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
29
Everything posted by chunky
-
Of course, and when we were arguing about Lee before, I myself stated that while I wouldn't place him above Collins, Woffinden, or Craven as far as "best" British rider, he was perhaps the most talented and potential-laden rider in the history of speedway. Unfortunately, some people can't differentiate between "best" and "most-talented", and the sad thing is that most of the really talented youngsters don't get anywhere near fulfilling their potential. That's not just a speedway thing, either.
-
I get what you're saying, but should we base World Championships on league averages? Again, I would personally have gone for Michelsen over Lindback, but that doesn't mean that I clearly believe that Michelsen is one of the top 15 riders in the world, or that Lindback isn't. Of course, it's all conjecture, but would Drabik or Michelsen have finished higher in the GP standings this year? Personally, I don't think so, which means that you can't really argue against Lindback's inclusion for 2020. Again, it shouldn't just come down to league averages. Three of the absolute best (highest averages) and most consistent riders in the then-strongest league in the world were the Boococks and Ray Wilson - and between them, how many times did they mount a serious challenge for even a rostrum place, let alone a World title? Taking Eric Boocock, a consistent 10.5/11.00 average rider in the BL over a prolonged period of time, and most of the time, he struggled to reach the latter stages of the World Championship. League averages can be used as PART of the ranking process, but really can't be used as a true reflection of world class.
-
Nah, if somebody is out of action for more than a month or so, just forget about them, they're done...
-
If only it were that simple... Speedway has NEVER been like that, despite what our memories seem to tell us. Problem is that everybody appears to see different things. There have been a couple of dire ones this year, and there have been some poor-to-average ones. However, while quite a few of us felt that meetings like Vojens and Cardiff weren't great, but were still enjoyable, others felt they were the worst things they had ever seen. Wroclaw was special, but if every meeting was like that, it wouldn't be special. And people would find something else to whine about...
-
That's what I thought...
-
Do you have any compelling evidence to the contrary?
-
You got that right... Nobody who saw Wroclaw could fail to get a buzz...
-
Firstly, Vaculik doesn't belong in this conversation; he is better than the others mentioned, and he finished fifth - comfortably. Lambert's performances tailed off after the injuries. I'm not saying he was top eight material, but he would have been much more competitive overall. I don't know too much about Drabik, and haven't seen that much of him, but I don't feel that Smektala is better than Lambert.
-
Thinking about it, my personal list would be almost identical, just switching Craven and Woffy.
-
Cant say I disagree with you, but that isn't the fault of the riders involved; qualification opportunities are there, but if nobody new is able to step up and qualify, then what can you do? The problem is that there are a small group of riders who (and this may sound harsh) aren't good enough to consistently challenge the elite. However, there is nobody out there better than them, so they usually re-qualify, or get the wildcards because there is nobody ready to take their place.
-
Quite honestly, I didn't either. It was only after looking at some of the alternatives I realised that he was even a contender. For some reason, there is quite a gulf between levels at the moment...
-
It's funny, looking at some of the comments on these threads (not just this particular one)... Some don't want Hancock because he's old. Some don't want Hancock because he's "boring". Some don't want Lindback because he's "never finished higher than seventh". Some don't want Iversen and Zagar because "they don't add anything". Some don't want Laguta because he is "just a gater". Some want a bunch of youngsters, just because "they are the future". The thing to remember is that this is the World Championship. Unlike the old system, the GP series is actually designed to include the best 15 riders in the world, and surely, that SHOULD be a goal of ANY world championship. World championships are designed to find the best right now, not those who will be competing ten years down the road. No, it's not going to be perfect, as nothing ever is. There will always be questions. Yes, personally, I would like to have seen Michelsen in place of Lindback, but can ANYONE state categorically that the line-up for 2020 doesn't include - or at least come damn close to including - all the best riders in the world? Steve
-
That is a fair point....
-
Just because someone doesn't ride for a year it doesn't mean they lose everything, and it doesn't reflect poorly on the others. Again, the problem for most people seems to be his age, which is actually irrelevant...
-
I don't dispute that age catches up with us, but fitness in sports these days is so different to what it was back in the day. The riders I grew up with were largely beer-swilling brutes who you rarely saw without a fag in their hand!
-
Favourite Rider and team you support favorite rider
chunky replied to johnyson66's topic in Speedway News and Discussions
That's the problem with some of the older riders, particularly from the lower divisions. I'm sure you know Stavvy, and we talk about this on Facebook; nearly every photo he posts has Pete Reading in it somewhere! He really was a part of the furniture... -
You sound like me, except you are a lot older! When I whittled down my magazines, I basically got rid of everything post-1970's. As far as progs, what I really loved was the covers. Forget high-quality photos, I thought some of the old graphics and drawings were wonderful. My fave was the old multi-colour Swindon one (really stood out from others of that era), although I was also fond of the Wimbledon leg-trailer (Billy Lamont?) of the 60's. Steve
-
I believe that Hancock is still one of the top 15 riders in the world. I am clearly not the only one, as that is the reason he has been chosen. Age is irrelevant. As I have said a couple of times, I am not a fan of Lindback, and personally, I would have gone for Michelsen. However, I can't really claim that he is "better" than Lindback.
-
I agree. As has been stated, probably because a second Swede was preferable to a third Dane... I thought that Nationality would enter into it.
-
Not according to the experts on here... This is what gets me; do we want the best riders, or do we want the future? If we want the best riders, I am sure that Greg still would still be one of those. The idea of a World Championship is surely to feature the best competitors on current form, not who will be best in five or ten years time. So, given that Hancock has been out of action for a year, it seems that there are those who think he is "washed up". How many top riders in the past have had a year off - or longer - because of injury or other personal issues? And returned at - or close to - the same level? As a Dons fan, Todd Wiltshire and Ronnie Moore are two that immediately spring to mind. Briggo wasn't that far off after missing a year and a half... So, I have no reason to suspect that Hancock wouldn't be able to compete at GP level...
-
Tell me, John, as a respected speedway and sports journalist (who by his own admission wasn't a speedway and sports journalist), have you ever considered engaging in an intellectual conversation by using fact, logic, and reason (rather than astonishingly defensive behaviour and untruths), to substantiate your viewpoint? Of all the fabricated and emotional nonsense you have posted, blowing a gasket simply because I asked if you watched the GP's was by far the most unexpected, yet entertaining aspect of this episode. I truly never realised that watching television was that private and embarrassing a subject to you. Is the stigma of being known not to watch - or even be interested in - modern speedway too much to bear? Even though you think it is extremely dull and tedious; or "boring" as you so eloquently stated. Please, we are not all idiots on here, and we don't like being treated like idiots. Neither do I enjoy having my profession dismissed simply because you aren't smart enough to know that dartboards aren't made of cork, or that darts is actually a well-attended and highly-skilled major international sport... Steve
-
Favourite Rider and team you support favorite rider
chunky replied to johnyson66's topic in Speedway News and Discussions
That is probably the best description I have seen of Bernie... -
Favourite Rider and team you support favorite rider
chunky replied to johnyson66's topic in Speedway News and Discussions
I can't believe all these 'Boro fans on here, and NOBODY has mentioned the Cleveland Park legend himself, Pete Reading... -
I never used to write it mine, but a lot of them were covered in autographs. Those really aren't replaceable...
-
With me, the programmes bring back personal memories, but that isn't all of it. We had a lot of others from the 30's, 40's, and 50's, and I love the historical value. Worst thing is that we had most of the World Final progs, including Malmo 1961. I really wish I still had those...