Jump to content
British Speedway Forum

chunky

Members
  • Posts

    24,276
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    29

Everything posted by chunky

  1. Schneeweiss, actually. A very famous name in Austrian motorcycling, he was killed at Graz on October 4, 1947. Steve
  2. It seems quite possible that it was JEAN Berthet. Apparently a versatile motorcyclist, he was predominantly known as a grass-tracker. He was killed on September 19, 1948, in practice at the Velodrome de Plan-les-Ouartes in Geneva. Steve
  3. Speedway in November??? You 'avin a larf, Del-Boy??? The season NEVER runs that late... Sorry, but the double-header at Waterden Rd was staged on November 1, 1976. We beat the Hawks 49-29 in the first match, and then Hackney downed the Rebels 42-36. The Warners Holiday Chase was held on October 29, with Ole Olsen the winner. Steve
  4. I agree. Honestly, I was really no fan of his, but nobody could - or should - argue about his ability. He did suffer from injury and bad luck, but even so, he was an incredible rider. To be fair, I never saw Jason Crump as a World Champion, due to his temperament as a young man. However, he matured, and showed us what he can really do. Sadly, Kenny Carter never gave himself the opportunity to do the same. Steve
  5. Well, I know he was still alive in 2007... Steve
  6. Eddie moved on to Belle Vue, but never developed as he should have done - given his potential at Newcastle - and returned to the US. Steve
  7. If Arthur Payne is still with us (and I haven't been able to find any reports of his passing) he would actually be 86 now, and not 85 (born August 1923). Steve
  8. Well, he wasn't German; he was Austrian. He did ride for Exeter, though. Steve
  9. I was just going to say Vic Duggan and Jack Parker, but I'm too late. Therefore, I will add the name of Vic Huxley to the list. Steve PS Derek, I fully endorse your views regarding Messrs Loram and Havelock.
  10. Okay, we could be heading towards a totally different thread now... How about Henry Long and Gerald Short? Steve
  11. ...and I mentioned some of those just a few days ago! Steve
  12. Hmmm... Does that mean they figured the "power" button on the remote could be used to interact with Justin Elkins??? Steve
  13. Don't forget also, that years ago, the Y/B helmet colour was actually yellow with a black hoop, rather than quartered. Don't know when the quarters became standard... Steve
  14. Ettienne Olivier (with a second "I") - and you are correct about him being a South African. Steve
  15. Well, they also loved using nicknames back then, like : Squib Burton Yank Harrison Dusty Haigh Speed Formby Buster Frogley Bunny Wilcox Crazy Hutchins Skid Knock Acorn Dobson Nobby Key Hurricane Hampson Bronco Bianchi Crasher Coxhead Smiler Henstock Smoke Robinson Winks Rice and right up there with the wonderful Stiffy Aston, we have Champ Upham! Of course, there were other great names, such as : Stewie St. George Harrison Gill Hilary Buchanan Chun Moore Norrie Isbister Triss Sharp Jimmy Pink Ralston Dunlop Steve
  16. ...and the other Hungarian, Laszlo Munkasci. Steve
  17. I used to do that, even though it was a poxy journey going on the South Circular at that time of night. You say about the 50's? My mum used to do: Monday - Wimbledon Tuesday - West Ham Wednesday - New Cross Thursday - Wembley Friday - Harringay Saturday - Norwich, Belle Vue, or whatever... Steve
  18. Some names I liked - and couldn't possibly forget... Lloyd Goffe Philip Lac-Szyrma (Plough Lane second-halfer a few years back) Anatoli Maximov - great name for a speedway rider! Grieves Davidson Lex Milloy Archie Windmill (ah, when riders' names were masculine...) Norman Nevitt Bryce Subritzky Bruce Abernethy Ray Wickett Lisa Whibberley (wobbly!) Hec Haslinger Mike "Zoomer" Coomber Steve
  19. Again, not speedway, but what about Lew Coffin? Steve
  20. Sorry mate, I have to agree with speedyguy on this one; Jason is Phil's son, but Phil isn't Neil's son. Of course, another "three-generation" family would be the Dugards, but I really don't think anyone was around THAT long! Steve
  21. I never knew Graham Miles was 6'4"!!! Steve
  22. Please don't start Bob off again... Steve
  23. Not that I'd heard any rumours, but that's good to know. Dennis was always one of my favourite Americans. So, has he given up on the speedboating? Steve
  24. ...............................M......R......P......CMA 1973 Coatbridge.....2......7.......1......0.57 1976 Hull.................8.....32.....70.....8.75
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy