-
Posts
24,276 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
29
Everything posted by chunky
-
Sorry I'm a few days late, but here goes... 1969 Wembley - My main memory is Torbjorn Harryson's horrendous crash. 1978 Wembley - What a brilliant performance from Jerzy Rembas, but what about Jessup's EF? 1981 Wembley - I can't add anything to what has been said... 1982 Los Angeles - Whatever anyone says, it was still a fantastic place to go for a final. 1983 Norden - Brilliant display by Muller; a worthy champion. 1985 Bradford - I took Keith Yorke up there with me to see Kelvin. 1987 Amsterdam - Made a nice little holiday out of that one. Steve
-
According to "The Complete History of the B.L." : ....................................M......R......P......CMA 1988....Wimbledon......5.....16.....18.....4.50 1988....M. Keynes......15.....56.....85.....6.07 1989....M. Keynes......26....124...184....5.94 1990....Eastbourne...34....177...287.....6.49 Unfortunately, I don't have any stats from 1991 onwards, but I do recall Tony being a fairly competent rider. He also did a bit of grass-track; I remember going to see Maxine Hill racing somewhere out Caterham way, and Tony was there too. Steve
-
It was pretty brief, but according to "The Complete History of the British League", this is it: .................................M.......R.......P.......CMA 1970 Doncaster.......31....125....156.....4.99 1971 Birmingham.....31....107....118.....4.41 Steve
-
Yep, I'm pretty sure it was the 1978 I-C Final also, as that is Ila Teromaa. Steve
-
That's right. Ricky flies for Angel Flight, a free Australian air service for non-emergency medical patients, and charities such as the Red Cross. You can check out their website at www.angelflight.org.au. Steve
-
The pork and stuffing sarnies -and the pork scratchings - at Cradley!!! Steve
-
I just hope Justin Elkins never gets a pilot's licence, then... Steve
-
He died in 1995. There is quite a bit of stuff on him online, and obviously, he led quite an eventful life. Sad, but thanks for checking. Well, he was getting on in years when Wimbledon were still running. Steve
-
Perhaps the most notable was Flight Lieutenant George Pepper, DFC & Bar. He was awarded the Dinstinguished Flying Cross in August 1942 after shooting down a Ju-88. Pepper was involved in the destruction of several enemy aircraft, including three Dornier 217's in a single battle. George Pepper was killed in a training accident on November 17, 1942. He was testing a new Bristol Beaufighter at Rochester in Kent. Although already mentioned, Frank Charles lost his life in a gliding accident over Dunstable Downs, on July 15, 1939. It appears that Chris Julian was killed in his home-made gyrocopter sometime in 1997. Of course, the original "Great Dane", Morian Hansen, is another of note. Hansen received his flying certificate on 12th October, 1935, at the Herts and Essex Flying Club at Broxbourne (apparently, many other speedway stars were doing the same at this time). He joined the RAF in 1939 (one of the first, if not THE first Danish airman to join the RAF), and on 4th February, 1940, he was promoted to Pilot Officer. On the night of 25/26 July, 1940, in the skies over over Dortmund, Hansen's Wellington shot down a Messerschmitt 110. This was the first time a British night bomber had downed a German night fighter, and on 7 July 1941, he was awarded the DFC for this action. Also receiving the George Medal (for an unrelated incident), Hansen later set up flying schools in Denmark, at Kastrup and Skovlunde. Steve
-
He was born in Birmingham, on October 3, 1928. Steve
-
Derek actually started out in the early '50's, perhaps even the late '40's. Yep, he was around a long time. Steve
-
OY!!! I represent that remark!!! Of course, I didn't have a beard then... Steve
-
I had a couple of mugs of Bovril yesterday! Oh dear, Jim; you've just gone way down in my estimation... Steve
-
Yep, from a blood clot after a routine hip replacement. Jim was a good friend. Steve
-
That's why I had the angry face, 'cos of that damn idiot grabbing the hose! Steve
-
REALLY!!! Steve
-
I treated as a joke... Really? I think you may actually me confusing me with someone else, because I really can't remember doing that. Of course, my mind may be going... I seem to remember that; that was at WFC, wasn't it? Dear old Jim Tebby was a great footballer, and I think it was at that match where he scored a beautiful goal from the edge of the box in front of the West Bank! Anyone know if Viv's still with us? Steve
-
Okay smart-arse... Anyway, I never did get any of Wally's recordings. However, one of my most cherished possessions from the 70's is an LP of the 1974 World Final, narrated by Chris Carter! How many of you remember, or even had knowledge of, that? Other memories? There are : The London Cup! Viv Harwood and the Speedway Riders XI Alan Weeks doing the BBC commentary for the Wills Internationale The Wills Internationale Don Clarke writing for the Sunday Mirror Going to Hackney for the Bonanza Best Pairs, and getting a free stick of rock Best Pairs meetings Ronnie Greene, Charlie Knott, Charles Ochiltree, Bill Bridgett, and Liz Taylor Steve
-
I know it's your thread, but stop hogging the damn thing, Tony! You keep beating me to it... Anyway, others are : The VW Grand Prix Paul Dowdall beating Eric Boocock in a second half in 1974 Being passed on the roads by riders driving at 90 mph Being passed on the roads by cars with speedway sun visors and stickers Test Matches The dreaded "rider control" (can't say we miss that, though - just a memory) Having to queue up to get in to a meeting WCQR Norway having more than one rider and, in the same vein... Riders representing their own countries, and not being allowed to switch just 'cos they have a poxy licence Getting home, and having to get shale out of your clothes and your hair Bowyer's meat pies at Wimbledon Supporting riders who were older than me! After Radio Luxembourg, listening to the results on LBC (that's for us Londoners) Kids who pretended they were speedway riders by sticking their foot in a crushed coke can Mrs. Dorothy Charles Batson When riders weren't scared of racing at Exeter The 50-points limit Further to your point, Tony, when the British Final meant something... The dear old JAP Meeting riders at Watford Gap services on the way home from a Saturday meeting Getting to Wembley six hours before the meeting started Colin Richardson clocking 60 seconds dead during the 1977 NLRC Steve
-
In addition to some of the fabulous tear-jerkers already mentioned, here are some other things I remember (not all from the 70's though) : Badges with year bars Buying Trebor Bitter Orange and Bitter Cherry hard sweets from the kiosk under the second bend at Wimbledon The Golden Helmet Ken Tozer introducing "Hedgehopper" and "Slim Jim Tebby" Speedway Express and Speedway Post Black leathers Not knowing what a "blue groove" was Custom House Star riders from other tracks competing in the second half "With a 2-4-6-8, Who do we appreciate?" Wright-Wood Reading the league results in the Daily Mirror Chrome bikes Riders jumping on someone else's chrome bike when theirs wouldn't start! Alf Jarrett selling the photos at Wimbledon "Make It a Date, Friday at Eight" Olle Nygren's white boots Barry Crowson's blue facemask Ronnie Moore's green scarf £5 fines for delaying the start Eddie Novak, a well-known supporter who used to travel by motorbike Torchlight parades at Plough Lane The Superama Riders wearing footy socks The Winged Wheel Having to leave in the morning in order to get to Belle Vue in time Bobble hats "Angus Kix's Glamour League" in Speedway Star "Seery's Statistics" in Speedway Star After-the-meeting practices For the real old 'uns, "Supplementary reserves", although I never did figure out what the term meant… Steve
-
Great to hear from you, Stavros! I was one of the Wimbledon Pit Bend Loonies, and we used to love having you guys down there. Those were the days... Steve
-
Well spotted, that man! In fact, it appears that the crowd was a trifle under 80,000 that night. I watched on TV too, and I'll never forget Briggo's terrible crash. Steve
-
Two extremely valid points, and you beat me to it! However, I believe that the limit was imposed on evening events also. Something else to remember is that in the late 50's, speedway went through some troubled times, with very few tracks in operation. That would explain the one "50,000 ish" figure that Jeff. mentioned. It wasn't until the PL really got established that speedway "boomed" again, which is reflected in the much better figures post-1962. Steve
-
Yep, I remember that night well. That was the week before the 1977 I-C Final, and I got both their autographs too! Steve
-
...and spent some time riding in the German Bundesliga. Both also rode for Halifax, Andy making numerous appearances between 1974 and 76, and Martyn appearing once in 1978. Steve