British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sandman

Soldier Boy

Can anyone shed any light on what happened to PC's number one supporter Soldier Boy? I remember him following PC everwhere. He used to travel to away meetings on a Vespa at times, and calling all the other riders Rubbish, while giving the two fingered salute to them. :)

maybe he was knocked off his Vespa after giving someone a 'V' sign???

Rumour has it he and Middlo were quite chummy. I even heard that Middlo offered him a years contract to hang loose with him for a year, and after that he could go back to PC. :lol:

If he was hanging with Middlo he's probably lying somewhere with a bottle of JD (not John Davis.... although..... )

I remember Soldier Boy very well too.

Well, not many could miss him hollering from the stand! He became quite a celebrity.

He used to follow Leicester's Ray Wilson at one time.

He used to follow Leicester's Ray Wilson at one time.

And "Follow him" is right. If Ray was riding, Soldier Boy was sure to be there, shouting very loudly at the starting gate.

If memory serves he did, after Ray Wilson retired, switch allegiance to Ole Olsen for a while.

Why was he called Soldier Boy :?:
I don't think anyone really knows. I do know his real or nickname was Demond. :?

I remember Soldier Boy well from his days at Halifax. After PC's glory days he switched allegiances to Larry Ross - he used to wear a banner wrapped around him with "Larry Ross World Number One" written on it. He used to love taunting all the top riders. He even tried to goad Kenny Carter once by chucking a banana at him.

When we moved to Odsal from the Shay he moved on to supporting Neil Evitts for some time. He disappeared from the scene & was rumoured to have moved to the south coast - somewhere near Poole I believe. Can anyone confirm :?:

Why was he called Soldier Boy :?:

If I remember,he was allways dressed in a soldiers uniform with a beret.

He could get the supporters wound up anywhere.He was a good old boy though not old.Pity there's not more people about to get the supporters more lively these days

;-)

Never saw him in a uniform, although very clean like a soldier off duty. His favourite yell was your rubbish, while giving the two fingered salute. If he is near Poole on the South coast, do you reckon he is hanging with Middlo? Wish he was on here{Middlo}, we could ask him. Over to you Steve Hone. :)

or maybe Sandman and Middlo are one and the same????????

or maybe Sandman and Middlo are one and the same????????
Uhhhh... Gotta go... :shock:

I spent a bit of time with Soldier Boy on my various travels & he was a real character. I can still remember him being chased round Hackney stadium by irate fans, & still he returned to the home straight to taunt them again before the end of the meeting.

I believe he worked as a storeman in a military establishment somewhere, but he couldn't have spent much time in the store because he travelled all over the country.

You always knew when he was in a stadium before you saw him because he used to wind the crowd up. It's a real pity there aren't more characters like him around, but there again there aren't many characters riding these days either. Can you imagine if Jack Millen were around today, he would be fined & banned constantly.

Anyway, I'd love to chat more but the nurse has arrived to give me my medication & bed bath. :P

:clown