British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tape2tapevideo

joe & tom owen

Guest BilaHora

All

What a fantastic rider Joe Owen was and such a tragedy that his racing career was so cruelly cut short. I wonder if anyone here was at Oxford that memorable night in 1983 when Newcastle Diamonds won 49:47 with both Joe Owen and Rod Hunter scoring paid twenty-one point maximums? I think the remaining four members of the Newcastle team managed just nine points between them.

Naturally, it was annoying, as a rival team's supporter, to travel down to Brough Park knowing you might as well fill in the programme with three points next to the name Joe Owen in his heats, but you got used to it.

Regards

BilaHora

Edited by BilaHora

I remember him starting at Barrow and you could see then he was going places, some great footage of him at Rye House on the Days Gone By video (Vol.1) guess I need to get issue 3 of BackTrack. Have you still got any Tony?

can someone correct me if im wrong....but here goes....if my memory serves me right joe owen dropped only 3 pts. in 1 season at newcastle.....chris turner of edinburgh beat him.....geoff pusey middlesbro beat him but cant remember the other rider ( barry thomas ?)...thats some record and dont think it will ever be beaten.....perhaps someone reading this could contact joe and ask him....takes some believing but im sure im right..