British Speedway Forum
Paul

Hackney Speedway

Who was the man who used to go around the tracks with a suitcase selling programmes from different tracks?, blimey I used to get loads of of him.

Wasn't that Derrick Neave? I got lots off of him as well.

Yeah thats the bloke, wonder what happened to him?

I don't think we can say on a Family Forum. I'll tell you when we meet up!

One question - this reunion still sounds like a great idea but is it solely going to be for those from the earlier era? I only got introduced to speedway in 1987 so the Kestrels are "my Hackney". Paul Whittaker, Moggo, Chris Louis of course, Thommo, Schoie, Micky Warren......

Terry Heath's kids - June and I were good mates - she and I had the loan of an old bike that she used to ride at training school on a saturday. Great fun! Lost touch with her years back. Remember the gang of us going out with terry in the coach to do the run back to Stratford after the meetings - we would all sit on the back seat on the way back to the stadium with Terry screaming round the bends in Carpenters road trying to scare the crap out of us!

One question - this reunion still sounds like a great idea but is it solely going to be for those from the earlier era?

Yes, two of my uncles are looking forward to the reunion for those from the earlier era only. They went to Hackney from 1936 to 1939.

One question - this reunion still sounds like a great idea but is it solely going to be for those from the earlier era?

Yes, two of my uncles are looking forward to the reunion for those from the earlier era only. They went to Hackney from 1936 to 1939.

Robyn 1972, the Re-union will be celebrating Hackney Speedway from the pre-war days right up until the end including the Kestrels. Mr Norbold seems to think it's only for the earlier era! Where he has got that idea from, I really do know! Hopefully most of the riders you have listed Robyn will be there, however Michael Warren died a couple of years ago.

Just make sure Tadpole that the reunion is NOT scheduled prior to Feb 3rd as I'll be down here suffering the sun, beaches, Bundy, beer, speedway etc until then OK???

Hey Bryn, How many progs have yer managed to get me from Aussieland? and have a word with Mst Batchelor, surely he cannot be so desparate?

Just make sure Tadpole that the reunion is NOT scheduled prior to Feb 3rd as I'll be down here suffering the sun, beaches, Bundy, beer, speedway etc until then OK???

It will be during the speedway season Bryn. May need a bit of help from you on tracking down a few former Hackney Kestrels. Should be quite a event with Mr Norbold bringing his uncles. Hopefully everybody will be over 70 who attends!

Bryn if you catch up with any former Hackney riders [or perhaps other people might] who reside in Aussie would be great if you could get some contact details. Intend to do a programme of sorts, not sure quite what yet for the great day, and some memories from the Hawks/Kestrels in aussie may well be a feature.

Thanks Bryn

I hope Archie Windmill will be there. My uncles will definitely go then!

"Just make sure Tadpole that the reunion is NOT scheduled prior to Feb 3rd"

Like I said in a previous posting your not even allowed a re-union out of season, unless the BSPA give it there full blessing, ie a couple of quid in someones pocket!

He is on the list. As far as I know the only pre-war rider still alive Mr Nolbold, is this the case?

I spoke to Archie Windmill last night and quite rightly he became the first rider to offically confirm his attendance.

Bryn, I have contact details for Bob Andrews and Roy Trigg but the challenge for you (or anyone else for that matter) is Garry Middleton. Whilst researching the book, the number of rumours (all so far unsubstantiated and therefore not repeatable publically) were huge.

Finn Thomsen is another on our hit list who so far remains unfound.

So any help will be appreciated by myself and Paul

Happy Christmas to all

He is on the list. As far as I know the only pre-war rider still alive Mr Nolbold, is this the case?

Vic Duggan's still alive, isn't he? And I think, though I am not sure, Jack Tidbury may be.