British Speedway Forum
Phil

NEW LEAGUE FOR YOUNGSTERS

You can't charge to watch kids racing, don't really know why but it's the same in all motor sports.

because if you charge to watch riders racing, it becomes a professional concern, and the riders will have to be paid... that then becomes illegal as they are still of school age and effectively means you are employing a minor to entertain a crowd.

No Doubt you will see U15 matches after main league matches... pretty much like what happened this year at most "second team" clubs where the CL match was part of a double header.

A good way forward for the sport... but lets hope the BSPA don't just leave it to get on with itself... back it... as part of the whole sport. back it with workshops, to teach the up and coming riders the maintenace of the bike, the safety of the sport, and the commercial side of the sport, how to get those sponsors interested, make it the school of speedway, and the rewards of a team place... back the clubs that want to do this.. don't just let them fend for themselves..give them the support of a professional body.

sorry.. ranting on aint i !!

That can't be quite right as they are able to pay 15 year olds (who are still at school) to ride in the Conference, must be something to with being adults & kids combined as against kids alone. I know in MX they aren't allowed to charge entry for a kids meeting but they are if it is predominantly adult with some kids races. There are also things like child actors being paid so presumably it must be legal to pay kids.

I would imagine that last years U15 Championship provided a lot more entertainment than expected so the BSPA will be a bit more likely to get behind the kids now. As for the rest the theory is great but getting the time to attend such things is difficult and expensive, just the racing is hard to fit in. Generally all the advice that they need is available once they are in the pits with experienced riders.

Vince, the 15 year old in the CL took a LOT of persuading with the right authorities, I'm not sure how they got around it though. Thats why I asked about this league, surely riders will get "expenses"?

I wouldn't have thought so, there was nothing on offer for the U15 championship.

That was a Championship for individual prestege, surely if you're racing in sa league for a club, you should get something as it's the club that gain from it, not the rider. Is 10p (or however stupid it is) a mile really too much to consider paying? How about, if rider cannot be paid, they get a "free" tyre?

I wouldnt stay behind to watch it after a meeting myself and what about lack of sleep if they have school in the morning or going to a meeting after school -kids get tired and this can cause accidents.

I wouldnt stay behind to watch it after a meeting myself and what about lack of sleep if they have school in the morning or going to a meeting after school -kids get tired and this can cause accidents.

I think the idea is that the league runs on Saturdays and Sundays, plus during the school holidays.

Keep this in perspective - we aren't talking about a 20 team league here! Haven't seen any numbers quoted, but I'd be surprised if it was more than 5 or 6 in the first season.

I wouldnt stay behind to watch it after a meeting myself

Why not? These kids could be the future and everyone should try and support them as much as possible.

I wouldnt stay behind to watch it after a meeting myself

Why not? These kids could be the future and everyone should try and support them as much as possible.

Well, me too, but different people have different attitudes.

I know someone who goes to the GPs - but rarely domestic racing. He says he ONLY wants to see the best riders, racing at their best - and that rarely happens in the Elite League because riders are trying out engines, conserving their energy for GPs etc.

Personally, I'll go to watch any level of speedway - anywhere, any time!

Yeah we do get tired after school but then again on our last race in a day of training we're tired and it doesn't really cause accidents.To be honest i'm really looking forward to doing second halves or races after meetings because i get a chance to race with a bigger crowd.And with school the day after lack of sleep only applies to younger kids because teenagers like myself can cope with not alot of sleep.I mostly stay at speedway after meetings for quite a while and watch the second halves and things so to me it wouldn't be that tiring but i suppose it depends. :rolleyes:

Will they separate riders by age or experience at all.

Peter Oakes has written to all the kids who have applied that there will be further information after the CL conference on 1st February. So have to wait and see ?

Guest SwineTown

Any firm details yet for the U15 League or is it all coming after the CL conf?

This can only be good for British Speedway, I just hope that people don't expect overnight success, it could be 10 years before we reap the benefits.

Well why do Sweden and Denmark have so many good youngsters coming through? Because of they have under-15 leagues. This is a marvellous idea.