British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Lil Devil

The most naturally gifted rider

Josh Auty - or is his name a little out of place in the years gone by section???

Most naturally talented riders I've seen for the club I supported have to be Gary Havelock, before his bad injury, and Lee Complin. Erik Gundersen had awesome natural talent and I have to mention Kelly Moran, Sam Ermolenko and Jan O Pedersen aswell.

Reading about riders I didn't see I can only repeat what has already been said that Tom Farndon was supposed to be pretty exceptional, Peter Craven obviously wasn't too bad either and how good Michael Lee could have been we will never know!!! Haven't read all postings but has anybody mentioned Bruce Penhall?

Still feel annoyed we never got to see mid 80's finals with Penhall v Carter v Lee v Gundersen v Nielsen v Sanders - how good would they have been???

You're right about what might have been as far as the 80s is concerned. It is interesting that Hans Nielsen is always talked about as one of the greatest ever - 2nd in the Speedway Star Millennium poll - and yet what might have happened if Lee and Penhall had continued, Gundersen hadn't been injured, Carter and Sanders hadn't committed suicide...? Would he still have won as many world titles as he did?

It's one of those things we'll never know of course, but great for speculation. :)

Guest BilaHora

Mr Norbold

It is indeed sad to think about how things could have been throughout the 1980s, although I think you forgot to mention Dennis Sigalos who would have been a force but for the injury in 1984.

Regards

BilaHora

Don't forget Soren Sjosten his style was unique. Another rider who had a great style was Tobejorn Harrison i doubt whether i have spelt his name right please forgive me.

Guest darren45.wanadoo.co.uk@fs

Here is one a lot may not remember, Glenn Parrott ex Ellesmere Port went straight into the team at 16 and had a great first season, moved into the British league the following year with Halifax and it just knocked his confidence, and he quit the game, looked brilliant on a bike and had immense talent, i still see him regular and he admits it was a big mistake moving up so quickly.

Guest KIWIHEATHEN

There are so many and more comming for me it would have to be Ronnie,Bruce,Kelly,Mike Lee,Billy,Eric,Jano,pc,pc,pc,lee,crumpy,boyce etc.etc.etc.

Michael Lee was the best I've seen so far, so many great riders around at that time and he could beat them all!

Don't think you can beatt the Moran brothers, also Chris Morton was quite handy. too.

Michael Lee .......... Bo Peterson ................ Bruce Penhall ...........

BRETT ALDERTON, who sadly lost his life following a crash at Saddlebow Road in April 1982, just as he started to reach his potential - a "good bloke" as well as a great rider. :(