British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
martuo

Tommy Roper

One of the Belle Vue Greats, I heard he did quite well in Hairdressing salons years ago, anyone know where or what he's doing now, is he still around the sport ?

One of the Belle Vue Greats, I heard he did quite well in Hairdressing salons years ago, anyone know where or what he's doing now, is he still around the sport ?

sorry i dont but he has agreat surname same as my own s roper

I'll ask a mate of mine.

He's from Halifax and lived in the same street as my mate.

Can't help I'm afraid.

My mate did know him well when he was riding for Halifax but when he moved away he hasn't seem him since............

I was told that he was a millionaire, I don't know whether hemade his money in hairdressing, but I had heard that he was well off.

heard it was something to do with scrap metal, but not sure but have heard he is quire well off, good luck to him.

Have you heard the one about the long-haired millionaire scrap metal merchant from Halifax................... :D

Well this thread, so far, sounds like the beginning of a joke so I thought I'd kick-start it.

Over to you folks..... :approve:

Ron :wink:

I remember Tommy Roper as one of the heatleaders in what looked like a super-strong Sheffield side at the start of 1963. Five heatleaders - Tommy Roper, Guy Allott, Jack Kitchen, Clive Featherby and, I think, Tony Robinson. Would that be right?

The funny thing about Sheffield in those distant days is that their lineups invariably looked ultra-powerful but managed to achieve little success on the track, although I have no idea why.

I remember Tommy Roper as one of the heatleaders in what looked like a super-strong Sheffield side at the start of 1963. Five heatleaders - Tommy Roper, Guy Allott, Jack Kitchen, Clive Featherby and, I think, Tony Robinson. Would that be right?

The funny thing about Sheffield in those distant days is that their lineups invariably looked ultra-powerful but managed to achieve little success on the track, although I have no idea why.

Allot was run over by the grader on the tractor I believe in a victory lap. Roper was a good solid second string as I remeber. Tony Robinson was either a world bater or mediocre but to his defence I believe he also had injury issues which led to his retirement. Jack was so smooth and a good heat leader (was on loan from Belle Vue or bought from them as was Robinson and Roper)

Feathers! well what a rider for that brief moment in his riding days, he was so hard a rider!

They were my heroes as a 12 year old. Good old Tommy was a tough nut for a womens hairdresser. Packed a punch and not afraid to throw it from what I remeber.

heard it was something to do with scrap metal, but not sure but have heard he is quire well off, good luck to him.

Wasn't it the Jay family that was in the scrap businesss. Alan and Derek too over after good old Wilf died. Remember Frank Varey bringing Wilf back for meeting as he was stuck for a rider in the old Provincial League days. He was past it but put on a show with his old style!

Yes they were and still are in to breaking cars for spares in rotherham, still think i heard thats where tommy made his money as well but not sure