British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
peterh7

Frank Shuter

Just wondering if anyone remembers Frank Shuter? I am researching his riding career and I'm interested in any recollections of him. Does anyone know why he had a year off in 1971?

He was the first rider to win the League Championship with THREE different teams!

Swindon 67,Poole 69,Exeter 74.

Very quiet and unassuming,sadly no longer with us.

FRANK SHUTER Swindon(65,66,67,68),Poole(69,70,72),Exeter(73,74)

Born ROTURUA NZ 17.06.1945

He died in a motorbike accident in the USA in July 1997.

You read the most amazing things on this website-I sure do remember Frank Shuter-mainly at Swindon but I was very sorry to hear he had died-anyone know where in the US the accident occurred-did Frank live there or was he on vacation.

You read the most amazing things on this website-I sure do remember Frank Shuter-mainly at Swindon but I was very sorry to hear he had died-anyone know  where in the US the accident occurred-did Frank live there or was he on vacation.

I think he was living in Calilfornia at the time.

I didn't know he'd died. That's a bit of a bugger.

Last seen riding at Swindon in 1988 in the "Champs are back" meeting. I vaguely remember him riding for Exeter in 1974. Wasn't that his last season in the sport?

i think he was living in california at the time, owned his own fabrication/machine shop. was married to a beautiful israeli lady i heard.

Just wondering if anyone remembers Frank Shuter? I am researching his riding career and I'm interested in any recollections of him.  Does anyone know why he had a year off in 1971?

gap year ? was part of the last Robins team to win league 40 years ago...the year i moved to Swindon...so missed it . Didn't realise he was dead .

Just wondering if anyone remembers Frank Shuter? I am researching his riding career and I'm interested in any recollections of him. Does anyone know why he had a year off in 1971?

Frank Shuter was married at the time to his first wife Julia .. His FIRST daughter Emily was born the year before in 1970. his first son Danny was born a couple of years later ..

Later years Frank married again to Barbara and had two more sons and moved to the US - eventually he remarried a third time to his final wife Barbara - His business went in the recession of the 1990's but he worked "On the road" with Barbara II to get money, and sold his work shop to Steve Millen, and began building up again.

he was killed in a stupid "20 mph" accident, knocked off by an unisured driver in a JEEP .. all his life insuarance went on the medical bills even tho they couldnt save him. His wife Barbara weas renting a house with him at the time so she got forced out. She left California and eventially moved to Indiana.

How do I know ... I married his first daughter, he was my Father in Law ...

Frank was laid to rest in California.

His business went in the recession of the 1990's but he worked "On the road" with Barbara II to get money, and sold his work shop to Steve Millen, and began building up again.

I've heard that Frank did some machining work for Larry Miner, the American drag racer in the early 1990s, and this led to him driving a celebrity bus for Miner in 1994. Frank and Barbara took the bus to drag racing meetings and they entertained VIPs at the meetings. They lived near Indianapolis that year.