British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

Unlucky Friday The 13th.

I recall Jack Unstead died in a track crash at Ipswich that evening -he had been transferred to Exeter in the PL at the start of that season-Len Silver was the star of that team-a real tragedy-anyone remember Jack and any memories to share??I think a middle order NL rider at Ipswich, I reckon he would have been a top PL rider-a big guy-ex-policeman I think-anyone recall the crash details or have other recollections of him??

Yes, it happened during a National League match with Southampton.

Unstead was partnering Colin Gooddy and was up against Bjorn Knutson and Pater Vandenberg. Jack missed the gate and went for the inside line; as he did so he clipped Vandenberg's rear wheel, lost control and crashed in to a lamp standard. He died instantly from a ruptured aorta.

A very sad day.

Edited by norbold

A case where an air fence probably would have saved the rider? Thank goodness fatalities are rare...

I recall Jack Unstead died in a track crash at Ipswich that evening -he had been transferred to Exeter in the PL at the start of that season-Len Silver was the star of that team-a real tragedy-anyone remember Jack and any memories to share??I think a middle order NL rider at Ipswich, I reckon he would have been a top PL rider-a big guy-ex-policeman I think-anyone recall the crash details or have other recollections of him??

It doesn't seem like 46 years ago, but I remember it well.

Yes, it happened during a National League match with Southampton.Unstead was partnering Colin Gooddy and was up against Bjorn Knutson and Pater Vandenberg. Jack missed the gate and went for the inside line; as he did so he clipped Vandenberg's rear wheel, lost control and crashed in to a lamp standard. He died instantly from a ruptured aorta.A very sad day.
The Speedway Star of the time reports it was Gooddy's back wheel that he clipped. A subsequent report says he struck the lamp standard with his collarbone, which in turn caused the damage to the heart. Sounds a shocking crash.

The Speedway Star of the time reports it was Gooddy's back wheel that he clipped. A subsequent report says he struck the lamp standard with his collarbone, which in turn caused the damage to the heart. Sounds a shocking crash.
evidentely he was an extermely strong man and used to use this to his advantage on the track he often was able to lift his bike over an oppenent back wheel to gain an advantage he was also very aggressive which didnt go down well with somesof his fellow riders and one ex rider who i wont name said he was an accident waiting to happen but still tragic all the same and are you sure it was peter vandenberg in the race i got it on very good authority that it was alby golden(alby told me this when he was alive

Thanx for everyone's comments.Couple of questions-I reckon Jack Unstead had been transferred to Exeter in the PL-so how come he was riding for Ipswich that fateful night-also,in Peter Morrish' excellent book"British Speedway Leagues 1946-64"-,Jack does not show up as an Ipswich scorer in 1962-even if he made one appearance and scored nothing -he probably should have showed up as having scored zero.So ...did Jack die in his first ride in the first Ipswich NL League match of that year, and did he ever appear for Exeter at all that year.Also OddF who made the comment you alluded to??-everyone is dead now so what does it matter-my guess it was Alby !! What's the answer??(Your secret is safe in forumland!!!)

Jack was an Exeter rider in 1962, but guested for Ippo in two early Challenge matches whilst they awaited Ray Cresp to arrive from South Africa. The second of which was the fateful night against Southampton.

The accident occured in heat 5 - the line up (listed in the SS) was Unstead and Gooddy for Ippo and Bjorn Knutson and Peter Vandenberg for Southampton. Reg Luckhurst replaced Peter Vandenberg in the rerun.

Amazingly the meeting was concluded and the crowd not informed, despite Unstead being killed almost instantaneously.

Edited by frigbo

Thanx for everyone's comments.Couple of questions-I reckon Jack Unstead had been transferred to Exeter in the PL-so how come he was riding for Ipswich that fateful night-also,in Peter Morrish' excellent book"British Speedway Leagues 1946-64"-,Jack does not show up as an Ipswich scorer in 1962-even if he made one appearance and scored nothing -he probably should have showed up as having scored zero.So ...did Jack die in his first ride in the first Ipswich NL League match of that year, and did he ever appear for Exeter at all that year.Also OddF who made the comment you alluded to??-everyone is dead now so what does it matter-my guess it was Alby !! What's the answer??(Your secret is safe in forumland!!!)
quite correct

Anybody know when Jack was born so how old he was when he died?? As Brian Hamilton said this all took place 46 years ago but seems like yesterday. To put 46 years in perspective that is like us being at the track in 1962 and hearing guys talk about the Somme in 1916-it would have seemed unbelievably far in the past-some of us must be getting old and that is why it is important to keep these memories alive....

i quite agree and if you can make the 20 th of july to sammy millers im sure a lot of your questions will be answered as they said infield of dreams build and they will come they certainly are from far and wide you will be in your element odd

Anybody know when Jack was born so how old he was when he died??

According to Tom Morgan's 1949 Who's Who, Jack Unstead was born in 1926, but, as I have found in the past, the birth dates he gives are not always reliable. So I'd say he was 36 give or take a couple of years when he died.

Thanx all:oddf-would like to be there, but the the bus service to Toronto was cut off last year!!

I remember Jack riding for Bristol in the1950s. He was a very big strong man-a cooper by trade I believe.