British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Finn Thomsen

Kjaer rode in 2 official fixtures for the Bees and scored 1 point from 6 rides. He was injured and missed the rest of the season.

Tilgaard rode for Newcastle in 1969. He was seriously injured in his 3rd match and never rode again.

Tilgaard rode for Newcastle in 1969. He was seriously injured in his 3rd match and never rode again.

Crash was at Brough against Hackney and to quote the Speedway Handbook "his life hung in the balance following an emergency operation after a steel wire had penetrated his throat." It goes on to say he planned to return in 1970, but I can't recall hearing of him again.

• Like 1

Thanks to all for your rapid responses.

Spoke to Finn at length tonight and although his memory of his speedway career is hazy, he came out with plenty of interesting stuff that will be in the next Backtrack.

He smiled at the memory of his 21-point max for Wolves at Swindon, but admits he was "bloody angry" when he broke his ankle at the Swindon press/practice day in '86 (it was junior Nick Bates who was also involved in the crash).

Although I mentioned previously about having rarely seen him crash, he pointed out that he broke his thigh at Monmore Green in 1976 and dioctors told him his racing career was finished. A year later he finished 5th in his first World Final. Finn seems to recall that he reared up and hit one of those horrible, old lamp standards at MG - can anyone recall the details of the incident, please?

He confims that it was his choice to miss the entire '85 season, to focus on his family life (his second son was born that year).

He admits he lacked the hunger and sheer desire to become world champion and said that there was always "a little bit lacking" in him.

Nick Bates! The second greatest rider of all time (after Brian Leonard) to come from Newbury!

For my money, the finest team rider with a really slow partner that I have ever seen.

he learnt that from the years of Ole guiding him round at Wolves - he was great with his big engine in 76, if he hadn't smashed his thigh i think he would have gone all the way. And he introduced Hans to wolves - one of my first fave riders, gr8 leathers!!

Thanks to all for your rapid responses.

Spoke to Finn at length tonight and although his memory of his speedway career is hazy, he came out with plenty of interesting stuff that will be in the next Backtrack.

He smiled at the memory of his 21-point max for Wolves at Swindon, but admits he was "bloody angry" when he broke his ankle at the Swindon press/practice day in '86 (it was junior Nick Bates who was also involved in the crash).

Although I mentioned previously about having rarely seen him crash, he pointed out that he broke his thigh at Monmore Green in 1976 and dioctors told him his racing career was finished. A year later he finished 5th in his first World Final. Finn seems to recall that he reared up and hit one of those horrible, old lamp standards at MG - can anyone recall the details of the incident, please?

He confims that it was his choice to miss the entire '85 season, to focus on his family life (his second son was born that year).

He admits he lacked the hunger and sheer desire to become world champion and said that there was always "a little bit lacking" in him.

It was by the starting gate where he hit the post if my memory serves me well at full pelt - many saying his bike was too powerful for a small track - lol; we went from top to bottom four by end of year

I vaguely remeber Finn's crash but I smiled at the comment about the ladies loving him because as youngster I remember going to the old Royal Hospital with some older girls to visit him......I remember taking him chocolates!