British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gary

Waterden Road Stadium Demolished.

last heard was going to be a medieval theme park not heard anything since. :cry:

How long ago was that Shaz?

Dont know about "medieval" but this link has few bits about the Kingsmead area redevelopment plan, if that helps.

www.canterbury.gov.uk/cgi-bin/buildpage.pl?mysql=1084

Thanks for the link 121. Interesting stuff indeed but picked up on the last line or two which reads "A preferred option for Kingsmead will not be chosen until after the city council elections on 1 May 2003". So does anyone have any updates?

I'd like to email the person on their and gave them a suggestion :twisted: :!:

In fact I might just email them and say they could put a speedway track there it's an ideal location and I'm sure there would be lots of interest locally :roll: what ya reckon anyone interested in watching speedway in Kent :?:

Thanks for the link 121. Interesting stuff indeed but picked up on the last line or two which reads "A preferred option for Kingsmead will not be chosen until after the city council elections on 1 May 2003". So does anyone have any updates?

DOH!..... I didn't say it was up to date info, did I? ;-)

121 wanders off in the dark, with his tail dragging on the ground....muttering about helping people and feeling guilty about not reading the small print on web sites etc etc

In fact I might just email them and say they could put a speedway track there it's an ideal location and I'm sure there would be lots of interest locally :roll: what ya reckon anyone interested in watching speedway in Kent :?:

Go for it Shazz - nothing to lose mate

121 wanders off in the dark, with his tail dragging on the ground....muttering about helping people and feeling guilty about not reading the small print on web sites etc etc[/size]

Come back from the dark 121, the info was greatly appreciated. I didn't mean to sound unappreciative at all. Just wish I'd seen it before the cut-off date and could have sent some emails in support of bringing the land back to its former glory.

Bugga show's how much I read of it then, just re-read and seen the cut off date! Oh well the email has not been returned yet lol

I had decided not to comment on the loss of the London Stadium, but I suppose I should say my piece on the obituary of Hackney Stadium, later to become the London Stadium.

Like the many other posts on the demolition of Hackney Stadium it holds a whole host of memories for Lesley, Claire, Sarah and myself. If I’m honest I am pleased the stadium has been put under the bulldozer. That was not the Hackney Stadium that had so much atmosphere, that I like so many other people had fallen in love with. I’ve never known anything like the old place. Falling apart it may have been, but give me that old deteriorating old stadium any day, to the stadium that replaced it. When Hackney staged it’s last meeting in 1991, it was a terrible blow. Derek Howe’s the then promoter, will be known as the man that closed Hackney. The re-birth of the London Stadium was never the same. A grandstand that was best suited for functions other than for speedway or greyhound racing. I am sad the Vic Harding Lounge has gone. I know they could not have left it there. While the stadium was still standing, I suppose we although that there might be the smallest chance that the Hawks could return to Waterden Road.

The first announcement by Ted Sear at the first meeting of the season

“This is Hackney Speedway”

Ted Sear doing a Hackney war cry

“2, 4, 6, 8 who do we appreciate, H-A-C-K- N- E- Y, Hackney”!

Of course more often than not, Len would be jumping up and down on the centre green while the war cry was in full swing.

Len saying on the PA during the at the interval, doing the weekly fiddle

“What’s the jackpot tonight Snowy”?

Snowy’s reply

“£50 Len”

The one thing that nobody will be able to away will be the marching music of

“The Magnificent Seven” Still brings a lump to my throat when I hear it.

I think when I peg it, can someone tell my Mrs or Claire or Sarah to have that piece of music playing when they cremate me please!

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/olympics/story...1072332,00.html

Seems like they dont want to use the land after all, wonder why they pulled down all the remaining buildings that made it still a stadium (all be it, unused), just days before this news came out? :x

Yes there was an article in the Evening Standard tonight. It said the Waterden Road site might still be used for alternative use as part of the Olympic bid or it might just be given over to housing or commercial development.

It really does look like the end of the road for Hackney now. :-(

Guest cheetahhawk

I was listening to Radio London at work yesterday,the John Gaunt phone in programme and Gaunty was talking to someone who has a business in the Marshgate Lane area of Stratford, which is the new proposed site for the Olympics and they said that they are going to oppose the move as it means that they will have to move out of the area which they don't want to do as it will mean their business suffers, also lots of redundancies.They said that they thought the stadium land was a more viable site for the Olympics than where their business is situated.

So lets just keep our fingers crossed that someone with pots of money comes in to buy the stadium land.

Yes there was an article in the Evening Standard tonight. It said the Waterden Road site might still be used for alternative use as part of the Olympic bid or it might just be given over to housing or commercial development.

It really does look like the end of the road for Hackney now. :-(

I thought the land was classed as sports land and had to used for that purpose

Hackney was a dangerous track in ways, but no more so than others of the day. Kelly Moran, split pelvis and poor Denny Pyeatt killed. Still had to be the hardest track to find ever, but what an atmosphere, talk about working class pleasure. I met my ex wife there in the stands by the pits, actually a good memory, Hackney was, after all said and done, a grand old lady. She took and gave. Barry Thomas was King back then, and Len Silver the effervesant showman. Sad day my friends! :?

Still had to be the hardest track to find ever,

I used to find it quite easily. Came out my house, turned left and just kept walking in a straight line. About 15 minutes later there it was.

I thought the land was classed as sports land and had to used for that purpose

As far as I know that is still the case, but Planning Committees can change their minds - especially if a brand new Olympic Stadium is to be built nearby.

I had decided not to comment on the loss of the London Stadium, but I suppose I should say my piece on the obituary of Hackney Stadium, later to become the London Stadium.

Excellent Paul loads of memories there.........Snowy love his heart with the "Weekly Fiddle" lmao, Magnificent Seven theme tune....This is my mobile tune.

Hackney was a part of most people in the South and what lucky people we were to have shared the "Friday at Eight" Experience.